18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Back in the day, if you were drafted into the US Army and assigned to a combat zone -- and if shots were fired -- you were entitled to a Combat Infantryman Badge. Maybe I would qualify for that (metaphorically) in my situation . . . for showing up.

But I don't qualify for any other medals. I planned none of this. I'm just trying to survive. The people in this forum and Alamy deserve medals for helping me out financially right after the fire. For the Brits, I tap the Queen's sword on your shoulder. When I drop a pound coin into a homeless person's hat, I do it for you guys. 

Edo, now the fifth wheel on the Beatles train. 

the-beatles-statues-near-albert-dock-in-

Edo,

You seem to be well?  Nice image BTW.

Was not a Beatles fan until I passed 50....

Best,

Chuck

• Love 1

On 14/07/2019 at 20:28, Ed Rooney said:

As you can see above, I've been snapping away at the Beatles statues. They're close to my hotel. A while ago some of us were having trouble with our captures of murals (street art). Do you think there will be a problem selling pics of these statues for editorial use? 

Edo

There's a difference in copyright between 2D art such as murals and 3D art, at least in the UK.

Also note (UK):

"62 Representation of certain artistic works on public display.

(1)This section applies to—

(a)buildings, and

(b)sculptures, models for buildings and works of artistic craftsmanship, if permanently situated in a public place or in premises open to the public.

(2)The copyright in such a work is not infringed by—

(a)making a graphic work representing it,

(b)making a photograph or film of it, or

(c)[F1making a broadcast of] a visual image of it.

(3)Nor is the copyright infringed by the issue to the public of copies, or the [F2communication to the public], of anything whose making was, by virtue of this section, not an infringement of the copyright."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/62

• Thanks 1

I just checked into the Pullman Liverpool near the Ferris wheel and docks. It's outrageously expensive. I'm consoling myself with some of the free wine my fee encludes. This morning I booked a much less costly hotel for a week after I spend a week here. 

With my music background, I had hoped to have better timing . . . but I'm here looking for a flat at the worst possible time of the year. 

Do any of you know why landlords prefer renting to students than to seniors like myself? I see that that's the case but I'm not sure why. 

Edo, expecting A Hard Day's Night

(Chuck, my music involvement predates the Fab Four and rock.)

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I just checked into the Pullman Liverpool near the Ferris wheel and docks. It's outrageously expensive. I'm consoling myself with some of the free wine my fee encludes. This morning I booked a much less costly hotel for a week after I spend a week here. 

With my music background, I had hoped to have better timing . . . but I'm here looking for a flat at the worst possible time of the year. 

Do any of you know why landlords prefer renting to students than to seniors like myself? I see that that's the case but I'm not sure why. 

Edo, expecting A Hard Day's Night

(Chuck, my music involvement predates the Fab Four and rock.)

Viennese waltz?😁

Allan

Baltic Studios is a brand new 118 apartment development in Liverpool. Offering self-contained studio apartments in Liverpool city centre to both students & young working professionals.

Do you see? This is what I was asking about. 

I think in a market where landlords are able to charge more to a new tenant it becomes advisable to rent to people who won't stay long. A student is probably going to move on in a few years.

Paulette

Be glad you don't have a dog or cat. I'm fortunate enough to have been out of the rental market for a long time, which is a good thing since it's brutal in Vancouver. I had no idea that landlords don't like renting to seniors. You would think that older tenants would be preferable since they tend to be quieter and more responsible than students. I do know, however, that landlords in Vancouver now tend to prefer short-term tenants so they can put the rent up often (i.e. when they leave).

Try searching for retirement properties.  There are independent living apartments aimed at people over a certain age, usually 55 or 60, often in purpose built residential blocks.  I guess it depends if there are any suitable ones in the area of Liverpool you are looking at within your budget.  But at least you wouldn't be up against students/young professionals.

Sue

Unfortunately, as a landlord, your property insurance premium is linked to the credit rating and financial status of your prospective tenant. So, for example, if you take a person who is on state benefits of any kind, or who is not in full time work, the premium can go up substantially.  Not implying in any way that you fall into any of these categories Ed, but there are reasons why property owners are reluctant to let to certain sectors of the community.  Not sure how the credit check works for someone entering the country, but I can foresee possible difficulties with references etc.

Then we have irresponsible landlords who are above the law, don't use reputable letting agents,  and rent accommodation that is totally unsatisfactory - I know someone who  recently bought a house from such a person. It had been used as a house of multiple occupancy. Had a building inspector visited it would have been closed down immediately. There were electrical cables strung from room to room, sockets hanging off the walls, cockroaches, leaking toilets,  and numerous other horrors.  It's now largely restored to a decent state, but what a journey!

Edited by Bryan

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Baltic Studios is a brand new 118 apartment development in Liverpool. Offering self-contained studio apartments in Liverpool city centre to both students & young working professionals.

Do you see? This is what I was asking about. 

Although it says perfect for those categories, it doesn't preclude anyone. If it is within your price range, an enquiry would do no harm.

It's been almost 17 months now since I started reporting on the aftermath of the fire in my building on Mulberry Street in New York. After spending 2 months in a friend's loft in Brooklyn and 2 months in a rental flat in Mexico, waiting for my building to be reopened, it became clear that that was not going to happen. So in July 2018 I sold the lease of my rent-stabilized apartment and began looking for a new home. 

I had not expected that this situation would still be my reality a year later . . . with no solution in sight. I don't know what will happen next.

So . . . enough is enough. 

This will be my last post on the subject of my homelessness. 

Thank you all for your help and interest.

Edo

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's been almost 17 months now since I started reporting on the aftermath of the fire in my building on Mulberry Street in New York. After spending 2 months in a friend's loft in Brooklyn and 2 months in a rental flat in Mexico, waiting for my building to be reopened, it became clear that that was not going to happen. So in July 2018 I sold the lease of my rent-stabilized apartment and began looking for a new home. 

I had not expected that this situation would still be my reality a year later . . . with no solution in sight. I don't know what will happen next.

So . . . enough is enough. 

This will be my last post on the subject of my homelessness. 

Thank you all for your help and interest.

Edo

Please keep us informed of your positive progress. The majority of us are with you all the way and hope you get settled soon.

Allan

• Like 2

Oh Edo. You sound so discouraged. It took you a long time to find a place in Sevilla but you did find it and in a good neighborhood. Do keep letting us know. We care.

Paulette