Self-isolation Activities

20 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Horses for courses; he did a runner; there's a good joke there somewhere, but I can't quite get it! 😉☺️

Keep trying.🤨

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've have read a lot of Dick Francis, Allan, but awhile ago. 

Yes it is a while ago since I read them too. My wife, GRHS, was associated with the horse racing fraternity and got me into DF novels. Good writer and I often found myself reading them in bed when I should have been sleeping.

Allan

My parents were not great readers but they encouraged me which was great. They didn't have much money when I was a kid but they bought me those cheap hardback 'classics' with gaudy illustrations on the dust jackets. If I persevered with them I'd get an 'Airfix' plane kit as a treat every few weeks. They got them, books and kits, from Woolworth's in Splott, Cardiff when they went to the shops and our butcher's which was opposite. I still have them now. 'Black Beauty', 'Moby Dick', 'Treasure Island', 'Ivanhoe' and many others. It sparked a love of reading and was a huge help to me educationally. I have read a lot on that list, plus I was in to Dostoevsky in my late teens. Precocious? Moi? 😇 😀

On a photographic note I have just had delivered the big fat Joel Meyerowitz book 'Where I find Myself'. It spans his whole career to date. I have many of his monographs but good to have this chronological overview in one volume. 

Pete Davis

https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com/

https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto/

I once went along on Holiday with a couple to a holiday rental for a week. They were both speed-readers. They had a heavy box which they produced saying they thought they would re-read the Flashman books (there are a dozen I think). I didn't know them so managed a couple which were amusing. They dashed through them all and pulled out another box of something else. They were before the Box-Set in our current meaning

Just come back into the office after doing a bit of gardening. I am not a gardener, don't like it one bit, but must admit it was kinda relaxing for a couple of hours.

The garden looks a lot tidier now.

Will do the front tomorrow morning after my walk. Only two small, short  box hedges to trim then clean up.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Me too, isn't there some rumour that his wife was writing them, or did his son take up the challenge, or both?

Edited by Bryan

26 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Only two small, short ox hedges to trim

If the ox look anything like their Scottish cousins, they'll take a while to trim!😀

Highland Cattle, part of a conservation project restoring former military land near Aldershot to heathland. - Stock Image

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Yes it is a while ago since I read them too. My wife, GRHS, was associated with the horse racing fraternity and got me into DF novels. Good writer and I often found myself reading them in bed when I should have been sleeping.

Allan

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Me too, isn't there some rumour that his wife was writing them, or did his son take up the challenge, or both?

Dick Francis (and Felix) books are my favourites, I've just started "re-reading" them by listening to audiobooks borrowed from the library, while trying to tame my garden.  Fortunately, my memory is so bad I can't remember the endings.  Just finished Odds Against, first published in 1965, no bad language and money in pounds, shillings and pence.  I like crime/thrillers, Peter James (Roy Grace) and Peter Robinson (Alan Banks) especially.

I don't think I've read any of the books on that list, although I know we started Lord of the Flies at school.  Perhaps I just don't remember the ending....

Seen the films of some of them though.

On 04/05/2020 at 22:57, losdemas said:

Loving reading this.  It's been so tragic here to have been stuck inside, after what seems to have been the best Spring, weather-wise, in the UK (the south, at least) for many years.  Can't wait to get outside and visit some of our lovely locations here in the UK (abroad will have to wait for this era to end/a lottery win! 😂).  Been made more aware than ever of my own mortality, and would love to get to see some places while I can!

Um, if some of that seems a bit negative, it wasn't meant to be! 😁

Nothing pessimistic at all there. The travel bug is something that never leaves us. I just cannot imagine not travelling, it would be a jail. The only thing is as I get older (I just qualified for my senior card!! My head says what??!!), my body is not as keen as it used to be. My own fault, too much time spent in front of the computer. In the past, I would travel on my own to very remote and rough places, completely unconcerned about what would happen if I needed medical help. Now I am beginning to think twice. Although very healthy, I seem to occasionally catch some obscure ailments that no one has ever heard about (bursatis anyone?). It doesn't last long but floors me temporarily. If this happened in the middle of the rainforest...

• Love 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

I would travel on my own to very remote and rough places, completely unconcerned about what would happen if I needed medical help. Now I am beginning to think twice. Although very healthy, I seem to occasionally catch some obscure ailments that no one has ever heard about (bursatis anyone?). It doesn't last long but floors me temporarily. If this happened in the middle of the rainforest...

My thoughts exactly, Gen.

• Love 1

On 03/05/2020 at 09:48, Ed Rooney said:

Are the readers here a different bunch? Hmm. Here's this week's blog:

https://edostrange.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-liverpool-lockdown-so-far.html

Just read your blog Ed, interesting as always.

Surprised to see Sainsbury's Local boarded up, as ours is doing a roaring trade, but it is located near the centre of a new housing development. My wife's daily exercise comprises an early morning (6:30) bike ride while nobody is about and she has taken to calling into that shop as, early on, there are no queues.

We are fortunate living in a semi rural location with plenty of green spaces and of course our allotment, but I'm missing local travel, in particular bike rides to the coast, I need a fix of sea air. 

I've read 19 of them and i'm reading 'Gulliver's Travels' at the moment. It was a hard back copy my grandfather was awarded by his Sunday school and it has a plate in the front saying "awarded to John Keates, September 1918".

One of my top 3 would be 'Rebecca' by Daphne du Maurier, which isn't on the list. The other 2 are there, 'Catch 22' and 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'.

Never liked 'Ulysses', 'Midnight's Children' or 'Catcher in the Rye'. Each to their own I suppose.

John.

• Like 1

Interesting that you liked Catch 22 but not Cather in the Rye, John. I didn't have trouble reading Ulysses, but I don't know anyone who could read Finnegans Wake.

Bryan, there is another, larger Sainsbury's near the small one that's closed. I'm told that the supermarkets outside the centre are all open. This situation is of course stressful and boring (7 weeks now), but what I see in Liverpool I clap for. The women here are mostly overly styled and the men look like rugby thugs, but I've found them to be good people and nice and friendly. I wish I could understand Scouse. 

Do any of you forum folks see a reason why my last blog post has 118 readers (about average) while the one before it has only 41? 

Edo

19 hours ago, Bryan said:

His wife (Mary) did a lot of the research for his books even learning to fly a plane at one stage for one of his books. Felix, his son, was Dicks (Richard) manager and later in his life co-wrote four novels. After Dick Francis death Felix went on to publish more books.

Apparently Mary was also an accomplished photographer, and in the darkroom too.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Russell said:

If the ox look anything like their Scottish cousins, they'll take a while to trim!😀

Highland Cattle, part of a conservation project restoring former military land near Aldershot to heathland. - Stock Image

Corrected spelling error.

Allan

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Do any of you forum folks see a reason why my last blog post has 118 readers (about average) while the one before it has only 41?

Because you've become an internet sensation, and your blog posts are going viral. 😎

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Because you've become an internet sensation, and your blog posts are going viral. 😎

Viral? Isn't that an infection, John? 

My question (poorly phrased) was asking about the low # of readers on The Volunteer blog. Most of the others get about 100 readers. My old Mulberry Street blog got up to 600 readers. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Viral? Isn't that an infection, John? 

My question (poorly phrased) was asking about the low # of readers on The Volunteer blog. Most of the others get about 100 readers. My old Mulberry Street blog got up to 600 readers. 

Yes but you were well known in the States. Give it time and I am sure you will be well known in Liverpool too.😃

Allan

I apologise for turning your thoughts away from your allotments and gardening for a moment (my allotment is a three-inch plastic box of dirt M&S gave me at checkout). 

I've been made to observe my own picture pursuits in the lockdown—empty streets are not a favourite subject.

an-empty-mathew-street-due-to-the-liverp

Here's John Lennon yesterday looking out at the emptiness of Mathew Street that surrounds him.

My photo thinking turned to the fact that , even before the Pandemic Lockdown, I have been capturing fewer and fewer people pictures in recent years. Is it a growing shyness on my part? Maybe. But modern times has to share the blame. "Get images of people doing something," the saying goes. You will all agree that these days that something is  . . . looking at a smart phone. Basta!

Below is a collection of my Alamy images with a good number of Street snaps of people. I'm going to make the effort to get back to doing that. As soon as some people show up.

http://edoruan.blogspot.com

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I apologise for turning your thoughts away from your allotments and gardening for a moment (my allotment is a three-inch plastic box of dirt M&S gave me at checkout). 

I've been made to observe my own picture pursuits in the lockdown—empty streets are not a favourite subject.

an-empty-mathew-street-due-to-the-liverp

Here's John Lennon yesterday looking out at the emptiness of Mathew Street that surrounds him.

My photo thinking turned to the fact that , even before the Pandemic Lockdown, I have been capturing fewer and fewer people pictures in recent years. Is it a growing shyness on my part? Maybe. But modern times has to share the blame. "Get images of people doing something," the saying goes. You will all agree that these days that something is  . . . looking at a smart phone. Basta!

Below is a collection of my Alamy images with a good number of Street snaps of people. I'm going to make the effort to get back to doing that. As soon as some people show up.

http://edoruan.blogspot.com

Edo

I like the one with the Nun. She looks like she is litter picking.😉

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

I have something new to take my time with now: getting to know the Sony RX100-V that arrived this morning. I took it for a walk today but was just trying things out. 

It was yet another sunny spring day with a high of 73F (about 23C). I recall one summer in Oxfordshire in the '80s when it reached 90F five days in a row. But that's unusual, eh, British people? Ninety might be what ReeRay in Thailand considers a cool day.

Yesterday, a fish & chips place on Church Street opened up for takeout. I got fish with extra chips. Today I took most of the chips back up to Church Street and dropped them on the ground for the hungry pigeons. By the time I tossed the third bunch, two dozen Herring gulls arrived. They were aggressive among themselves but not with me and my bag of chips. That's good, because they are large birds with sharp beaks. I think I'll do that again tomorrow. 

Hey, I had a $xxx sale today, so it calls for sharing.

Edo

• Love 4

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have something new to take my time with now: getting to know the Sony RX100-V that arrived this morning. I took it for a walk today but was just trying things out. 

It was yet another sunny spring day with a high of 73F (about 23C). I recall one summer in Oxfordshire in the '80s when it reached 90F five days in a row. But that's unusual, eh, British people? Ninety might be what ReeRay in Thailand considers a cool day.

Yesterday, a fish & chips place on Church Street opened up for takeout. I got fish with extra chips. Today I took most of the chips back up to Church Street and dropped them on the ground for the hungry pigeons. By the time I tossed the third bunch, two dozen Herring gulls arrived. They were aggressive among themselves but not with me and my bag of chips. That's good, because they are large birds with sharp beaks. I think I'll do that again tomorrow. 

Hey, I had a $xxx sale today, so it calls for sharing.

Edo

Love a fish and chip supper!

Great that you have had a decent sale, please can you send me one.....

Edited by Thyrsis

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

You must have quite a collection of RX100's by now. What attracted you to the V? Isn't there even a VI now?