Suddenly: no more sales

I'm wondering what is happening with the "productivity" of my portfolio, and I'd like to know if any of you is experiencing a similar sudden drop of sales.

Here are my numbers for the last two years:

2017: 41 sales for $1527

2018: 57 sales for $2003

Everything was going well in 2019: I had 31 sales for $1615 at the end of August . My last sale appeared in my account on August 23.

Since then I had zero sale, and my CTR has been continually decreasing since May. It usually was around 60 and it is now hovering between 35 and 40. I kept uploading images regularly until the end of September, but I kind of lost interest and haven't uploaded since.  All my pictures are exclusive to Alamy.

It surely has something to do with the millions and millions of pics available on Alamy, but I expected to keep selling more than what I'm selling now...

Edited by pierre rochon
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your drop in sales. Funny how everyone's experience is different. This year is already my best ever on Alamy for total number of sales (152 in 2019 to date) and income is up considerably from 2018. My CTR has been the highest that I can remember during the past three months. However, this month, which has been slow so far, my CTR is back down to average (0.56). With so many images being uploaded to Alamy every day, I keep expecting the bottom to fall out of the barrel. Sounds like I've been very lucky so far (touch wood).

I think that now, more than ever, we have to look for timely subjects that aren't well covered. Alamy always has been a "long tail" agency, and the tail just keeps getting longer. Also, maintaining a high ranking is trickier than it used to be, and it will probably become even more difficult as the collection continues to balloon.

Hope I don't sound overly pessimistic... 😶

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pierre rochon said:

I'm wondering what is happening with the "productivity" of my portfolio, and I'd like to know if any of you is experiencing a similar sudden drop of sales.

Here are my numbers for the last two years:

2017: 41 sales for $1527

2018: 57 sales for $2003

Everything was going well in 2019: I had 31 sales for $1615 at the end of August . My last sale appeared in my account on August 23.

Since then I had zero sale, and my CTR has been continually decreasing since May. It usually was around 60 and it is now hovering between 35 and 40. I kept uploading images regularly until the end of September, but I kind of lost interest and haven't uploaded since.  All my pictures are exclusive to Alamy.

It surely has something to do with the millions and millions of pics available on Alamy, but I expected to keep selling more than what I'm selling now...

As I have suggested on occasions before, with approaching two hundred million images (think about that for a moment) any one contributors sales (out of more than 18,000 active contributors)  variations are going to be close to random.  

Some have a theory that frequent submissions help with rank, but I have not seen any clear evidence for this, the Alamy ranking algorithm is, understandable, a “black box”. 

I am sorry for your drop drop in sales, why not try contributing on a regular basis for a while and see if that makes a difference?  A type of A/B testing.

Edited by IanDavidson
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

why not try contributing on a regular basis for a while and see if that makes a difference?  A type of A/B testing.

This ^^^^^

I know how crap it is to have no sales, but you have to just keep on submitting.  In months where I have no sales, it makes me more determined so I upload like there's no tomorrow.  Stay positive, get your 'hate photography' head on (like my missus when she's angry, she 'hate cleans') and the sales will start rolling in.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I think that it's becoming tougher all the while, although it's good to see John managing to buck the trend.

My sales numbers and revenue grew consistently until they both peaked in 2017, since then I have seen a significant fall in both. i.e. 213 sales in 2017 and down to 179 in 2018, with 2019 not yet at the 2018 level. This is despite continuing to upload throughout the period. 

Being kicked out of Live News might have had some small influence, as, while they don't always sell at the time, they occasionally pop up later, and I no longer seek out or upload any news images.

No doubt Ian is also correct in that statistically an individual's results are not too significant and certainly that would be the case for a single month, but perhaps less so over the course of a year.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

I don't think we need to be too concerned with statistical significance across all Alamy contributors.

The facts are fairly well established ie) the number of images available for sale is growing much faster than the the growth in the number of sales. Therefore, any individual reporting improved sales has to be doing better than most others - that could be random or could be down to the ability of that photographer and an improvement in the saleability of what they are submitting.

Another related factor is that the average fee per sale is falling, and yet another that the commission paid for non-exclusive images has been cut by 20%.

All in all making headway is harder than ever even with consistent quality contributions - on average.

A previous 'solution', or at least option, to try and make this business financially sustainable was to try and compensate by selling elsewhere but now we hit the non-exclusivity penalty. Naturally, Alamy does not have to concern itself with these problems facing contributors.

Edited by geogphotos

I think Alamy must tweak the search algorithm from time to time, producing inexplicable outcomes, good for some, bad for others. 

My zooms averaged a poorly 58.5 over 10 months from November 2018 to August 2019. Since then they have surged to 130 for rolling month for no reason. Waiting to see if it leads to a pick up in sales. 

Edited by andremichel

Best start to the month ever - sorry. It goes up and down. The bigger and more varied the portfolio, the greater the chance of consistent sales. I've got quite a few on file and my income still goes up and down like a (not very enthusiastic) yoyo. 

Pierre, the past two months are the best I've ever had for sales, although the fees were not strong. ??? Your images look great. Just stay with it and sales will come back. 

Meanwhile, zip up your coat. The Quebec winter is on its way. 

Edo

• Love 1

On 09/11/2019 at 03:18, Bryan said:

I think that it's becoming tougher all the while, although it's good to see John managing to buck the trend.

My sales numbers and revenue grew consistently until they both peaked in 2017, since then I have seen a significant fall in both. i.e. 213 sales in 2017 and down to 179 in 2018, with 2019 not yet at the 2018 level. This is despite continuing to upload throughout the period. 

Being kicked out of Live News might have had some small influence, as, while they don't always sell at the time, they occasionally pop up later, and I no longer seek out or upload any news images.

No doubt Ian is also correct in that statistically an individual's results are not too significant and certainly that would be the case for a single month, but perhaps less so over the course of a year.

Thanks. I'm certainly not bucking the trend so far this month. You're right, things can only get tougher overall. I'd be up the creek without my old repeat-sellers. They usually form the backbone of my sales every month.

• Love 1

On 09/11/2019 at 11:11, Ed Rooney said:

Pierre, the past two months are the best I've ever had for sales, although the fees were not strong. ??? Your images look great. Just stay with it and sales will come back. 

Meanwhile, zip up your coat. The Quebec winter is on its way. 

Edo

Thanks Edo. The coat is already zipped up, we're expecting 8 to 12 inches of snow tomorrow.

• Love 1

While I have never been a great seller here on Alamy, I have had a strange couple of years. 2018 was my best ever in both quantity and revenue. So far in 2019 I have only 50% the number of sales, compared to 2018, but have now exceeded revenue ( high $$$), even if only by $8! Couple of distributor sales in there, but only signed up this year. With 6ish weeks to go I hope for another few sales. Time will tell.

I have a lot of exclusive behind the scenes shots of the making of War of the worlds taken when filming in April 2018. A lot nobody else has coveted. The series is at long last being aired currently. And I haven't sold anything. Its unbelievable considering the high profile the series is getting worldwide, fan interest, sci fi, movie mags etc etc. Just goes to show if you put all your eggs in the Alamy basket it doesn't pay off. Now I will have to resort to conceding in making them available for personal use, or sell them on microstock sites. Very sad. 

Edited by Marb

3 minutes ago, Marb said:

I have a lot of exclusive behind the scenes shots of the making of War of the worlds taken when filming in April 2018. A lot nobody else has coveted. The series is at long last being aired currently. And I haven't sold anything. Its unbelievable considering the high profile the series is getting worldwide, fan interest, sci fi, movie mags etc etc. 

wouldn't the production team have released similar images for free publicity?  I have a friend who does shoots for food reality shows and they get sent as part of the press kits, 

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

wouldn't the production team have released similar images for free publicity?  I have a friend who does shoots for food reality shows and they get sent as part of the press kits, 

Yes but a lot of my shots are not covered by the press, publicity etc. Some of mine are a bit more niche. sfx Shots of the dead bodies for instance, and other stuff.

Edited by Marb

2 hours ago, Marb said:

I have a lot of exclusive behind the scenes shots of the making of War of the worlds taken when filming in April 2018. A lot nobody else has coveted. The series is at long last being aired currently. And I haven't sold anything. Its unbelievable considering the high profile the series is getting worldwide, fan interest, sci fi, movie mags etc etc. Just goes to show if you put all your eggs in the Alamy basket it doesn't pay off. Now I will have to resort to conceding in making them available for personal use, or sell them on microstock sites. Very sad. 

You whined something virtually identical on October 13th. Knock it off.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

49 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You whined something virtually identical on October 13th. Knock it off.

I was wondering when you were going to wade in with your usual words of encouragement. 

Edited by Marb

1 hour ago, Marb said:

Yes but a lot of my shots are not covered by the press, publicity etc. Some of mine are a bit more niche. sfx Shots of the dead bodies for instance, and other stuff.

You may sell now that War of the Worlds is being shown, but it all depends upon the buyers requirements. Also, when PR photos are likely being distributed or can be requested, the hard reality is the media is likely to use a free photo rather than yours, even if yours is better. Knowing this, if I was in a position to shoot as you did, I would still have shot all of potential interest, and if possible, shot the key actors with a long lens, but without the expectation that they would definitely sell. Any sales would be a bonus.

• Like 1

Pierre, sudden slumps are just part of the Alamy game. During the past six months I had 60 days with zero sales and several really strong bursts. John is on to something - my own collection is a combination of classic Alamy travel and my specialty cookbook illustrations shot in the studio. The sales differences between the groups are pretty compelling, but not enough to protect me from big slumps.

So far this month, I have zero sales right after one of my biggest payouts! I check, say, “hmmm” and move on.  I should know better than to think that when I’ve had a really good month that means the tide has turned. Sometimes I’m suckered in! 😁 It doesn’t mean anything and it’s just a part of how stock goes.

I’ve had enough stress in my life from life-changing things than to stress over a bad sales month, so I. just. don’t. do. it.

On a good note, though, I’ve had a couple of zooms where mine was the only one. So I’m waiting on that $1,000 sale to come in.😉

Betty

• Love 2