2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hopefully. Do they have Brexit in Central America, MizBrown? 

Brexit will provide great photo opportunities. Empty shelves, queues for bread, ration cards, army on the streets. Mind you, licence prices will fall through the floor.

Oh... they already have.

Alan

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Maybe not in name my dear Edo but the underlying causes of Brexit (nationalism, populism, fear of immigration and so on...) are manifesting in many areas of our beautiful planet, not least your own native land I dare say (El Paso and Dayton). The connection is clear. With your Irish citizenship you have less to worry about from the direct effects of Brexit than other EU citizens as they are apparently maintaining the status quo - Irish and British citizens get the same rights as we have always had in either country and there is no need to apply for rights to remain or the like. 

In these stressful times, it's easy to slip into a discussion of politics. But I don't think Alamy wants us to do that. I'm sorry for my lame joke about Brexit in Latin America. I do keep up with International news but I don't shoot live news. So let's dial things back a step, people. 🤔

Edited by Ed Rooney

We have a couple of properties in Ipswich. Renting through agents is no safe guarantee of reliable tenants. One of the smart marina area flats turned into a pop-up brothel one Christmas-time which sounds amusing but did cause a big headache. We only found out through the police who readily accepted that we were not the culprits.

Deposits can be a hazard; landlords are obliged to put the sums into a Government approved scheme but there are still some cling to the practice of absconding with deposits for one excuse or another. You are in the fortunate position where you can carefully photograph your accommodation after you have solved the basic problem of getting accepted as a tenant. Hope that happens soon.

Edited by Robert M Estall

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Central America has its own set of problems.  As long as no side brings out artillery and tanks, most of the problems can be avoided.   The advantage of living outside the expat ghettos is that the foreigners are not particularly targeted by thieves, and if we stay out of local politics, we're not bothered.   The more tourists and naive expats in an area, the more crime goes up.  One problem is that for some tourists, drugs are part of the vacation.  

Edo if you are still having difficulties with accommodation rentals try here. Yes I know it is a different area but you never know it might be to your liking.

Disclaimer:- I have no interest in/with the advertiser whatsoever.

Allan

11 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I did airline shoots in all the Central American countries except Nicaragua. Guatemala was the most colorful.

AN3WYY.jpg

Guatemala is colourful indeed. The place gets under your skin, at least that's what I found. I've been there numerous times and would go back at the drop of a sombrero despite all its problems. Odd how the most politically screwed-up countries are often among the most interesting.

P.S. Unusual image. Those two might have been visiting Guatemala City from Mexico -- their faces, the woman's shawl and handicrafts don't look Guatemalan to me (certainly not Maya). Mexican indigenous vendors get around. I've seen them selling their wares in South American markets, which they probably did in pre-Hispanic times as well.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

I think you're right, John. Mother and daughter are not dressed in traditional Guatemalan hand-made clothing. The Otovalo people from Equador are also traveling vendors.

Allan, I have had Rightmove in use from the beginning. Lincoln? Is that near Washington and Jefferson? 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I think you're right, John. Mother and daughter are not dressed in traditional Guatemalan hand-made clothing. The Otovalo people from Equador are also traveling vendors.

Allan, I have had Rightmove in use from the beginning. Lincoln? Is that near Washington and Jefferson? 

Yes, the Otovalo traders are very astute business people. They venture far and wide. No expert, but I'd say that the pair in your image are from somewhere in Central Mexico. Those colourful artificial flowers are common in San Miguel. Most of the Indigenous people around there are Otomí, I believe.

artificial-crepe-paper-flowers-in-san-mi

Edited by John Mitchell

15 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

HA Ha!😀

Allan

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I love the old the best. Nobody knows how to design beautiful buildings these days. They go for “interesting” “ugly” “cheap-looking” (whether they are or not) and....”clones”.

Betty

While I do like to see a range of styles, I quite like to see modern buildings that best exploit the properties of, for example, steel and glass, it's honest architecture not pretending to be something it's not. I do have a difficulty with brutalist concrete however, there are several such buildings I'd like to see torn down. Of course the hands of the designers are generally tied by the budget restraints imposed by developers, they have to get by with very limited resources.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

While I do like to see a range of styles, I quite like to see modern buildings that best exploit the properties of, for example, steel and glass, it's honest architecture not pretending to be something it's not. I do have a difficulty with brutalist concrete however, there are several such buildings I'd like to see torn down. Of course the hands of the designers are generally tied by the budget restraints imposed by developers, they have to get by with very limited resources.

I guess you wouldn't like the Vancouver Public Library building then, which is pretending to be the Roman Colosseum.

the-vancouver-public-library-central-bra

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I do have a difficulty with brutalist concrete however, there are several such buildings I'd like to see torn down.

Grrr! Not with you on that!

The best of these buildings are masterpieces of 20th. century architecture. Here are a few. One is on your doorstep.

RJP14T.jpgW1R74F.jpgR0R05G.jpgG127P6.jpg

RJP14J.jpgEXGH4H.jpg

DC87YH.jpgH30MRP.jpgC57P2K.jpgRJP144.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

Being a young city in a constant state of demolition and reconstruction, Vancouver is also a hodgepodge of architectural styles. We had our brutalist period as well, but it seems to be over now. Personally, I don't miss it. However, I suppose there is a place for everything.

the-old-emily-carr-university-of-art-and

I was not offering an opinion on which is my favorite style of architecture, just pointing out that the varied mix serves as a stock subject. There is an overabundance of memorials and statues here also. And they're not only of the Beatles. 

W3G1TB.jpg

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was not offering an opinion on which is my favorite style of architecture, just pointing out that the varied mix serves as a stock subject. There is an overabundance of memorials and statues here also. And they're not only of the Beatles. 

W3G1TB.jpg

An enviable example of "seeing a picture".

• Love 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Grrr! Not with you on that!

The best of these buildings are masterpieces of 20th. century architecture. Here are a few. One is on your doorstep.

C57P2K.jpg

Agreed not all bad, but this one I don't miss

the-owen-luder-designed-brutalist-style-

Beautiful. The one Carter threw Cliff Brumby off.

A great modern building barely 40 years old replaced by a hideous pile of tacky pastiches that will look like slums in a decade. IMHO.

Still, at least it was only a car park. Worse things have happened.

55 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was!

It's OK, Ed, I'm allowed the odd diversion when someone maligns my precious brutalist landmarks!

Unfortunately I've only passed through Liverpool in the age of the DLSR, so all I have is this

C5YJ57.jpg

and a bunch of Antony Gormley's statues on Crosby beach.

C5YJ07.jpg

and this- sometimes autocontrast is your friend. You can just make out the Anglican cathedral and the radio tower.

C5YJ16.jpg

Edited by spacecadet