Self-isolation Activities

Tending to agree with Robert that you just can't win with wooden fence posts.

Moving up from the bottom of fence posts to the top, I've spent a bit of time repairing a nest box that blew down during a gale, and re-installed it at the top of a 

post at the allotment. Just wondering are cats able to climb vertical posts?  

Then this lunchtime I carried out the threatened cooking of a Spanish Tortilla or potato omelette. You need to use waxy spuds cut into thin slices and cover the pan during cooking. Needless to say an onion and garlic also involved. Served with grilled sliced cherry tomatoes and freshly chopped basil. Nothing like as speedy as opening a tin of Aldi's mackerel in tomato sauce, but definitely yummy.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

A cat wouldn't need to climb up most fence posts, many could jump to the top of all but the highest fence. My previously mentioned 5 ft 6 in willow fence was hardly any barrier to my neighbour's cat; the cat would bound at the middle of the fence, hit the top and over without breaking stride while the pursuing Dalmatian would charge through the crumbling structure. The crumbling fence slowed the dog enough that the cat always got away. A nest box on top of a fence post? Easy for most of the cats I've known! I do like cats but most are formidable hunters. The dog to the left of this post is a 13 year old Labradoodle, she was great pals with the Dalmatian who made 16 but she's in sole charge of the garden these days. She also got on well with our elderly marmalade cat but didn't tolerate visiting moggys 

Edited by Robert M Estall
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

lucky.  in Montréal it's mix of snow and rain today.   yuk

It's now turning to autumn in the Red Centre. Temperature dropped to 26C. 

I'm still plodding through recent uploads, super-tagging.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

A bit of fun: 1; 2; 3.

And a simple solution.

wim

Goodness me, seems like the birds are doomed, the post looks to be leapable by a capable cat. 

We do occasionally see an itinerant moggie who wanders the gardens, possibly in search of the rats that  live there, so probably a good thing.

It has been reported that the rats gather potatoes and store them, but, in my experience they are content just to nibble the spuds and leave them where they are. I wouldn't mind if they just sat and ate a whole tuber, but, no, they like to try them all. I guess they are preferable to venomous snakes or grizzly bears and for that we should be thankful.

Nice looking dog Robert, I find them preferable to cats.

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

It’s only 9th April and it’s warm enough to eat outside. Because there is no road noise it’s also quiet enough. Looking on the bright side! 

Also no pollution, or at least a lot less than normal.

Allan

14 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Ok but no picnics....

We're going to picnic in our garden.

Allan

Again a lot less pollution from the A14 than there used to be.

ITMA

• Thanks 1

I'm having quite a busy time selling secondhand books through Amazon.

Obviously shops are closed, so are the big book warehouse sellers ( the book equivalent of micro stock), and people have plenty of time on their hands. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I'm having quite a busy time selling secondhand books through Amazon.

I think I might have have bought a book off you. ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’. I don’t think it had ever been opened…

• Dislike 3

35 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I think I might have have bought a book off you. ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’. I don’t think it had ever been opened…

Here you go again trying to have a cheap laugh at my expense.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

That was a bit off.

Be nice to keep it positive here in the circs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Remember when people went out in the street and had fun?

W71J9K.jpg

How many years ago was that?😉

Allan