Self-isolation Activities

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It depends on what you’re piling on, Bryan. If you’re are doing veggies that have a lot of water content, that could be the problem. For instance, I prefer to stir fry mushrooms in a tiny bit of butter, slowly, and allow them to release their juices, drain then blot before putting them on a pizza. I would think squash would have a high water content.

I’ve not made a pizza in ages, but liked pork sausage that I precooked and chopped up, pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese, of course.
I like sliced black olives, too.
Betty

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have been told by my Italian relatives that I make a pretty decent pizza....I think they were just being nice but I'll take it.  I used to use a pizza stone but switched to a pizza pan with holes in it.  It gives me a crispier crust.  The holes allow the heat to pass through nicely and cook the underside better.  As Betty said, you do have to be careful how much water content the toppings have.  My fave homemade pizza is just a layer of shredded Mozzarella, then goat cheese like a good chevre  and sliced mushrooms.  I love to drizzle a little truffle oil, tho it is expensive.  I also brush some olive oil around the edge of the pizza to help it brown nicely.   The pans look like these.

Thanks for the further thoughts. We have tried Pizza pans, but the overdone topping is probably our downfall.

Mozzeralla, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil in which crushed garlic has been added is my personal favourite. (I don't eat any processed meat, and would happily go vegetarian but for the Mrs who is a dedicated meat eater.)

Today is our 47th wedding anniversary. As we’ve been together more than usual in the last few months our treat today is Ian going out to play golf while I got breakfast in bed!

Later I will put together a fancy dinner!  Duck breasts, then maybe Red Velvet cake. And a nice bottle from the special wine rack! 

• Love 2

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thanks for the responses. I've unearthed the Times article and had a read. Seems feasible, certainly worth a try.

The timings for the cooking weren't very generous, I'd say I used the frying pan for about 3-4 minutes- I judged by the smell (not burning) but I did take it off the heat to put the toppings on.

Then a bit less under the grill, although if you have any three-dimensional topping (olives, chorizo) beware of toasting them. I got away with it.

Buon viaggio.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Today is our 47th wedding anniversary. As we’ve been together more than usual in the last few months our treat today is Ian going out to play golf while I got breakfast in bed!

Later I will put together a fancy dinner!  Duck breasts, then maybe Red Velvet cake. And a nice bottle from the special wine rack! 

Bravo!

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 15:31, Thyrsis said:

I planted this weird looking eremurus  bulb  late last year. Little did I know then how much time I would have to watch it grow! And I’ve just realised I spelt the name wrong on the caption...doh! 

eremerus-lily-bulb-ready-to-plant-S35B9R

Think this has finally stopped growing, it is 2.4 metres tall!

eremurus-flowers-opening-S36ECX.jpg

• Love 1