Are you a wimp or a trooper?

Betty LaRue

Question

When it comes to weather, do you get out and shoot no matter the weather, or do you stay home when it’s very cold, windy, rainy, dull skies?

I stepped outside this morning. Sun shining, blue skies, but only just barely above freezing temperatures. Very windy, so the wind chill is significant.

I’m a wimp, I guess, because I’m staying in today.

If the temps were moderate, I’d be out there no matter the wind.

Of course, I prefer blue or partly cloudy skies but in flower season, I love the great soft box in the sky. Bright overcast.

I shoot during rain only if the water is gushing, I can find a flooded area and if I can keep my camera dry. Usually from the window of my car.

i like shooting snow, but only if it’s more than a dusting, a good cover, and love when it is windless and collects on fences and branches.

How about you?

Betty

• Love 1

I'll shoot in any weather if it'll give photographic results. Hate typical British grey grim skies that kill an image, so that's what'll keep me inside. As an example I applied but failed to get accreditation for the New Year's Day Parade in London today, but would have gone regardless if the sun was out which you need for the bright colours to pop. Sadly the weather was British so I gave it a miss.

Edited by Avpics

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

wimp, and getting even wimpier with age...

Me too! I used to bundle up, sit on the covered patio and shoot birds. But that was in Oklahoma City. This patio isn’t covered. Just doesnt feel right.

And then, there’s the wimp thing. 
Avpics, we have blue skies probably 70% in winter, 90% in summer. But then, you’re surrounded by water. I’m not.

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've been known to shoot the weather outside from inside. 😉

MAKBGG.jpg

MG1C7P.jpg

Yeah, Ed, I’ve stood in my doorway and shot snow myself.  I don’t get very cold in the time it takes to rip off a couple of shots. Plus my car makes a warm hide. Roll the window down, shoot in 30 seconds.

Today the sun was shining in the wrong direction for shooting a parade that was religiously flying Blue and White Nicaraguan flags while being accompanied by various police who were unarmed or not visibly armed, including transit police.  I decided to bag it as I'd gotten a photo of a similar photos, without the police, earlier.  :).  Didn't go out last night to photograph the New Years Midnight burning of the effigies of the Men of the Old Year and Its Vices, but did get some lesser shots from my window (posted to social media, not for Alamy as quality was a bit off).  Sometimes, one listens to the spider sense, and sometimes, one is just tired.  And sometimes, both.

Mostly a wimp, except if I'm covering an outside  media accredited event, in which case I have to take it on the chin!  I will occasionally venture out on snowy, frosty  or  misty days,  for a good seasonal image. But like most Brits, I find grey cloudy conditions to be mostly uninspiring, The possible exception being when I'm photographing cars,  which sometimes benefit from the lack of reflections in lower light conditions. I do like large puddles after heavy rain, as you can sometimes get  interesting reflections in them.  

I very rarely shoot inside and I don't mind snow or rain as long as I can keep my camera dry. The problem is the amount of light. At this time of the year there is 5 to 6 hours of daylight in Helsinki. I spent those hours mostly in office. And if I do get out, there's most likely dull, cloudy sky with very little light coming through. There is approximately 26 hours of sunshine in whole December. 

In June there is about 19 hours of good light a day and some 280 hours of sunshine all together. So I shoot in the summertime and upload in the winter. Actually it's OK from February to October.

Hmmm!   Wimp or Trouper?  

Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp.🤪

Allan

Then again check out some of my snow images.😀

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

In my case, when I first started in stock, I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Nothing stopped me, including bad weather. As time went on  the newness and excitement of being a stock photographer wore off. Since I already have a some of those bad weather images, I don’t feel freezing my nose and toes off is worth getting more.  Unless I can get them the easy way.

Betty

46 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

In my case, when I first started in stock, I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Nothing stopped me, including bad weather. As time went on  the newness and excitement of being a stock photographer wore off. Since I already have a some of those bad weather images, I don’t feel freezing my nose and toes off is worth getting more.  Unless I can get them the easy way.

Betty

Hello Wimpess from Big Wimp. Happy New Year. Did you have a good Christmas?

Allan

Feeling the cold much more now that I am getting on, so have to go for the wimp option. Mind you, if there was a crisp layer of overnight snow followed by bright sunshine I probably would make the effort. 

Fell off my bike on black ice about a week ago, bruised but luckily no bones broken. Should never have gone out in those conditions. A friend fell off his bike and fractured his hip not long ago - when you get older you don't bounce quite so well.  Back on the bike today to the shops but too cold for more than a brief spin, no camera involved.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Hmmm!   Wimp or Trouper?  

Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp, Wimp.🤪

Allan

Then again check out some of my snow images.😀

ITMA

At least you're not suffering from an identity crisis. 😥

BTW, I think you're right --  it should be  "trouper" rather than "trooper". Unless of course you like to wear a boy scout hat when you're out snapping photos in the snow. 🤣

27 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Same here i don't mind the cold but shoot from a car, getting wrecked gear is not worth the shot. I got a home made bean bag which makes a great camera rest against the car window opening, very cheap and very affective.

Well, aren’t you smart! I have one of those, too. Made from a piece of a denim pants leg and filled with...beans, of course. Here are two smart people! 😁 

(Don’t gag, people)

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Feeling the cold much more now that I am getting on, so have to go for the wimp option. Mind you, if there was a crisp layer of overnight snow followed by bright sunshine I probably would make the effort. 

Fell off my bike on black ice about a week ago, bruised but luckily no bones broken. Should never have gone out in those conditions. A friend fell off his bike and fractured his hip not long ago - when you get older you don't bounce quite so well.  Back on the bike today to the shops but too cold for more than a brief spin, no camera involved.

Both of my sisters have had a subdural hematoma from slip and falls. One was on ice, the other on wet leaves. One was very serious...the ice...and had physical therapy to learn how to walk again. Be very careful, Bryan. And yes, we don’t bounce, we go thud.

• Love 1