Liverpool ....... ...if you haven't already, have a look at the Stanley Dock Tobacco warehouse in the old docks area. Said to be the world's largest brick built warehouse.

Derelict when I last saw it. Don't know what's happening to it now.

Across the Mersey lies Birkenhead. A once prosperous area, now savaged by de-industrialisation and lack of investment, a shadow of its former self.

Worth a wander around the docks area and the old terrace housing estates, then take a trip up to New Brighton for an ice cream by the sea.

• Love 1

Mark, I love hearing opinions on everything. I just wanted to make it clear what I was saying. Remember when Prince Charles spoke out about not changing the look of London? 

Thanks for the pat on the back, James. I wish I was as good at renting a flat as I am spotting pics.

Can I ask you native British people: has anyone ever froze to death in Liverpool in August? The fish chowder saved me again today. (Or was it that hit of schnapps?) 

Here's one of the many fab museums in this Merseyside city:

W6E06A.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

What do you guys think about the Transportation Hub in Lower Manhattan? 

Unusual is the word that comes to mind. It looks like it either just crash-landed or is about to take off. The interior seems a bit cold. Think I'd have to see the whole thing "in the flesh" before passing judgement.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

We've been lucky in Vancouver. Quite a number of old schools have sadly been torn down, but they've been replaced by some very nice, bright and airy modern ones, not the awful, boxy jobs that were being built a few decades ago. Parts of the handsome, old facades have been left intact and incorporated into some of the new buildings as well, which helps matters. Seismic upgrading is the main culprit here. Sometimes it's more efficient to start from scratch than make aging structures earthquake-proof, or at least so they claim.

Edited by John Mitchell

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Here's one of the many fab museums in this Merseyside city:....

It was very nearly this (2nd photo).....

https://medium.com/@maybe_daisy/buildings-planned-but-never-built-393c43bf8799

Weather - it usually improves as soon as the school holidays are over....😎

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Riverside elementary school, built in the Collegiate Gothic style in 1931. 815 E. Highland Avenue, Ponca City, Oklahoma, Stock Photo

Sorry I don’t know how to post a picture on my iPad. But follow this link and you’ll see beautiful architecture on an elementary school in Ponca City, Oklahoma, where I used to live. All three of my children attended this school, a block and a half from our then house.

God knows when this will be razed and an ugly generic one story cement and glass block will be erected in its place. This is happening everywhere.

Betty

I'm with you but often it's cheaper to replace than refurbish. Or some politician gets a bee in their bonnet about old-fashioned dilapidated schools and wham, they've gone.

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I'm with you but often it's cheaper to replace than refurbish. Or some politician gets a bee in their bonnet about old-fashioned dilapidated schools and wham, they've gone.

Thank you for posting the image. Nice! I wonder if there are any people who can build these old ornate buildings? They probably have all died off. 

Yes, it all comes down to cost. A hamburger with meat and mustard for $1.50, or one with meat, mustard, tomato, onion and pickles for $3.

Betty

23 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

What do you guys think about the Transportation Hub in Lower Manhattan? 

I found this article and photos, which I thought was good. I didn't realize that the hub is located at Ground Zero. That puts the "bird taking flight" symbolism into perspective. It certainly was an ambitious project. If I ever get back to NYC (it has been a long time), I'll make sure to visit.

P.S.  Hmm...  I just noticed that the article is illustrated with microstock images. Bummer.

Edited by John Mitchell

That area is worth several visits for those going to NYC, John. I have over 200 images of this and what is down there from the East River to the Hudson River. 

H98CN4.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

All one needs for a British or Irish summer is a good warm winter coat and a large umbrella. ☹️

😁 I’m basking in mid 90s F degree weather.  I’d go for some British weather about now.

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

😁 I’m basking in mid 90s F degree weather.  I’d go for some British weather about now.

We had that a couple of weeks ago, but I don't think Ed did. It was pretty warm in the North-East last week, but I think the Pennines got in the way.

On 16/08/2019 at 19:52, AlbertSnapper said:

Liverpool ....... ...if you haven't already, have a look at the Stanley Dock Tobacco warehouse in the old docks area. Said to be the world's largest brick built warehouse.

Derelict when I last saw it. Don't know what's happening to it now.

Across the Mersey lies Birkenhead. A once prosperous area, now savaged by de-industrialisation and lack of investment, a shadow of its former self.

Worth a wander around the docks area and the old terrace housing estates, then take a trip up to New Brighton for an ice cream by the sea.

One half of the Tobacco warehouse on one side of the dock is now a hotel. The other is still derelict. I’ve photographed a couple of corporate events at the hotel. The transformation is amazing.

Chris, I set out for the old tobacco warehouse and Titanic Hotel yesterday after lunch. There was a strong wind down by the river that almost blew me over. The only path I could take was the highway . . . and then the clouds arrived. I gave up. Perhaps another time.  ☹️

Betty, I must confess that understanding the Liverpool dialect is beyond me. I say 'excuse me' a lot. It's called Scouse . . . and there's a stew by the same name. 

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Chris, I set out for the old tobacco warehouse and Titanic Hotel yesterday after lunch. There was a strong wind down by the river that almost blew me over. The only path I could take was the highway . . . and then the clouds arrived. I gave up. Perhaps another time.  ☹️

Betty, I must confess that understanding the Liverpool dialect is beyond me. I say 'excuse me' a lot. It's called Scouse . . . and there's a stew by the same name. 

Yikes. At least when you do banking or other official business, you understand them, hopefully. Unlike Spain, where you were the fish flopping around on the bank.

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

My fake Oxbridge accent is a thing of beauty. But I only tried it on at the Open Market in Oxford when ordering a pound of tomatoes. 😉

Tomaytoes or tomartoes...?

On 20/08/2019 at 09:48, Ed Rooney said:

Edo I think you have picked the wrong side of the country. All the British weather generally comes in from the cold wet Atlantic and of course the west side of the country takes the worst of any storms. YEH! I know the from the east was a bummer for us on the east side but that don't happen so often.

Anyway head eastwards over the hills and start basking in the warm and generally drier weather.

I was once told that if I was considering the west side to live that I should ask where the obligatory damp patch/s were in any property I was considering purchasing.

Now I am going to be in the doghouse from those that live in the west.😉

Allan