Are you a wimp or a trooper?

Betty LaRue

Question

When it comes to weather, do you get out and shoot no matter the weather, or do you stay home when it’s very cold, windy, rainy, dull skies?

I stepped outside this morning. Sun shining, blue skies, but only just barely above freezing temperatures. Very windy, so the wind chill is significant.

I’m a wimp, I guess, because I’m staying in today.

If the temps were moderate, I’d be out there no matter the wind.

Of course, I prefer blue or partly cloudy skies but in flower season, I love the great soft box in the sky. Bright overcast.

I shoot during rain only if the water is gushing, I can find a flooded area and if I can keep my camera dry. Usually from the window of my car.

i like shooting snow, but only if it’s more than a dusting, a good cover, and love when it is windless and collects on fences and branches.

How about you?

Betty

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This was a beautiful snow, not that cold, but taken from the window of my car. Yes, beanbag.

Who are you calling "Beanbag".🤣

Allan

Here has rain, volcanos, and occasional earthquakes, some times with tsunamis , but only rain and politics with occasional projectiles where I live.    One tourist and guide were on one of the volcanos when it began to blow.  The tourist wanted photos; the guide wanted to run away as fast as possible.  The tourist came out of his encounter with the volcano a bit damaged.   We did have hail once -- I got cell phone pictures, but the real cameras were on the other side of the court yard where hail around an inch across was coming down.   So, wimp when non-wet rigid things are falling into my court yard.

37 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Here has rain, volcanos, and occasional earthquakes, some times with tsunamis , but only rain and politics with occasional projectiles where I live.    One tourist and guide were on one of the volcanos when it began to blow.  The tourist wanted photos; the guide wanted to run away as fast as possible.  The tourist came out of his encounter with the volcano a bit damaged.   We did have hail once -- I got cell phone pictures, but the real cameras were on the other side of the court yard where hail around an inch across was coming down.   So, wimp when non-wet rigid things are falling into my court yard.

I've visited Masaya Volcano twice. Last time was in 2010, about two years after the most recent eruption, I believe. Have to say that I found it a bit spooky standing at the rim of the crater and staring into the smoking abyss. This image was taken in the late 90's. The volcano god was in a good mood that day.

tourists-peering-into-the-active-crater-

• Love 1

During a snow blitz in NYC... enough light from Times Square neons and snow going every which way plus occational steam clouds from underground steam system. Family was doing shopping in the nearby shops and I kept shooting until I realized my lens hood was filled with snow. Fingers went numb much earlier. I loved every moment and many of the images I got.

10481656_10153093159829133_7810189142928

• Love 1

Five years ago while still living in Oklahoma, we had a Christmas Eve blizzard. My son and his wife were at our house from Tennessee, and we hurriedly left ahead of the blizzard for our family Christmas in Wichita, Kansas, 100 miles to the Kansas border, then another 60 miles to Wichita.

Wichita had about an inch of blowing snow. The four of us left 2 days later after all snow had stopped for Oklahoma City, home. As we crossed back into Oklahoma, we saw more and more snow, huge drifts and one cleared lane each direction. Then cars and semi-trucks in ditches. By the time we hit the outskirts of Oklahoma City, there were so many trucks and cars in the ditches that they were pretty much bumper to bumper. Many were totally buried in snowdrifts.
Pulling into our street, there was a 4-5 foot high drift across our driveway. We stopped in the street and my husband and son slogged through, fetched shovels from the garage and cleared it enough to get the car in the garage. The snow wall from the clearing was higher than their heads.This all from 14 inches of snow blowing with wind gusts to 60mph.

I didn’t get a single picture. I guess I was so stunned by what I was seeing, I was just stupid. It took 3 weeks for many people to get power back. We were lucky with that, no loss of electricity.

Betty

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Well....? Do you eat a lot of beans? If the shoe fits...er...if the bag fits...

When it comes to eating beans I am a bit windy so leave well alone.😎

Allan

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Can't imagine that New York's blizzards are a match for Helsinki's, Jani, but I gave up trying to cover them. Sometimes I tiptoed out carefully the next day to observe the aftermath. 

All I can say is that the lamest snow blizzard I ever experienced was in London in February 2009. There was about 10 cm of snow on the ground, but all the flights were cancelled (including mine) and tube was not running. I would have laughed, but it cost me some 1 000 € to get home with my family the next day. 

Jani, at one point we had a lot of Russian taxi drivers (and owners?) in NYC and DC. I always felt more secure in a storm when they were driving. More recently, NYC has had more Middle Eastern drivers. I took the Subway. 

I don't mind going out to shoot on a chilly day or evening.  I was recently travelling and captured some holiday lights on a very cool evening.  Nobody else was around, and it was great!

But like others, I tend to avoid the heavy downpours, which have become the norm here on the wet coast lately.

Gotta make me one of those bean bags :)

I cannot stand the cold. Having said that, my phobia is counter-balanced by my passion of photography. 

When I was heavier into bird photography, I went to Finland in winter. The bird hide was deep into the forest. We had to walk to it in the snow before sunrise and were not allowed to leave it before sunset. I had a sleeping bag to wrap myself in on top of my skiing outfit. For some reason (heating they said, ha ha), there was a tea candle burning in a corner of the cramped hide. When I took my eyes away from the viewfinder, I noticed that my sleeping bag was on fire...

A61XKM.jpg

Now that I live in Australia, I haven't seen snow for about 8 years, nor temperatures below 30C for a long time. We had 47C a couple of weeks ago which honestly was waaaay too much, still I would not exchange for anything below say 25C. That's just me. 

Edited by gvallee

2AH392M.jpg

All the glitter and glamour will be gone soon. Clearance sales are happening now. Will there be snow? It does snow but no NYC buzzards are expected. I fear that all winter on the Irish Sea has left to offer is dark, damp, short days until spring. The rain falls all year round. I'm unlikely to die of heatstroke. But as I settle in, PTSD is settling in on me. 

Here you go, MariaK. These have a handle. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prefilled-lightweight-photography-polystyrene-WATERPROOF/dp/B00W08HUE4/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=56019303969&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8bwBRD4ARIsAHa4YyI6cYwBuRqagd6ULm1RNSH_tApksKzxQ8QPN_EXOHW6KI-fhbFLvtcaAuUKEALw_wcB&hvadid=259043514671&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046552&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t3&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13673186046169868153&hvtargid=kwd-317864347835&hydadcr=5082_1827835&keywords=bean+bag+photography&qid=1578218823&sr=8-4

• Like 1

In my kit bag I carry a big cheap orange poncho and a waterproof lens/camera sleeve just in case I am caught out in the open with no shelter.

Allan

On 04/01/2020 at 08:06, Ed Rooney said:

Jani, at one point we had a lot of Russian taxi drivers (and owners?) in NYC and DC. I always felt more secure in a storm when they were driving. More recently, NYC has had more Middle Eastern drivers. I took the Subway. 

The only cab ride I had in NYC, we were victims of the cabbie. The first time I loudly gasped and covered my eyes with my hands just egged him on into making even more dangerous moves. He spent 80% of the drive watching me in the rear view mirror for reactions.  He did things like go full speed ahead, then slam on the brakes just before hitting a pedestrian in the crosswalk or stop at a red light with traffic in front of us.

Most miserable and terrifying ride of my life.

That was the only time I ever was in NYC, and that experience made me vow to never return. If I could have presented a stone face, it might have gone better. I was unable to do that.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

Oh, Betty, I am so sorry. I have been known to tell a cabbie he will get a bigger tip if he slows down. That works. I don't take cabs very often and these days I feel sorry for them. Uber has taken a lot of their business and some who paid a lot for their medallion are really hurting. We have had some suicides. I actually agree with the idea of Uber but the way taxis were controlled in the past has left a lot of victims of the change.

Paulette

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oh, Betty, I am so sorry. I have been known to tell a cabbie he will get a bigger tip if he slows down. That works. I don't take cabs very often and these days I feel sorry for them. Uber has taken a lot of their business and some who paid a lot for their medallion are really hurting. We have had some suicides. I actually agree with the idea of Uber but the way taxis were controlled in the past has left a lot of victims of the change.

Paulette

I’m sorry their livelihood is threatened. I’m sure any loss of business is catastrophic in a city with that high of a cost of living. If they lose 1/3 of their income, it could put them out of their rooms or apartments. = homeless.

On 05/01/2020 at 02:22, Ed Rooney said:

2AH392M.jpg

All the glitter and glamour will be gone soon. Clearance sales are happening now. Will there be snow? It does snow but no NYC buzzards are expected. I fear that all winter on the Irish Sea has left to offer is dark, damp, short days until spring. The rain falls all year round. I'm unlikely to die of heatstroke. But as I settle in, PTSD is settling in on me. 

Here you go, MariaK. These have a handle. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prefilled-lightweight-photography-polystyrene-WATERPROOF/dp/B00W08HUE4/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=56019303969&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8bwBRD4ARIsAHa4YyI6cYwBuRqagd6ULm1RNSH_tApksKzxQ8QPN_EXOHW6KI-fhbFLvtcaAuUKEALw_wcB&hvadid=259043514671&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046552&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t3&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13673186046169868153&hvtargid=kwd-317864347835&hydadcr=5082_1827835&keywords=bean+bag+photography&qid=1578218823&sr=8-4

Perhaps this will make you feel better.

The weather in Vancouver has been like this for over a month now. Forget "global warming", it's "global wetting" here.

Edited by John Mitchell

On 05/01/2020 at 16:31, MariaJ said:

Thanks Edo, now I have an idea of what they look like.

Just picture about 18 inches cut from the lower leg of a pair of old jeans.  Buy a good amount of bulk beans if you can find them sold that way. In a bin.Try a Hispanic store. Cheaper.  
Either sew one end shut, or do like I did. Gather one end and use a super duper big strong rubber band a few inches from one end. Pour beans in, leaving some slack so it can drape over an open car window just barely. Rubber band (or sew) the other end.

keep an eye on the rubber bands so they don’t deteriorate, or you’ll have a mess. Those big thick ones will last several years. I’ve lucked out with some of those being used on produce from time to time. I always save them and that’s what I used.

i prefer the rubber band because I can adjust the slack.

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 02/01/2020 at 15:00, aphperspective said:

Same here i don't mind the cold but shoot from a car, getting wrecked gear is not worth the shot. I got a home made bean bag which makes a great camera rest against the car window opening, very cheap and very affective.

Haha, I was gonna write that! Yea, I've shot rain and hail from inside my car... works better than any weather proof clothing! 😃

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Just picture about 18 inches cut from the lower leg of a pair of old jeans.  

What? An old pair of jeans, one with holes and rips in them? Those are high-fashion glamor duds now. Better you should buy a new pair.