The shopping suggestions above (Range and BHF) are great if you have a car. If you are tied to shanks pony or public transport, as I think is the case for Ed, they are quite a way out of the city centre (and mostly uphill as I recall). My knowledge of Liverpool city centre is sketchy these days as regards cheap shopping - anyone around with more local experience?

An umbrella? Is that what they call a browly or browlly over here? I think I own one. It's in one of my bags. I wear a fisherman's raincoat with a hood over the feather-light down jacket in my pic. Are you saying Boris will do nothing about the rain after . . . the Big B? Hmmm. 

I know I'm eligible, Mark, but that's a bridge too far right now. 

Tagging the weather? That's a bridge way too far. 

I have all the various pieces of bedding done. And I figured out how to turn on the heating and the cooker. But no luck putting the floor lamp together. The fix-it dude at the hotel might come by with a ladder and help with a few things. We'll see. He's a Hughes, my mother's family name. Step by step. My back hurts. 

Edo

32 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The fix-it dude at the hotel might come by with a ladder and help with a few things. We'll see. He's a Hughes, my mother's family name. 

Edo

Haha, I was a Hughes until I got married!

The Emmaus  charity shops are amazing if you can get to one of them.

https://emmaus.org.uk/merseyside/our-shops/

Ed, I’m so thrilled you’ve found a flat. What’s nice is that you are buying things that puts your own stamp on the flat, which, to me, always makes a place feel like your place.  I guess that’s why every time I’ve moved, I’ve had to change a few things.

Once totally settled in, you can get back to the stock business with your mind at ease. A settled mind is worth more than just about anything.

It’s been a looong road for you from fire to now and I respect your ability to get through it all, because I know when you were ill with bronchitis and still having to push ahead, it probably felt like the circumstances could break you. It probably would have me.

Your good news has made my day.

Betty

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

It's brolly, Ed: a word you'll be needing for a lot of your tags... 😀

One search for brolly in AoA for the rolling year.

1200 for %rain%. (% rain %; rain % and so on - didn't count by hand 😉)

1100 for %weather%.

850 for %umbrella%.

wim

7 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I'm made up for you!

I haven't heard that one before.     Sorry I have.      When my wife and I were going out together.🙂

Allan

In a case like this I would be lost in Liverpool: there's no Ikea.

16 miles away in Warrington is the one closest by.  (Here I have one half an hours walk away.)

Otoh the last flat were we moved in was 27 miles away from an Ikea. The apartment was bare and we had brought our camping gear. Rented a van next day and by midnight (after having meatballs) the whole flat was furnished. We did have an elevator which was useful, the flat being at the 9th floor. From then on our flat looked just like an Ikea ad.

Ikea US has since rectified this situation: there's now a store just 18 miles away from that flat.

Ikea UK does delivery and even van rental for around 40 pound.

We liked the brilliant starter box and the kitchen starter box so much, that when we went home to Holland years later we got the same again and threw away most of our previous stuff, or left it unpacked 😉.

However in their wisdom Ikea has chosen to discontinue these clever things.

Which means that in UK at least many have begun to offer the same service. Mainly aimed at students.

wim

edit: Oops started this to congratulate Ed!

Edited by wiskerke

Those starter boxes were great bargains from Ikea. I had a lot of stuff from their Brooklyn and NJ stores on Mulberry Street. And those good meatball too! Maybe my new floor lamp was an Ikea product? I mean I can't figure out how to put it together. 😜

Thank you for all the well wishes, people. 

7 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

The shopping suggestions above (Range and BHF) are great if you have a car. If you are tied to shanks pony or public transport, as I think is the case for Ed, they are quite a way out of the city centre (and mostly uphill as I recall). My knowledge of Liverpool city centre is sketchy these days as regards cheap shopping - anyone around with more local experience?

I've been here 4 months now, Joseph, so I've got a bit of local experience myself. (Now if I could only put that lamp together. . . .)

Edited by Ed Rooney

Such great news Ed - so happy for you!   🎉🎈🗝📫🌈

For your 🛒 list:

🔨🍳🍺🍷🥣🍽🧂🍪🔧 ✂︎

This is what I'd buy first: 🍸

Most important for those soggy UK winters: ☂️

• Love 1