I hope this is the last stop on my seemingly endless journey. 

This is a much larger city than Galway with a lot more going on. Some rough looking boyos on the street and a lot of good and bad things visible. Like New York. 

Betty, the only accent I cannot understand at all is the one in Glasgow . . . and I think that is mostly because the ones using it that I've heard speak too softly. 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

and I think that is mostly because the ones using it that I've heard speak too softly. 

That is to make you stand closer so they can give you a Glasgow kiss.😧

Allan

• Love 1

Shame there's no rooms at the Days Inn.  It does get packed if there's an event on as it's near the Arena and conference centres.  I always stay there but book in advance.

There's a Travelodge just round the corner in The Strand - also perfectly placed for everything Liverpool.  I'm sure it will have Wi-Fi.

John

Liverpool is a super place to be a photographer, so much to see and masses of varied architecture, from the 18th century especially to the regeneration of the late 20th century and up to the present day. I've recently uploaded some of the fruits of my last day trip there, and I barely scratched the surface of the waterfront area, let alone the rest of the city.  It's no more and no less safe than any other large UK city in my experience, especially in the daytime and in the main shopping and tourist areas. Hundreds of people with cameras so you are unlikely to look out of place.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I hope this is the last stop on my seemingly endless journey. 

This is a much larger city that Galway with a lot more going on. Some rough looking boyos on the street and a lot of good and bad things visible. Like New York. 

Betty, the only accent I cannot understand at all is the one in Glasgow . . . and I think that is mostly because the ones using it that I've heard speak too softly. 

Edo

That’s great that you have a good ear, Edo. I’m afraid that if I met any of these British friends on the forum face to face, I’d need a translator. I can’t understand why I’m so lacking with understanding accents. All I know is that we had a few Brits come through for an eye exam when I worked for an ophthalmologist. They seemed to speak proper upper class English. All I could say is, “huh? Come again, please repeat that, I’m sorry, I’m not good with accents.”

Since it was my job to sit them in an exam room and take their medical history, I had a problem!

I usually slunk red-faced out of the room.

But then...they might not have understood my Okie accent, either! 😂 When my husband was with me, he was my translator, lol.

I’m excited for your photo opportunities.

Betty

I can do most accents, even the proper (disappearing?) Oxbridge. Nowadays, even most of the British TV reporters don't have "proper" accents. But, Betty, I lived in Europe for almost 18 years including this last one.  

I was in a Travelodge my first week in Galway but at a bad location. The hotel I'm at is ancient with lots of problems. I had to change rooms early this morning. Queen Victoria may have stayed here. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s great that you have a good ear, Edo. I’m afraid that if I met any of these British friends on the forum face to face, I’d need a translator. I can’t understand why I’m so lacking with understanding accents. All I know is that we had a few Brits come through for an eye exam when I worked for an ophthalmologist. They seemed to speak proper upper class English. All I could say is, “huh? Come again, please repeat that, I’m sorry, I’m not good with accents.”

Since it was my job to sit them in an exam room and take their medical history, I had a problem!

I usually slunk red-faced out of the room.

But then...they might not have understood my Okie accent, either! 😂 When my husband was with me, he was my translator, lol.

I’m excited for your photo opportunities.

Betty

"Two nations separated by a common language" Betty.

OK, I booked into the nearby Travelodge Strand for a week when I leave this place on the 9th. I hope I get a flat before having to leave there.

I thought the couple sitting next to me in the lobby were speaking English with an absolutely incomprehensible accent. But when I turned to look at them I realized they were Indians speaking Hindi.

Betty, I can say 'thank you' in 44 languages.  Why? Ahh, I don't know. Overly Internationally polite, I guess.  

• Love 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

That is to make you stand closer so they can give you a Glasgow kiss.😧

Allan

My neck of the woods - it's called a scouse kiss up there....

Take care Ed, not something you'd welcome.

Edited by TeeCee
  • Love 1

If Ed settles in Liverpool he will only be a short train or bus ride away from North Wales which might be good for his stock photography but not good for understanding accents. Not so much the north east but once you get over to the north west..... People from s.Wales have a job with the n.Wales accent even speaking English and of course the lWelsh language is slightly different south to north. I have a foot in both camps having homes in both Welsh speaking mid west wales and Snowdonia. I can negotiate the accents ok but some folks have problems. 

https://www.pete-davis-photography.com

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com

https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto

Dyn, I lived above Fishguard in Wales for 3 months back in the '80s. I liked it, but Welsh is a dyslexic nightmare -- fewer letters, please! And, folks -- I'll not be taking any side trips until I find a place to live.

I don't think of myself as an architectural photog. I shoot landmark buildings as part of my overall stock coverage but it's never been my # 1 subject. Here in Liverpool, I think I'll be doing a lot more on buildings. And the caps and tags will need serious research. Mostly, I don't worry about perspective control. People are used to seeing distortion. I used to own a PC lens for my Nikons. And I had an app that allowed more PC than what I normally use in LR CC Classic. That app was on my old iMac and I've forgotten the name. Do any of you know a free app for better PC? 

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Dyn, I lived above Fishguard in Wales for 3 months back in the '80s. I liked it, but Welsh is a dyslexic nightmare -- fewer letters, please! And, folks -- I'll not be taking any side trips until I find a place to live.

I don't think of myself as an architectural photog. I shoot landmark buildings as part of my overall stock coverage but it's never been my # 1 subject. Here in Liverpool, I think I'll be doing a lot more on buildings. And the caps and tags will need serious research. Mostly, I don't worry about perspective control. People are used to seeing distortion. I used to own a PC lens for my Nikons. And I had an app that allowed more PC than what I normally use in LR CC Classic. That app was on my old iMac and I've forgotten the name. Do any of you know a free app for better PC? 

Welsh is actually almost purely phonetic which eliminates most of the problems. Once you know how to pronounce the letters, they don't change. With just one very minor exception. (Learning the correct pronunciation of some of them  another thing!) Most English folks think Welsh has no vowels whereas we have, as Ed has noted, both more letters in the alphabet overall and an extra vowel. 

Pete Davis 

https://www.pete-davis-photography.com

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com

https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto

Welcome to Liverpool, Ed! Liverpool is where I’m based.

If you’re going to be here a while then feel free to shoot me a private message, maybe we could meet up for a few hours for a mini tour of the city. Otherwise, we’ll probably bump into each other at some point. Hope you’re enjoying the city so far.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Joken, arnt ya?

Sadly, regional accents are disappearing in the US and Canada. Britain does an amazing job of keeping her dialects alive, perhaps because there are so many of them. In a couple of generations, everyone over here will be probably be speaking homogenized CNN English.

Edited by John Mitchell

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've been using PTlens for years. It's not free, though ($25).

I use ViewPoint from DXO, but also it's not free, but was on sale when I bought it, now $79 US.  It does a good job on distortions, especially people's heads, at the sides of ultrawide shots.  I've also found that Lightroom's distortion control was pretty good, too.

"It does a good job on distortions, especially people's heads" 

I assume that's the shape of the head.

I'll stick with LR for now.

I usually don't dis hotels . . . but the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool is one of the three worst hotels I've ever stayed at. I've spent a good part of every day going up and down to deal with one problem after another. It's not the staff; they have been very patient. This place should be torn down. 

Edo

51 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I usually don't dis hotels . . . but the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool is one of the three worst hotels I've ever stayed at. I've spent a good part of every day going up and down to deal with one problem after another. It's not the staff; they have been very patient. This place should be torn down. 

Edo

No surprise there - it's owned by the Brittania group which, for the past six years in a row, has been voted the worst hotel chain in the UK....

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-11-03/britannia-named-worst-uk-hotel-chain-for-sixth-consecutive-year/

Edited by Vincent Lowe

41 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

No surprise there - it's owned by the Brittania group which, for the past six years in a row, has been voted the worst hotel chain in the UK....

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-11-03/britannia-named-worst-uk-hotel-chain-for-sixth-consecutive-year/

Sixty one hotels in the chain that I can find. All noted to avoid.

Allan