2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I'm thinking of a little trip to Liverpool soonish if anybody fancies a few pints. 

I might be there again for a couple of days early October with my wife but could probably get away for an hour or one evening :)

12 hours ago, John Richmond said:

I'm old (69)

You're NOT old.😃

It is that kind of thinking that makes you feel old.😔

Think positive, 69 is still young.🤔

From one who is still a boy at 74.🏃‍♂️

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
spelling mistake. Finger fault.

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You're NOT old.😃

Allan

Ah, yes, the power of self-delusion. Now, where did I put my glasses?

3 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Now, where did I put my glasses?

They're in the garage, on the workbench. Or next to the kettle in the kitchen. Hang on, that could be where mine are.

Could be on the side of the bath.

35 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

They're in the garage, on the workbench. Or next to the kettle in the kitchen. Hang on, that could be where mine are.

Could be on the side of the bath.

Hearing aid batteries have gone flat..

Please use capitals...

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good tip, John.

I don’t believe I can swing a pickaxe, too jarring to my ailing spine. The last time I swung a maul chopping roots to lay flagstone, I paid for it dearly. If I were 30 years younger, maybe. About 20 years ago, I dug up a crumbling brick courtyard floor, hauled in sand, wet and graded it just enough for rain runoff, then installed new brick in a lovely pattern. And no, I’d never done it before.  I’m not afraid of hard work, but these days my mind says Go and my body says No. The heavy stuff I’ve done in the past is probably what’s wrong with my spine. I never understood what the word QUIT meant. I’m learning, now.

Betty

Why not harness your renowned pie making skills and bribe a neighbour?

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Ah, yes, the power of self-delusion. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Do you mean your walking-around glasses, your reading glasses, or your computer glasses? 

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Do you mean your walking-around glasses, your reading glasses, or your computer glasses? 

That why I love my varifocals - they live on my nose from when I wake up until I go to bed. I can usually find my nose ... ;)

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

You're NOT old.😃

Allan

Thanks for the remarks, Allan.

I would have replied earlier but I had to go for my nap 😊

49 minutes ago, Martin P Wilson said:

That why I love my varifocals - they live on my nose from when I wake up until I go to bed. I can usually find my nose ... ;)

AHhhh CHOOOO!

Allan

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Beat you. I have your three plus driving.

Allan

3 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Why not harness your renowned pie making skills and bribe a neighbour?

My neighbor is hiding from me. I don’t think he’ll come out even for my boysenberry cobbler. He got tired of my grabbing him while he was mowing and asking, “Mike, would you please lift this for me?” (Actually, only asked him twice in 17 months)

Hmmm, really, the last time I saw him was when I asked him what a sump pump was. I never had a basement before. He looked at mine, explained sump-pumphood,, saw debris down the well, and said he’d clean it out for me in the future. He did a disappearing act after that, and he and his wife are planning to move to Florida. That’s overkill, the next street over would get me out of his hair.

I sure know how to clear out a room. Or yard. Or neighborhood.

The other neighbor and his wife to the right have refused to acknowledge me from the time I moved in. Won’t look at me, won’t speak to me. I thought they’d be happy I bought the house, since the previous owner drank a lot, had roaring fights with his spouse, seldom mowed and had a bothersome big dog that chased his cat. Nope. Antisocial. 

Sigh...

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

Sounds like you have really foolish neighbors. Sometimes I understand New Yorkers wanting to keep a little distance since we are right on top of each other but I have so many neighbors here that there is always someone to bond with. My cat likes to go out in the hall so I indulge him and he introduces me to the cat-lovers.There must be a youngster around there who would like show off his muscles and make a few bucks.

Paulette

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Sounds like you have really foolish neighbors. Sometimes I understand New Yorkers wanting to keep a little distance since we are right on top of each other but I have so many neighbors here that there is always someone to bond with. My cat likes to go out in the hall so I indulge him and he introduces me to the cat-lovers.There must be a youngster around there who would like show off his muscles and make a few bucks.

Paulette

Actually, Paulette, I have hired a young, strapping lad to cut down a bush  last year. And a couple to do my leaves last autumn. But right now, I’m having new siding put on the house. Part covered by insurance from a hailstorm, but I’m paying for what insurance doesn’t cover. I have to wait until the dust settles before deciding if I’ve gone into the land of a pauper.

So no young, strapping teenagers will be hired for now. That leaves me on a shovel and garden fork, 😫

I’ve made friends with the lady across my back fence, two ladies across the street and one of their husbands. Everybody is actually nice and friendly except the curmudgeons next door. And I was teasing about Mike. He’s very nice to me, but they are constantly leaving to house hunt in Florida, near their kids and grandkids. I will miss them as neighbors.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Sic your African grey on them, Betty.

I think Echo could beat up their cat, for sure. That’ll teach ‘em.  Bogie the biter of my digits has a new home, as of right before my husband passed. He’s happy there, and getting the attention and love Bob had quit giving him because of his dementia. 

On 28/07/2019 at 23:23, John Richmond said:

If you can handle the weight the best bet is a pickaxe/mattock to get into that type of soil.  Hostas are 'fairly' shallow rooted (compared to a shrub or small tree) so you can chip away at the edges and gradually dig them out with the pickaxe.  Best investment I evr made for my fairly heavy soil.  Dug out an old bamboo clump earlier this year.  Took a day or three but I couldn't even have managed it with a garden spade or fork.  5 minutes yesterday to dig out a large Fuchsia bush.

Should have added = I'm old (69) and neither particularly strong nor fit.

Another member of the guild of aged creatures here, I recall wearing out a mattock while breaking in a new allotment when I was a good deal younger. 

Re digging out plants, certainly not a fork - or gripe as they are called in these parts - actually my favourite allotment tool and great for digging or weeding in reasonable soil, but you will bend the tines on tough roots etc. I would be inclined to use a spit, a long bladed very narrow spade used to excavate holes for posts etc.

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Another member of the guild of aged creatures here, I recall wearing out a mattock while breaking in a new allotment when I was a good deal younger. 

Re digging out plants, certainly not a fork - or gripe as they are called in these parts - actually my favourite allotment tool and great for digging or weeding in reasonable soil, but you will bend the tines on tough roots etc. I would be inclined to use a spit, a long bladed very narrow spade used to excavate holes for posts etc.

I have used that shovel, my first choice while trying to dig up the bulbs. Long blade. And I did soak the ground with a trickle of water for an hour or two. I even used a hoe to attempt chopping up the clumps. Standing on the shoulder of the spade didn’t get me far down, but did get me clumps of sticky soil clinging that I had to use the hoe to scrape off the blade. No way would a thump make it fall off.  I don’t have the arm strength a man has, nor the weight to throw around.

I thought the clay soil in Oklahoma was bad, but it’s like the finest loam compared to Kansas clay.

Thanks for the suggestions. Please loan me your muscles. 😊 I’ll get it done. As I said, by Christmas! I’m persistent. Stupid bad back is the biggest hurdle. 3 minutes of work, 5 minutes of rest until the spasms release. Handy chair by the work area.

I will plant something pretty there next spring that can handle strong afternoon sun. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why somebody planted hostas there to get burnt by the sun. That’s why I’m digging them up. Pretty through June, then toast.

Betty