Self-isolation Activities

Notwithstanding your wi-fi problems, Edo, but the NY Times and the Washington Post have both made all CV19 related articles free, no restrictions on how many articles you can read etc.

Murdok's press in Australia yet to follow suit, but that's a distinctive positive IMO 🙂

DD

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Dusty. I have both the Times and Post bookmarked. I listen to NPR out of NYC every day. 

My respect for the NY Times is huge, and enhanced by my recent experience where I had to unsubscribe as at the moment we really have to rationalise all our non-essential expenditures. I was contacted several times by the Times to enquire why I chose to unsubscribe, and when I explained why, the offer was made to continue at their "introductory" rate for a further 12 months, which I gratefully accepted. Of course it's no actual cost to keep me on by offering the lower rate, but just the fact they followed it up and made the offer puts them in good stead in my eyes.

NPR are brilliant too.

Keep well, Edo, when this is all over who knows, we may meet again. I'd like that 🙂

DD

Edited by dustydingo

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Aldi had them last week......

Seems a long while ago now, but last Saturday took our last drive I suspect for some time into the Cotswolds. Visited Whichford and Hook Norton for a walk around, was pretty deserted. Crossed the road to avoid others on the same path. Regretted never before visiting the Hook Norton Brewery, tours ended the week before. Whichford pottery was open, just one car in the car park, and those visitors were leaving. Never seen it deserted before. Visited Aylesbury Aldi on the way home around 5:30pm, not crowded, managed to buy the elusive cat litter, cheese and yogurts. Of course all eggs, milk and squashes long gone by then. Will visit tomorrow early after an early morning walk. Now off to stomp some local footpaths that will later be cut by HS2 if that madness continues.

• Love 1

Today started off well, I woke up.

Got up, washed, dressed, combed hair, couldn't be bothered to shave as no one was coming today.

Had breakfast, washed dishes. Now what shall I do? I know I'll clean the inside of the windows in the bedrooms and lounge as they had not been done for a while. WHILE! It must have been years, the grime and cobwebs, YUK! Anyway I got it done and I felt good. So what now as it was still only 10am?  I know, seeing as how I am into housework today, I will vacuum and dust the rooms where I cleaned the windows, wheee! I'm on a roll now, but noted the last room, the lounge, hadn't taken as long as I expected but felt quite worn out by then. It was 11.30am. I said to the bears that I was going to have a break now. Shock horror one of the bears actually replied and said, "Only five minutes." Found myself replying that I would have as long as I liked and if that was how they where going to talk to me when we moved they could think again. Wait a minute! A stuffed Steiff teddybear just spoke to me, and I REPLIED. This self isolation is beginning to get to me.

Ahrrrgggggg! 

Going to get lunch ready now. Butter chicken with rice with a spoon of Mango chutney and a fresh apple for dessert. I just had to look up "dessert" to make sure spelling was correct.

Bye for now.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

A Zoom chat with children and partners and beautiful granddaughter (in New Zealand) this morning. High-tech No. 1 son has worked out how to put exotic backdrops in his video feed so they were in San Francisco and not Beverley.

This should be in the "post something good" thread.

Probably vacuum the stairs later- they show the dirt since I painted them magnolia last year. And Allan though he was bored😀

Really caning the wine, chocolate and gin supply. Need to rein it in a bit.

• Love 1

Sally, love your birdie snaps. 

Do you know DustyDingo in Perth? He's a good guy with a lovely family. Good luck to all you folks DownUnder, with this terrible health crisis and the coming depression.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

A Zoom chat with children and partners and beautiful granddaughter (in New Zealand) this morning. High-tech No. 1 son has worked out how to put exotic backdrops in his video feed so they were in San Francisco and not Beverley.

This should be in the "post something good" thread.

Probably vacuum the stairs later- they show the dirt since I painted them magnolia last year. And Allan though he was bored😀

Really caning the wine, chocolate and gin supply. Need to rein it in a bit.

Two sons back from London have been living separately from us in the same house for around a week.Yesterday they 'came out' if you know what I mean. 

Haven't counted but probably my stock of elderberry wine is down 10 bottles this last week. They've also been guzzling all my beer and eating the cupboard bare.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sally, love your birdie snaps. 

Do you know DustyDingo in Perth? He's a good guy with a lovely family. Good luck to all you folks DownUnder, with this terrible health crisis and the coming depression.  

Thanks mate, and the same to you and everyone else reading this. Be kind, take care, stay well.

Like I said somewhere earlier tonight, when all this is over, Edo, we'll meet again. 🙂

DD

I love learning new things.

I have decided that during this minimum security prison term we all find ourselves in, I will learn some new software.

I have Affinity Publisher and Designer.  I use designer strictly to work on already made vectors, but have never learned how to do it myself.  The time is now.  I figure down the road I can save some money by creating my own vectors as opposed to buying them.  Same with Publisher.  Haven't used it as much as I thought I would as time has kept me from creating brochures etc for the business and I found I was purchasing already made mockups.  Now is the time to learn how to do it myself.

I have always wanted to learn Blender, the 3D software, so I will add that to my list of courses I will dig into.  The sheer volume of tutorials on the web should keep me interested for quite awhile.  And learning something new is never a waste of time.

Jill

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Under the circumstances, I think not......Cheers😀

Carol

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Cheers. This is no time for sobriety...

Youre ganging up now. I hope my lungs survive this but my liver's going to be in serious bother.............

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Today started off well, I woke up.

Got up, washed, dressed, combed hair, couldn't be bothered to shave as no one was coming today.

Had breakfast, washed dishes. Now what shall I do? I know I'll clean the inside of the windows in the bedrooms and lounge as they had not been done for a while. WHILE! It must have been years, the grime and cobwebs, YUK! Anyway I got it done and I felt good. So what now as it was still only 10am?  I know, seeing as how I am into housework today, I will vacuum and dust the rooms where I cleaned the windows, wheee! I'm on a roll now, but noted the last room, the lounge, hadn't taken as long as I expected but felt quite worn out by then. It was 11.30am. I said to the bears that I was going to have a break now. Shock horror one of the bears actually replied and said, "Only five minutes." Found myself replying that I would have as long as I liked and if that was how they where going to talk to me when we moved they could think again. Wait a minute! A stuffed Steiff teddybear just spoke to me, and I REPLIED. This self isolation is beginning to get to me.

Ahrrrgggggg! 

Going to get lunch ready now. Butter chicken with rice with a spoon of Mango chutney and a fresh apple for dessert. I just had to look up "dessert" to make sure spelling was correct.

Bye for now.

Allan

Yes, Allan. If you’re not careful how you spell dessert, you have to deal with sand in your throat. :D

• Like 1

I haven’t made my bed for a week. I just straighten the covers a bit. 
My skin is enjoying no makeup.

I mopped a couple of floors yesterday after sweeping, and washed a load of laundry. Today I’ll do some dusting.

All of these endeavors are so exciting, I can hardly contain myself.

Oh, well. My parrot, Echo, loves me still, makeup or no.

Betty

For 30+ years a group of my girlfriends has been meeting for lunch the last Friday of each month. So yesterday 6 of us had lunch and a Zoom chat from our own isolated homes. Can’t keep friends apart!

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Other half and I are always stumped by quiz questions on chemical elements so we have decided to learn the periodic table....might come in handy! 

Here you go. Tom Lehrer will teach you most of them in 3 minutes flat, but of course he only goes up to lawrencium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS3NOQnsQM

Edited by spacecadet