Self-isolation Activities

One thing I've been forcing myself to do is revisit my captions and tags -- aaahhhhhgggggg, no, please, no! God, this is such an odious task. 

https://www.wiseoldsayings.com/isolation-quotes/

My regular efforts to shoot stock have weakened; just can't get interested, even though this past week has been dry and a bit warmer. (The wind is still here.) My normal life, especially these past two years, can be described as one of isolation. I go out for a walk everyday and I shop for food. No more pubs, coffee bars, or bistros. It's no fun cooking in this tiny, badly-designed kitchen but I'm doing it. 

I seem to have solved my WiFi problem by now using my Personal Hotspot to connect to the Net. I have a radio but no TV. I'm trying to relearn reading fiction. 

What are you other isolated people up to? 

Edo

• Love 4

I have quite a few images that I should be editing and uploading but just do not have the enthusiasm. I am now having my Portuguese language lessons via Skype instead of one-to-one, so I always have plenty of homework to do from that. I keep telling myself to switch off from the internet, but it draws you back :( Today I think I will finish my homework in preparation for my lesson in the morning, take a walk to the communal rubbish bins, then get out a jigsaw puzzle. Oh, and make a quiche of which I can eat some over the next couple of days, and slice and freeze the rest. 

I'm fortunate to have quite a bit of garden which is always in need of attention. Fortunately this is spring and things are starting to grow so lots to do. The only thing ready is rhubarb which is not really my favourite but will get done. The lawn is going to need lots of cutting. And repairing! Crows and blackbirds have churned up big patches hunting chaffer grubs which is a challenge. Some recommend a counter-attack with tiny little worms but it's a lot of effort for small reward I'm told. I have enough loo rolls and am not joining the mad rush to stockpile. I don't mind being isolated quite a bit, but Jane loves her private views at galleries and may find that hard.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

What are you other isolated people up to?

DSLR digitising old 35mm slides and pleased to find that quite a few should be good enough for Alamy.:)

Going for countryside walks with a picnic.

Purchased white paint ready to repaint all the white doors and skirting boards in the hall.

Repaired 2 rotten fence posts in garden with concrete spurs. One more still to do. 

Raking out the lawn moss and reseeding.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Love 1

Eight days into lockdown.

Only allowed out for essential reasons, so been to the supermarket 3 times, alone as only 1 person allowed per car unless doing essential work then 2 and they must both be wearing masks, which you can't get as there are no supplies in chemists, and 1 driving, passenger in back seat.  

We take it in turns to go to the bins daily. 

The apartment is getting a really deep clean...

In an effort to try and generate a bit more income as all my commissioned work has come to an abrupt halt I've been on my website and set up a gallery of Tenerife Landscape prints which can be ordered for delivery by mail, fulfilled by a UK based printer. As the week goes on I'll be going through my archives to add more; here if anyone wants to take a look... https://www.philcrean.com/tenerife_landscape_prints

I'm making photos of us going about our daily activities and views from the windows and terrace to make a record of these unusual times, not sure yet what I'll do with them, not for stock, but I may try and make a book at the end of this time.

I'm also playing with using luminosity masks and the history brush to work on landscape photos, a la Alister Benn, see him on youtube at expressive photography, interesting techniques...

Might set up some still life if the inspiration strikes!

Just heard now that Sanchez has asked the parliament to extend the state of emergency for a further 15 days, which will take it through to 12th April...

Looks like I'll be adding an indoor keep fit regime to the list!

Stay safe all...

Phil

Edited by Phil Crean
spelling

I've done some gardening and should do some more. Electronic projects -- making circuits out of old components and housing them in re-purposed ice cream tubs -- feels a bit too post-apocalyptic at the moment, and summoning the enthusiasm for photography is difficult. I had intended to keep DVD/YouTube binging in reserve, but have already succumbed (though the Farscape marathon is being held back as a last resort). Tomorrow I need to throw myself into some work.

I have a very big garden in home number one where I am in lockdown now. As others have said, lots to do this time of year. Plenty of veg and soft fruit will come later. Asparagus, raspberries, strawberries etc. 

Photographic work a-plenty with prints to make in the darkroom. (My studio and darkroom are on the land behind home No.1).  Many prints to make as sales haven't quite dried up yet through the gallery that sells my work and some back orders and some for forthcoming exhibitions. My still-life work I do in the studio anyway and those are made, eventually, into platinum prints. I get the platinum and palladium solutions from Italy so maybe I should spray it when it arrives.......

We can always decamp to home No. 2 and self-isolate there as we are both in the risk category. Me less so because I have no serious health issues. There's a small garden there to tend too. Both homes are in quiet villages in the countryside so we can drive out and enjoy without being in contact with anyone. We are luckier than most and we appreciate it. 

Stay well everyone.

Pete Davis

https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com/

https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto/

Hhhhmmmm... I'm still adjusting and not sure I've fully taken it in that we're stuck at home. I got out of Austria on the last flight last Sunday - with my tripod - so I have actually been running around doing some night shots. Other than that, very dull being at home and not seeing anyone. Not sure why everyone's been stocking up on toilet paper - I'm stocking up my alcohol cabinet!! Playing electric guitar - way to endear myself to the neighbours - and making use of having a decent internet connection again by watching Amazon Prime films etc. Oh I've moved back to the UK by the way. Struggling do do my day job from home; guess I'm going to get used to it. Exercise now consists of running up and down stairs as I've moved onto the 9th floor! Just wondering how many months this will last, going a bit stir crazy after less than a week....

• Love 1

Ah yes; some more concrete spurs to do!

but enough of this smug gardening chat, must be like goading those who are confined to flats/apartments. I used to live like that and consider myself very privileged to now live in a lovely old house in a rural village. With 70mbps broadband!  

Actually we (the family) went into self isolation a few weeks ago, and Ive been occupying myself revisiting my keywords and captions starting from the oldest first. 

It's been an eye opener. Some of the captions I employed 10+ years back needed a lot of updating and keywords the same. It's boring, but productive I hope. 

I've ventured out a few times but chosen very isolated rural locations. We don't seem to have the same problems over here (yet) so fingers crossed. 

Keep safe everybody. 

Edited by ReeRay

I keep busy by making up stock for the shows I won't be attending for quite awhile.  I had just bought a hoard of supplies before the outbreak, so figure I'll have a massive amount of stock made up before I get to sell any of it.  Which is good, as I figure once we are set free, people will be getting out as much as they can due to weeks of cabin fever.

Probably do a show every weekend, so won't have time to make stock then, so might as well get ahead of the game.

Will also go over keywords from older images. Benefit of being on the farm is lots of room to roam outside and get fresh air.  I feel sorry for people stuck in apartments with nowhere to go but the balcony.

Jill

Tip for anyone on Adobe subscription...

I just went into my account and contacted them via live chat and asked how they could help as my work has totally dried up due to crisis and they gave me a 60 days free on my account.

I pay annually so they just extended the next payment date 2 months ahead...

Phil

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Up early working on my website sorting a huge backlog of images into galleries in the hope that Google can find them.

Out alone in the car to photograph some churches missing from my east Suffolk coverage now back to save/upload/starting processing today's catch. 

A lot of people walking along the coast at Felixstowe today, or sitting in their cars taking in the fresh sea air and views, several fish and chip takeaways doing good business with very token social distancing.

The radio has nothing but doom and gloom but sunny Suffolk seems like a different world. 

PS) Did a blog post for the first time in ages. I am determined to pick up on this.

PPS) Port of Felixstowe noticeably quieter than normal - far fewer container ships on the quayside

www.geographyphotos.com

Edited by geogphotos

so far for me the anxiety of being a potential agent of the virus (meandering incubator) had taken it's toll, so the last week has been focused on getting my balance, and acknowledge that my lifestyle will be greatly changed over the next 12-24 months. 

Focus so far has been to go through my self-isolation, get my mental all-clear.  As my lovely sister, who will likely be called to support the Front line,  has offered me a place to crash for now, the next step moves into supporting them with education and supporting of my overactive 10 year old nephew....we have been playing chess (online) a few days now, and  as of tomorrow I become his English teacher for one hour per day.....

• Love 1

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Some ideas, here, about art, events, music, comedy, etc... which has gone online...

Good grief, John -- there's enough stuff on there to keep me busy for the next 12 years. 

Ah, Cinque Terre, the most charming 5 villages anywhere. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

3 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

Tip for anyone on Adobe subscription...

I just went into my account and contacted them via live chat and asked how they could help as my work has totally dried up due to crisis and they gave me a 60 days free on my account.

I pay annually so they just extended the next payment date 2 months ahead...

Phil

Technically, I'm not supposed to have what I have here, so I think I'll leave that bear unpoked.   I do have other programs to use if I'm ever cut off.

I've got the orchids, the 130 gallon fish tank, two full time cats and one shared with neighbors, and street vendors for whom I need exact change since I saw one lick her thumb before separating out my change in paper and plastic bills.   In case I get bored, I have a stash of crochet yarn in both acrylic and cotton and hooks, and have a helper who walks my dog twice a day and will be shopping for me.   I'll buy things from the street vendors when I have exact change and will wash the outsides of plastic bags before opening. 

And I have Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions, and still haven't gotten up to the studio over the kitchen to do the still lifes.   Mostly doing lots of social media and only watch BBC World for news. 

My courtyard means I can get sun without risking someone coming within 2 meters.  Social distancing is very hard for Nicaraguans. 

So far, just two cases reported, but the health service and a cop were recently looking for an American who was apparently tested coming into Nicaragua and who wasn't at the place he said he'd be going to.  I'm in favor of throwing such people into the lava lake at Volcan Masaya, not really seriously but....

Where I am doesn't get many tourists, so far, so good.  

My Oncidium sphacelatum has eight flower spikes that are beginning to branch and one of my Maxillarias has been blooming for over two months, now with seven blooms.  They aren't particularly showy.   More showy plants should be blooming in May and June.

3 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Up early working on my website sorting a huge backlog of images into galleries in the hope that Google can find them.

www.geographyphotos.com

I still haven't tackled my PS website -- changing to one of their new templates, reorganizing galleries, etc. It has devolved into a total mess. Perhaps I'll finally muster the motivation to clean things up. Mind you, I don't expect potential customers to be lining up at the door any time soon.

BTW, which template are you using? Can't recall.