Sorry to hear that you are still without more permanent accommodation Ed. Had thought that you might have found somewhere.

Hope your present crisis passes quickly, and I'd prefer not mention the B word.

• Love 1

I'm back at the Tune after one night around the corner at the Z. The electric system etcetera seem to be functioning again.

The Tune is my address listed with the NHS, so until I get a lease on a flat, I want to stay here. As native Europeans know, making changes in these old, historic buildings is very difficult and under special controls. They are called the Belle Arti laws in Italy.  😫

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The Tune is my address listed with the NHS, so until I get a lease on a flat, I want to stay here

Apart from wanting to be relatively settled, I wouldn't worry too much about that per se. Mail from the NHS is never critical. I think I've had two letters from the NHS in 30 years.

I've had two this month, Mark. But they do text me with reminders too. 

I am so pro NHS. But I'm comparing the office I go to here in Liverpool with Medicare in the States and NHS in Oxfordshire back in the '80s. I've not spent time in hospital or had any major fixing down . . . as yet. 😯

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm back at the Tune after one night around the corner at the Z. The electric system etcetera seem to be functioning again.

The Tune is my address listed with the NHS, so until I get a lease on a flat, I want to stay here. As native Europeans know, making changes in these old, historic buildings is very difficult and under special controls. They are called the Belle Arti laws in Italy.  😫

Hope you are getting a good discount on your room for semi-permanent residency.

One time my lady friend and I were enforced into a long stay at a hotel and when the manager heard why she gave us a nice discount for the length of our stay.

Worth asking if you have not got one yet.

Allan

Allan -- 😉 This being an open forum, I try not to be specific about numbers and other hard facts. 

But I will say that the Pullman here is the best hotel I've been in since arriving in Europe. And they serve the best buffet breakfast I've ever had. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Allan -- 😉 This being an open forum, I try not to be specific about numbers and other hard facts. 

I was not looking for numbers, just asking if you have a discount and if not ask.

It doesn't hurt to ask. They can only say no or better still yes.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

I am now tangled up in another bureaucratic web trying to qualify to rent another flat. The beat goes on. 

There are places to rent. That's not the problem. Trying to get these people to accept me and my money remains a nightmare. 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I am now tangled up in another bureaucratic web trying to qualify to rent another flat. The beat goes on. 

There are places to rent. That's not the problem. Trying to get these people to accept me and my money remains a nightmare. 

I hope they are not discriminating on grounds of your age.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday November 7, 2019

I’ve taken possession of a studio flat in the center of Liverpool. I have a six month lease that can be extended. I had to pay three months in advance and will pay the second three advance in February. I’m in the process of moving in and buying basic stuff. I’ll be keeping my room at the Tune Hotel until Saturday morning. 

In Spain, a furnished rental comes fully furnished with bedding, pots and pans, wine glasses, beer glasses, water glasses. Everything. In the UK, furnished means a bed, a table, and two chairs. I have to buy everything else. Right now, I’m shopping and trying to sort out the details.

I’ll update this again in a few days. 

Edo

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thursday November 7, 2019

I’ve taken possession of a studio flat in the center of Liverpool. I have a six month lease that can be extended. I had to pay three months in advance and will pay the second three advance in February. I’m in the process of moving in and buying basic stuff. I’ll be keeping my room at the Tune Hotel until Saturday morning. 

In Spain, a furnished rental comes fully furnished with bedding, pots and pans, wine glasses, beer glasses, water glasses. Everything. In the UK, furnished means a bed, a table, and two chairs. I have to buy everything else. Right now, I’m shopping and trying to sort out the details.

I’ll update this again in a few days. 

Edo

Fantastic Edo. Really glad to hear that at last. As for the furniture well we've had 9 years of austerity so count your blessings. 😀

Really pleased for you Edo that's brilliant news.

If you can get to a store called The Range, it will have absolutely everything you need.  I've had a quick google on The Range Liverpool City Centre and found......

https://www.therange.co.uk/stores/edge-lane/

Very cheap and excellent quality...

Lots of luck.....

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change of wording

GREAT NEWS Edo.

If you are looking for any furniture try "The British Heart Foundation" charity shops. Secondhand of course.

Allan

15 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Check out the charity shops for cheap household stuff.

British Heart Foundation Furniture & Electrical, 509 W Derby Rd, Liverpool L6 4BW

The BHF shops have loads of stuff, decently priced... and they'll deliver.

Ed, if you make a list of what you're needing, you might find that locally-based Alamy contributors are able to help...

Edited by John Morrison
Whoops, Alan beat me to it...

14 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Really pleased for you Edo that's brilliant news.

If you can get to a store called The Range, it will have absolutely everything you need.  I've had a quick google on The Range Liverpool City Centre and found......

https://www.therange.co.uk/stores/edge-lane/

Very cheap and excellent quality...

Lots of luck.....

Carol

£1 for a large wine glass- hard to beat.

I think that's what Ed will need first.

LOL Lots to check out.

I know a couple here who are being helpful (and will be). He's Irish, she's a Yank. They will be helping me with used stuff in my second-level round of buying. I've bought the bedding and lamps from John Lewis. As a techno idiot and out-of-towner, I needed help in picking things out. The John Lewis staff does that. 

Any suggestions on how to reduce the rain would be helpful. 

Edo