Jump to content

Recommended Posts

DA7R54.jpg
Ok. Similar to Canadian bacon. That’s one of my favorite pizza toppings when I can find it.
Canadian bacon, pork sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and black olives on thin crispy crust.

Off topic but Ed loves talking about food! :D

I would never enjoy giving up our version of bacon, fried crispy! It’s almost a national food here, it’s so popular. Everything tastes better with bacon!

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

DA7R54.jpg
Ok. Similar to Canadian bacon. That’s one of my favorite pizza toppings when I can find it.
Canadian bacon, pork sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and black olives on thin crispy crust.

Off topic but Ed loves talking about food! :D

I would never enjoy giving up our version of bacon, fried crispy! It’s almost a national food here, it’s so popular. Everything tastes better with bacon!

Betty

I do like English bacon butty's. But mostly Im with you Betty. American bacon fried crisp and eaten as is or chopped up on everything from salads to baked potatoes with sour cream and chives, it's pretty hard to beat. Im not really a fan of Canadian bacon .

Edited by Shergar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything that can come under Liverpool is not off topic. And food? Food is never off topic.

 

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Anything that can come under Liverpool is not off topic. So off topic. And food? Food is never off topic.

 

 

We foodies...well....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Step by step, I'm settling in and trying to solve the various problems on my own without going to the rental agent first. 

 

I've discovered Poundland and Best Bargains and a fabulous M&S Foodhall, all just minutes from me. On Sunday morning, I'll be meeting with my new friend here to have breakfast and explore Lark Lane. She knows all the charity shops where they do furniture. 
 
Remember the things I was looking for in a destination? They were/are:
 
Climate, Costs, Culture, Cuisine, Walkability, Healthcare, Resident Visa, Stock Subjects. All these things require some flexibility on my part of course. I'm not looking for perfection. 
 
CLIMATE:  The weather sucks, of course. When Shakespeare said "the winter of our discontent" he must have been talking about Liverpool. But I've been here since July and it was never hot. For me, that's good. 
 
Edwardo of Liverpool
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Step by step, I'm settling in and trying to solve the various problems on my own without going to the rental agent first. 

 

I've discovered Poundland and Best Bargains and a fabulous M&S Foodhall, all just minutes from me. On Sunday morning, I'll be meeting with my new friend here to have breakfast and explore Lark Lane. She knows all the charity shops where they do furniture. 
 
Remember the things I was looking for in a destination? They were/are:
 
Climate, Costs, Culture, Cuisine, Walkability, Healthcare, Resident Visa, Stock Subjects. All these things require some flexibility on my part of course. I'm not looking for perfection. 
 
CLIMATE:  The weather sucks, of course. When Shakespeare said "the winter of our discontent" he must have been talking about Liverpool. But I've been here since July and it was never hot. For me, that's good. 
 
Edwardo of Liverpool

The weather is sucky here, too. Although we came off a days-long stretch of low 70s yesterday with the advent of a cold front and drizzle. That said, I like living in a place with 4 seasons. I’d hate living in Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:
 
CLIMATE:  The weather sucks, of course. When Shakespeare said "the winter of our discontent" he must have been talking about Liverpool. But I've been here since July and it was never hot. For me, that's good. 
 
Edwardo of Liverpool

 

You forgot this one, also reportedly penned by Will, probably during a trip to Liverpool:

 

"Dirty days hath September April June and November

From January up to May

The rain it raineth every day

All the rest have thirty-one

Without a blessed gleam of sun

And if any of them had two-and-thirty

They'd be just as wet and twice as dirty."

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John, was The Bard the original Beatles drummer before Ringo showed up? 

 

Betty, one of my biggest fears was to end up in Florida. At least DFW wasn't humid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Poundland and Best Bargains and a fabulous M&S Foodhall,

I see you're saving at the first two so you can afford M&S!

Seriously, Marks & Spencer are very good but with prices to match. They tend to have good dinner offers- 3 courses and a bottle of wine for £10- it's for two, but you seem to have that in hand!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Climate, Costs, Culture, Cuisine, Walkability, Healthcare, Resident Visa, Stock Subjects. All these things require some flexibility on my part of course. I'm not looking for perfection. 

 

Costs

 

Mark, M&S prepared foods (not frozen) are the best. And compared to NYC, not expensive. At Poundland today, I paid 1£ for a pair of reading glasses. Yikes!  When checking out there, I often think they've made a mistake. "Here, let me give you some more money."

 

Eating out in Liverpool costs more than I was counting on. Beer and wine were so much cheaper in Spain. Wine by the bottle is a lot less than in NYC. Of course I save by not eating dinner, by fasting. 

 

Rent is the biggie. Several people were trying to get me to look for a place outside the centre. That wouldn't work for me for several reasons. My stock production would disappear. And they don't have furnished studio in the bedroom communities. Like the nice woman in Galway told me, "Liverpool will work for you." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Step by step, I'm settling in and trying to solve the various problems on my own without going to the rental agent first. 

 

I've discovered Poundland and Best Bargains and a fabulous M&S Foodhall, all just minutes from me. On Sunday morning, I'll be meeting with my new friend here to have breakfast and explore Lark Lane. She knows all the charity shops where they do furniture. 
 
Remember the things I was looking for in a destination? They were/are:
 
Climate, Costs, Culture, Cuisine, Walkability, Healthcare, Resident Visa, Stock Subjects. All these things require some flexibility on my part of course. I'm not looking for perfection. 
 
CLIMATE:  The weather sucks, of course. When Shakespeare said "the winter of our discontent" he must have been talking about Liverpool. But I've been here since July and it was never hot. For me, that's good. 
 
Edwardo of Liverpool

Hi Ed

I presume you are somewhere in the tone centre and close to St Johns Market, seeing as you have discovered M&S, inside St Johns you also have Home Bargains (Scousers call it Home & Bargain by the way) for general cheap homeware stuff & Aldi is also in there for cheap food, TK MAXX on Church Street has almost everything for the home at reasonable prices, along with clothes and many other  itiems

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Chris, you local person you. 

 

Those tips are helpful. Have not passed TK MXX yet. I've been looking for some cheap side tables. The charity shops that do used furniture seem to be out of the centre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you encountered Lidl? Similar to Aldi for price but often with an in store bakery. They do canny croissants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Have you encountered Lidl? Similar to Aldi for price but often with an in store bakery. They do canny croissants.

 

Canned croissants! Quelle horreuer! 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lidl is the German supermarket chain where I sometimes shopped in Seville, right? They have them here but I've not seen one yet. I don't buy pastry to/ have at home. I do enjoy an almond croissant at Pret a Manger. They are actually horns, not crescent shaped, but they're good. Butter is the key.

 

I need side tables!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

 

I need side tables!

 

Ed, have you come across the website   nextdoor.co.uk? You can sign up to your local one and there will be a ‘for sale or free’ section. It’s also useful as you can ask for local recommendations.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't recall if this has been mentioned  before, but you may be eligible for a bus pass,  extends your shooting range and provides great opportunities for local travel. I use mine several times a week. 

 

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-elderly-person-bus-pass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use our bus passes a lot!

Going to friends for lunch today about 8 miles from home so will go by bus - taxis would be about £30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Chris, you local person you. 

 

Those tips are helpful. Have not passed TK MXX yet. I've been looking for some cheap side tables. The charity shops that do used furniture seem to be out of the centre. 

No problem, The Furniture Resource Centre is based near Brunswick Dock, so you should take a walk there, 15-20 minutes from the centre of town I'd guess, they are a social enterprise, they used to be brilliant, but I'm not sure now, website is here https://www.furnitureresourcecentre.co.uk but you have to go and look, but obviously you can call them for advice

By the way Aldi & Lidl are very similar sorry TK Maxx

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChrisC said:

No problem, The Furniture Resource Centre is based near Brunswick Dock, so you should take a walk there, 15-20 minutes from the centre of town I'd guess, they are a social enterprise, they used to be brilliant, but I'm not sure now, website is here https://www.furnitureresourcecentre.co.uk but you have to go and look, but obviously you can call them for advice

By the way Aldi & Lidl are very similar sorry TK Maxx

Chris

I think they might be a bit more corporate now, looking at the website, but they started off recycling furniture and helping people, but give them a call and if they don't do furniture etc for sale, just ask do they know any other charities or places that help with furnishings

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Canned croissants! Quelle horreuer! 😞

 

Canny Not canned. Canny is a north eastern expression in the UK used to describe an item that is good, nice, tasty, etc.

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edo have you tried your local food bank. Free food.😀

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Lidl is the German supermarket chain

Both Aldi & Lidl have branches out towards Lime Street station, they sell good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Edo have you tried your local food bank. Free food.😀

 

Allan

 


Do they have a gourmet section? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.