2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have no car and no license to drive anymore, Bryan. I really enjoyed having a car in Village England (Oxfordshire) in the '80s. And I don't like tunnels.

Ciao, Riccardo. I have a nose for good restaurants. It probably comes from the time I lived in Bella Roma. 😉

Betty . . . I confess to having some trouble with Liverpool talk. When I sit next to a table with locals, I can't follow their rapid-fire conversations. So far, everyone seems to understand me. 

It must be an age thing (74 in August) as I find younger people seem to talk too fast for me to understand them. Maybe they are trying to squeeze too much into their lives.

Wish everyone would just slooooww doooowwnn a bit.😖

Allan

I confess to having some trouble with Liverpool talk. When I sit next to a table with locals, I can't follow their rapid-fire conversations. So far, everyone seems to understand me. 

1 hour ago, Dyn Llun said:

I think a lot of us have Liverpool stories. I met my wife in 1970 when she was a teacher in Liverpool. 

My wife comes from the Wirral but that is close enough for me to say she is from Liverpool and she can do excellent scouse. She translates Jamie Carragher for me.

Liverpool was the first place I ever stood on foreign ground on holidays in July 1966 when England hosted the World Cup. A standout memory is of seeing loads of really colourful Brazillians in Lime Street Station, as Brazil were playing in Liverpool. Coming from monocultural (at the time) Dublin, I had never seen anything like it. This was the Brazil of Pele, then 2 times world champions and favourites to win it again but they crashed out in the qualifying round. 

The other standout memory was the seemingly infinite rows of tiny terrace houses all with TV aerials seen from the train.

Edited by MDM

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

It must be an age thing (74 in August) as I find younger people seem to talk too fast for me to understand them. Maybe they are trying to squeeze too much into their lives.

Allan

I have always talked fast irrespective of my age 😃. So much to do, so little time. I will try to remember your request next time we meet.

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have no car and no license to drive anymore, Bryan. I really enjoyed having a car in Village England (Oxfordshire) in the '80s. And I don't like tunnels.

Ciao, Riccardo. I have a nose for good restaurants. It probably comes from the time I lived in Bella Roma. 😉

Betty . . . I confess to having some trouble with Liverpool talk. When I sit next to a table with locals, I can't follow their rapid-fire conversations. So far, everyone seems to understand me. 

Your ear may get tuned in to the speech with some time, but maybe not. My inability to understand accents is etched in stone. But then, those times when I’m exposed are few and far between. Your experience will be daily, so you eventually may have a breakthrough. Hopefully. 

People watching and eavesdropping is kinda fun. That’s how you soak in the culture.

Betty

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I have always talked fast irrespective of my age 😃. So much to do, so little time. I will try to remember your request next time we meet.

That's quite  alright Mick I can understand you - sometimes.🤔

Allan

I went across to the Liverpool Museum to the Yoko-John exhibit this morning. Absolutely fantastic. And unexpectedly emotional for me. 

I knew them slightly in New York in the late ‘70s. I lived on West 79th then and they were at the Dakota on 72nd. We went to the same simple coffee bar occasionally and one morning when we were at side by side tables we started talking about the Vietnam War. I don't remember if I was in NYC or Dallas when John was killed in 1980. 
  • Love 2

56 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:
I went across to the Liverpool Museum to the Yoko-John exhibit this morning. Absolutely fantastic. And unexpectedly emotional for me. 

I knew them slightly in New York in the late ‘70s. I lived on West 79th then and they were at the Dakota on 72nd. We went to the same simple coffee bar occasionally and one morning when we were at side by side tables we started talking about the Vietnam War. I don't remember if I was in NYC or Dallas when John was killed in 1980. 

Strangely I was in New York city just on my way back to Ireland the day John Lennon was shot. It is the only time I have ever been to New York (Nov-Dec 1980). I was a massive fan of the Beatles, mainly John's stuff. It was a totally surreal experience arriving back in Ireland to hear he had been killed. Completely senseless.

I was living in Cairo and I either didn't have a TV or I didn't watch it and I couldn't have been listening to the radio either as the first I heard of it was a day later when the papers arrived from the UK. What a different world it is now.

13 minutes ago, Shergar said:

I was living in Cairo and I either didn't have a TV or I didn't watch it and I couldn't have been listening to the radio either as the first I heard of it was a day later when the papers arrived from the UK. What a different world it is now.

And your namesake was alive and kicking. 

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was a student at McGill when John and Yoko staged their 1969 Montreal bed-in at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. I remember it well, which is surprising since it was the psychedelic 60's.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I'm only 70, and I can no longer understand what anyone under 30 is saying. 🤩

Yoko was supposed to be in Manchester last week for the opening event of the Manchester International Festival.  She was unable to travel but appeared by video link....

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/video/2019/jul/04/yoko-ono-gets-thousands-ringing-bells-for-peace-in-manchester-video-report

Incidentally Ed, once you've got less pressing things to do, I can recommend the Manchester Ship Canal cruise.....

https://www.merseyferries.co.uk/cruises/Manchester-Ship-Canal-Cruises/Pages/default.aspx

On 06/07/2019 at 18:52, Ed Rooney said:

Something I noticed here with the voice recording in the elevators. Liverpool folks drop the G at the end of words like 'closing.' It's kind of like listening to a Texas cowboy song. The elevator doors are closin'. 

I might be inclined to join you guys in your nostalgia if it were not for all the trouble this hotel is causing me every day. 

Unfortunately Ed, the Adelphi is easily the worst hotel in Liverpool, so sorry to hear this is where you stayed, it is handy for the City centre, but not to be recommended, as a local, obviously I don't stay in one, but that is one to avoid, so Im glad you escaped.

It was a Grand Hotel back in the day, but as others have said the chain is dreadful and it doesn't ever have any improvements, if it isn't knocked down sooner or later, it may well end up looking like the Overlook Hotel in The Shining!

If you watch DA Pennebaker's Don't Look Back the story of Bob Dylan on tour in the UK in the 60's he stayed at The Adelphi, and there is a shot of him on a balcony taking to fans below, I seem to remember, most big acts stayed there, that was probably it's dying breath, unfortunately once the 70's came and shipping declined, and the UK went into recession, Liverpool suffered as a result, it's taken a long time for its to improve and started to move forward as a City once the 80's had finished.

RE Homeless on the streets, this is now the state of the UK and is a country wide thing, the fact is mental illness isn't being addressed and the economy and jobs market is rubbish. I was in Harrogate a few weeks ago and even in a nice Northern English town with money, the city centre has homeless people living in the city centre, which is hard to believe, as especially in 1980's, even in Liverpool at it's worst economic decline, you never saw things like that, you would see the occasional, what we would call in those days "a tramp", but not young men or women that you see now. it is truly shocking.

But her is a couple of things to say when out shopping:-

It is THE Asda, NOT ASDA ie "I'm just going The ASDA" and complete the sentence with "to get me messages" (buy some food, groceries etc)

Home AND  Bargain, not Home Bargains 

Also throw the word "Like" in at the end or middle of sentences, ie "I like The Beatles, like and Dylan like", but no Pink Floyd for me, like mate!'" 

The you should be ok

Chris

11 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Unfortunately Ed, the Adelphi is easily the worst hotel in Liverpool, so sorry to hear this is where you stayed, it is handy for the City centre, but not to be recommended, as a local, obviously I don't stay in one, but that is one to avoid, so Im glad you escaped.

It was a Grand Hotel back in the day, but as others have said the chain is dreadful and it doesn't ever have any improvements, if it isn't knocked down sooner or later, it may well end up looking like the Overlook Hotel in The Shining!

If you watch DA Pennebaker's Don't Look Back the story of Bob Dylan on tour in the UK in the 60's he stayed at The Adelphi, and there is a shot of him on a balcony taking to fans below, I seem to remember, most big acts stayed there, that was probably it's dying breath, unfortunately once the 70's came and shipping declined, and the UK went into recession, Liverpool suffered as a result, it's taken a long time for its to improve and started to move forward as a City once the 80's had finished.

RE Homeless on the streets, this is now the state of the UK and is a country wide thing, the fact is mental illness isn't being addressed and the economy and jobs market is rubbish. I was in Harrogate a few weeks ago and even in a nice Northern English town with money, the city centre has homeless people living in the city centre, which is hard to believe, as especially in 1980's, even in Liverpool at it's worst economic decline, you never saw things like that, you would see the occasional, what we would call in those days "a tramp", but not young men or women that you see now. it is truly shocking.

But her is a couple of things to say when out shopping:-

It is THE Asda, NOT ASDA ie "I'm just going The ASDA" and complete the sentence with "to get me messages" (buy some food, groceries etc)

Home AND  Bargain, not Home Bargains 

Also throw the word "Like" in at the end or middle of sentences, ie "I like The Beatles, like and Dylan like", but no Pink Floyd for me, like mate!'" 

The you should be ok like.

Chris

Sorry ChrisC I couldn't help adding the last like to your last sentence like.😄

Allan

• Like 1

Chris, almost everyone but me staying at The Adelphi were old folks in large groups on bus tours. Like Seville, that hotel was yesterday's problem. I have to deal with today and the immediate future.

That's a shame about the young homeless. There are homeless people in NYC and everywhere I've been, of course. And buskers (homeless people with guitars?). 

Thanks for the lesson in local phrases but I do not plan to go native. I'll be the guy from New York in the Yankee cap. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Chris, almost everyone but me staying at The Adelphi were old folks in large groups on bus tours. Like Seville, that hotel was yesterday's problem. I have to deal with today and the immediate future.

That's a shame about the young homeless. There are homeless people in NYC and everywhere I've been, of course. And buskers (homeless people with guitars?). 

Thanks for the lesson in local phrases but I do not plan to go native. I'll be the guy from New York in the Yankee cap. 

LOL! I was just being jovial, generally people will like you and seeing as you are a New Yorker, you'll understand and spot any issues, when we went to New York, we didn't have any problems a lot of people didn't get our accent, but I never felt in danger,. As usual and especially nowadays, the internet does make things seem worse, instead of going on positives and people do like to slag Liverpool off and blame the whole City if anything happens, but such is life.

I'll keep an eye out seeing that you have put a photo up. I haven't been on here for ages, but didn't you lose your home, so are you just touring the World and seeing where life takes you?

Chris

You're a trooper, Ed. I've always been a gypsy and don't expect to reach your age - but if I do, I'd like to think I could be as mobile and flexible and open to new things, as you are.

• Love 1

I started to say Ed has been forced to be mobile and flexible. But on second thought, bad luck or disasters can force you to be mobile, but one chooses how to handle it and where the mobility takes you.

Me...I’d find a situation as close to home as I could manage simply for the familiarity. At the least, I’d stay in my own country. Taking off to live forevermore on another continent would be something I couldn’t handle...I’d feel too bereft.

So yes, Ed has shown remarkable flexibility.  

What’s funny is that my sister’s roots are so deep that she thinks my moving to the next state, Kansas, from Oklahoma is like moving to another country. Geesh...I’m 60 miles from her.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
Typo
  • Love 1

Back in the day, if you were drafted into the US Army and assigned to a combat zone -- and if shots were fired -- you were entitled to a Combat Infantryman Badge. Maybe I would qualify for that (metaphorically) in my situation . . . for showing up.

But I don't qualify for any other medals. I planned none of this. I'm just trying to survive. The people in this forum and Alamy deserve medals for helping me out financially right after the fire. For the Brits, I tap the Queen's sword on your shoulder. When I drop a pound coin into a homeless person's hat, I do it for you guys. 

Edo, now the fifth wheel on the Beatles train. 

the-beatles-statues-near-albert-dock-in-

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

As you can see above, I've been snapping away at the Beatles statues. They're close to my hotel. A while ago some of us were having trouble with our captures of murals (street art). Do you think there will be a problem selling pics of these statues for editorial use? 

Edo

As you can see above, I've been snapping away at the Beatles statues. They're close to my hotel. A while ago some of us were having trouble with our captures of murals (street art). Do you think there will be a problem selling pics of these statues for editorial use? 

Edo

I wouldn't think so, as long as you include the name of the sculptor in the caption and check the "editorial use only" box. But please don't quote me.

BTW, I believe that you have "paul mccarthy" rather than "paul mccartney" in your keywords.

It looks as if you're finding plenty of inspiration in Liverpool. Hopefully a flat too.

Edo

Hi Edo

One of my Beatles Statue pics has been used as the front cover on the Liverpool University Brochure without problem.  Marked Editorial Only.  The statue is shown in context with the Liver Building towering above them. Good payout too 🙂

John