Self-isolation Activities

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

The VII (2019) does away with the limit on video capture.

The VI (2018) was the first with a 24-200mm equivalent lens.

all side by side

wim

Wow. There is a version VII now. I'm really falling behind...

Is the first version of the RX100 the only one with sweep panorama?

19 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Wow. There is a version VII now. I'm really falling behind...

Is the first version of the RX100 the only one with sweep panorama?

I have no idea. I have not used that since my first digital Ixus.

Where in all those menu tabs would that be?

It turns out it's in full view right there on the mode dial. And all my 4 RX's have it.

wim

edit: and this is what I did with it then:

vingers3.jpg

der Körperteil im Zeitalter seiner technischen Reproduzierbarkeit

explanation on my ancient website here.

Edited by wiskerke

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

You must have quite a collection of RX100's by now. What attracted you to the V? Isn't there even a VI now?

I have 2, John. And the 100/6 is jammed. Both the 100/6 and 100/V have the improved autofocus. I gave my 100/3 to a friend a year ago. I've come to feel that these little Sonys are the best I can do for Alamy editorial stock. I also have an a6000, like you, and an RX10. 

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have 2, John. And the 100/6 is jammed. Both the 100/6 and 100/V have the improved autofocus. I gave my 100/3 to a friend a year ago. I've come to feel that these little Sonys are the best I can do for Alamy editorial stock. I also have an a6000, like you, and an RX10. 

It sounds as if the little wonders are serving you well. It's taking me awhile to jump on the bandwagon, but I've started saving up for 100/XIV, which should be out in a month or two. 😉

Back on the garden we've had no real rain for a couple of months and I'm having to water all of the crops. Somewhere in the garage is our lawn sprinkler, that could  be used on the potato  patch,   but it's buried under layers of junk. I suspect that our allotment water bill will be significant. Could use some instruction on how do a rain dance, praying for rain has had no noticeable effect. Can't recall a late spring as dry as this. I guess that there is a stock photo opportunity here somewhere, but I tend to water the crops when the garden is in shade so a challenging subject. 

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Back on the garden we've had no real rain for a couple of months and I'm having to water all of the crops. Somewhere in the garage is our lawn sprinkler, that could  be used on the potato  patch,   but it's buried under layers of junk. I suspect that our allotment water bill will be significant. Could use some instruction on how do a rain dance, praying for rain has had no noticeable effect. Can't recall a late spring as dry as this. I guess that there is a stock photo opportunity here somewhere, but I tend to water the crops when the garden is in shade so a challenging subject. 

We’re having to water daily and now that all 7 water butts and two tanks are empty we’re having to use the hosepipes.  The money we save growing our own veg is going to end up in the pockets of Thames Water!! 

And we’re also watering the ground around the front of the house to prevent movement as we’re on clay and it dries out in a drought.

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

We’re having to water daily and now that all 7 water butts and two tanks are empty we’re having to use the hosepipes.  The money we save growing our own veg is going to end up in the pockets of Thames Water!! 

And we’re also watering the ground around the front of the house to prevent movement as we’re on clay and it dries out in a drought.

We have 6 rainwater butts at the house and most are now less than half full, and they just supply the greenhouse, some hanging baskets and flowers, but no opportunity to gather rainwater at the allotment. Also using bath water for the flowers while I had to resort to do some topping up of our garden pond with tap water, don't want to lose the frogs. Mowing with the cuttings returned to the lawn. Worrying times....

Two connected water butts in a domestic garden, England, UK - Stock Image

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

We have 6 rainwater butts at the house and most are now less than half full, and they just supply the greenhouse, some hanging baskets and flowers, but no opportunity to gather rainwater at the allotment. Also using bath water for the flowers while I had to resort to do some topping up of our garden pond with tap water, don't want to lose the frogs. Mowing with the cuttings returned to the lawn. Worrying times....

Two connected water butts in a domestic garden, England, UK - Stock Image

rain-water-harvesting.jpg

We have two tanks like these ones, connected to normal water butts to take the overflow. Might be a while until they’re full again!

• Love 1

When I moved to this house, I realized it has an in-ground sprinkler system connected to free well water. I’m on clay soil, also, and have a fescue lawn which requires more water than the Bermuda grass I had in Oklahoma. I do have to pay electricity to run the pump while the system runs.

We’re lucky to have had enough rain in May that I think I’ve only watered twice. It’s beginning to get in the 80s now, and sunny, so I’ll be watering more. Upside is I heard my tomato plants muttering to each other about those strange warming rays falling on their leaves.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

When I moved to this house, I realized it has an in-ground sprinkler system connected to free well water. I’m on clay soil, also, and have a fescue lawn which requires more water than the Bermuda grass I had in Oklahoma. I do have to pay electricity to run the pump while the system runs.

We’re lucky to have had enough rain in May that I think I’ve only watered twice. It’s beginning to get in the 80s now, and sunny, so I’ll be watering more. Upside is I heard my tomato plants muttering to each other about those strange warming rays falling on their leaves.

Useful to have a free source of water Betty, our supply is metered so we try to be economical with it. 

I don't normally water grass, the one benefit of the drought is that the lawn grows more slowly and requires less mowing. I have found that even if it all turns brown, green will be restored as soon as we get significant rain, although I appreciate you are living with a very different climate and that might not work for you.

Our long term weather forecast is for showers, but another dry week lies ahead. Last year June was both cold and very wet.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

I made pizzas.......

I've become a bit of a pizza god as well but yesterday tried the pseudo-Neapolitano "searing hot frying pan followed by hot grill" schtick and it worked quite well. You get a crispier base than doing it on a plate.

I could fancy one of yours though.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I've become a bit of a pizza god as well but yesterday tried the pseudo-Neapolitano "searing hot frying pan followed by hot grill" schtick and it worked quite well. You get a crispier base than doing it on a plate.

My son is the best pizza maker. Perfect dough and a portable outdoor pizza oven! 

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Thanks 1

On 30/05/2020 at 17:00, spacecadet said:

I could do with some lessons on pizza making, tried using a stone slab inside the gas oven at high temp but struggle to get a crispy base, while they often have a yeasty taste. My wife doesn't rate my pizzas, she reckons shop bought are better (although I disagree). Possibly piling too much stuff on the top, preventing the base from cooking?

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Possibly piling too much stuff on the top, preventing the base from cooking?

Could be- try a slightly hotter oven?. It helps if it's well risen- a whole 24 hours- not sure but that might deal with the yeastiness as well. But the searing hot heavy frying pan/hot grill combo does work if you can manange not to burn it.

The technique was in the Times on May 23rd. I tried the authentic pressing-out of the base method but it stuck to the table so I just rolled it as usual.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Eccentric gardening, I've planted a row of oriental poppies outside my allotment, they look great for a couple of weeks, but then ......

Red poppies in a border outside an allotment garden, England, UK Stock Photo

At least you should be able to find it quickly in the dark.😀

Allan

• Love 1

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Could be- try a slightly hotter oven?. It helps if it's well risen- a whole 24 hours- not sure but that might deal with the yeastiness as well. But the searing hot heavy frying pan/hot grill combo does work if you can manange not to burn it.

The technique was in the Times on May 23rd. I tried the authentic pressing-out of the base method but it stuck to the table so I just rolled it as usual.

Very hot oven and preheated baking tray. Base rolled out very thin and not too much passata! 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Very hot oven and preheated baking tray. Base rolled out very thin and not too much passata! 

Thanks for the responses. I've unearthed the Times article and had a read. Seems feasible, certainly worth a try.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bryan said:

I could do with some lessons on pizza making, tried using a stone slab inside the gas oven at high temp but struggle to get a crispy base, while they often have a yeasty taste. My wife doesn't rate my pizzas, she reckons shop bought are better (although I disagree). Possibly piling too much stuff on the top, preventing the base from cooking?

It depends on what you’re piling on, Bryan. If you’re are doing veggies that have a lot of water content, that could be the problem. For instance, I prefer to stir fry mushrooms in a tiny bit of butter, slowly, and allow them to release their juices, drain then blot before putting them on a pizza. I would think squash would have a high water content.

I’ve not made a pizza in ages, but liked pork sausage that I precooked and chopped up, pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese, of course.
I like sliced black olives, too.
Betty

• Love 1

I have been told by my Italian relatives that I make a pretty decent pizza....I think they were just being nice but I'll take it.  I used to use a pizza stone but switched to a pizza pan with holes in it.  It gives me a crispier crust.  The holes allow the heat to pass through nicely and cook the underside better.  As Betty said, you do have to be careful how much water content the toppings have.  My fave homemade pizza is just a layer of shredded Mozzarella, then goat cheese like a good chevre  and sliced mushrooms.  I love to drizzle a little truffle oil, tho it is expensive.  I also brush some olive oil around the edge of the pizza to help it brown nicely.   The pans look like these.

Update International Alum Perforated Pizza Pan

• Love 1