Self-isolation Activities

20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Here you go. Tom Lehrer will teach you most of them in 3 minutes flat, but of course he only goes up to lawrencium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS3NOQnsQM

I lasted three seconds. Could not catch all he was saying. Too quick for me at my age. But I think people that can memorise things in that way are fantastic.

The Two Ronnies were good at that sort of thing too.

Allan

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Here you go. Tom Lehrer will teach you most of them in 3 minutes flat, but of course he only goes up to lawrencium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcS3NOQnsQM

That song is actually on my playlist, sandwiched between a Blondie track and the theme from a cartoon show. Yes, I'm weird.

Edited by DJ Myford
Phrasing.

My landlord's son, who is the dentist next door, has gotten an electronic keyboard with amplifier.  I hope his skills improve quickly.

More and more street vendors, which is to be expected here as the town is close to farming and truck gardening areas.  None of them wearing masks.  I bought from the one who licked her thumb to separate bills last week, but bought two bags of mandarins and two bags of green beans for C$100 so no change involved, and I washed the outsides of the bags. 

Watched lot of "Bondi Vet" and "Drunk History" on YouTube. 

Major shopping next week, probably by sending my dog walker with a list.  I'm think at this time, hazard pay for trips is probably warranted. 

• Thanks 1

Well like the many no doubt on Alamy, i have been busy processing and uploading new images ( I have a backlog ) and of course the servers must be clogged with data traffic as images are very SLOW uploading....Some have failed to upload and have to repeat again..

Best wishes to to all....keep safe and busy.

Went to a local town to the supermarket yesterday, hadn't been out for quite a few days. This is a very busy A road, part of it is know locally for very good reason as the "notorious 13 bends of death". There was very little traffic, a revelation, but we came across a fox strolling in the road, and the pheasants were getting very casual, the animals are reclaiming the streets. Clearly, particularly at night you now need to take even greater care to avoid foxes, badgers and deer in rural areas.

It was a fine morning so I went for my allowed exercise and walked around my neighbourhood. The sun was shining, birds singing, and the magnolia and camellia were in flull flower. The cherries were not far behind. There was the hum of lawnmowers. People were in the garden weeding and planting, families out for a walk, or walking the dog. All in all a typical fine Spring Sunday morning, except it was Wednesday!

We are in for a month of Sundays such as that,  probably more.

Stay safe and amuse yourselves.

Martin

Edited by Martin P Wilson
typo
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

It was a fine morning so I went for my allowed exercise and walked around my neighbourhood. The sun was shining, birds singing, and the magnolia and camellia were in flull flower. The cherries were not far behind. There was the hum of lawnmowers. People were in the garden weeding and planting, families out for a walk, or walking the dog. All in all a typical fine Spring Sunday morning, except it was Wednesday!

We are in for a month of Sundays such as that,  probably more.

Stay safe and amuse yourselves.

Martin

It looks like the government has removed their original end of lock down date. (3 weeks or thereabout).

Looks like it could be indefinite for now. At least very open ended.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

14 hours ago, Sally R said:

😊 I absolutely love birds.

And you have some truly beautiful birds to love down there, Sally. And many creatures unique to that large island. A woman in Sydney told me she had baby cobras in her garden. Really? Yikes! I was lucky to do a shoot of Australia for PanAm in the '70s, cuddled a baby Kuala and watched the giant sea turtles lay their eggs on Heron Island. 

• Love 1

I ran 11.13876051664889 ‬% of a full marathon last night, after dark, along a very deserted bike/running path. Aiming for 12% in a day or two . . .

DD

• Like 1

On 28/03/2020 at 08:58, John Richmond said:

One lathe isn't enough, Bryan.  My wife is up to three now - varying sizes and attachments.  This is her biggest one.

Mature, 65 year old, female crafter turning a wooden vase on her lathe Stock Photo

I'll stick to gardening and photography.

Can't compete with that level of technology

DIY a wooden worlpiece held in a Workmate vice with a wood chisel, saw and spectacles in the background - Stock Image

On 28/03/2020 at 08:58, John Richmond said:

One lathe isn't enough, Bryan.  My wife is up to three now - varying sizes and attachments.  This is her biggest one.

Mature, 65 year old, female crafter turning a wooden vase on her lathe Stock Photo

I'll stick to gardening and photography.

Seems a big lump to make a pencil🙂 Working in wood is very satisfying.

On the subject of drink (which was the current subject elsewhere), I picked up a bottle of wine for my birthday and made it last three days. That's probably the end of my alcohol consumption for this month. I've been stretching the supplies out to minimise trips to the shops, and have lost about 4kg so far. Another four and I'll be at my target weight, but it might be better to get there a bit slower.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

😮Three days! Three ours here.🤪

Ha ha, same here but maybe slightly less depending on the occasion😄

As for self isolation, the only product I've been having trouble getting is tomato puree, my sister managed to find some so is posting 2 tubes to me they will arrive this morning.  About 10 minutes ago, my amazing neighbour also posted 1 tube through my letterbox.  I guess cooking something is today's activity😀

Carol

11 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Ha ha, same here but maybe slightly less depending on the occasion😄

As for self isolation, the only product I've been having trouble getting is tomato puree, my sister managed to find some so is posting 2 tubes to me they will arrive this morning.  About 10 minutes ago, my amazing neighbour also posted 1 tube through my letterbox.  I guess cooking something is today's activity😀

Carol

Pizza. Make your own base if you can get the yeast but we sometimes make it with a scone type dough, like we did when the children were at home. Mmm.

Needs two hands though as it's a bit crumbly.

Need wine with that of course. Our Majestic delivery has just arrived- took 10 days😮 but we have a basic stock of about 100 bottles. So we won't run out.

Edited by spacecadet

52 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

On the subject of drink (which was the current subject elsewhere), I picked up a bottle of wine for my birthday and made it last three days. That's probably the end of my alcohol consumption for this month. I've been stretching the supplies out to minimise trips to the shops, and have lost about 4kg so far. Another four and I'll be at my target weight, but it might be better to get there a bit slower.

I am going to get a bottle of Spirytus Stawski. (A Polish Vodka 96% proof).

Not to drink but to use as a hand rub. That should kill the little b*****ds off.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My very long, toxic PANDEMIC thread is gone. Poof! LOL

I have no problem with that, but I wonder why there was no notice nor statement? I guess they're busy. 

It was VERY long! I guess they're busy. Not your fault, but it didn't end up being a good advertisement for the forum.

Never talk about religion or politics on a first date.... 😄

To stay on topic, I'm religiously (hah!) cleaning my flat as part of my staying sane activities.

Stephen

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

My very long, toxic PANDEMIC thread is gone. Poof! LOL

I have no problem with that, but I wonder why there was no notice nor statement? I guess they're busy. 

Betty's "I'm Gone" thread has also disappeared, which was a cause derived from your thread edo.

Please note that I am not attaching any sort of blame for this just making an observation.

I honestly think that your thread had more than run it's course and was surprised that Alamy let it go on so long.

Allan