27 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I stayed briefly at a hotel in Saigon where the VC bombed a bar next door, so I guess that was worst than this place. So far. 

The Adelphi is one of many hotels of its kind that sprang up when the railways in the UK were in their heyday. You will find very similar 'railway hotels' close to the main stations in most UK towns and cities. Once grand and imposing with superb service they are now, sadly, in decline being too big and now old-fashioned and difficult to maintain economically. It's actually very sad as many have imposing architecture and design interiors. Or at least they used to. Actually there might be a good photography project in documenting these before they disappear altogether. 

Grand and imposing? It would be a shame to tear it down. Although new would probably be less expensive than restoration would be.

I love the look of old buildings whose faces and interiors have character rather that the new glass and concrete monsters built today.

While growing up, our schools in my home town had this character. Then my elementary school was destroyed by a tornado. The same one that took our roof. Actually, two elementary schools were destroyed. The junior high eventually was torn down, rebuilt ugly and boxy and turned into the high school. The old high school, the only one left with beauty, is now middle school. (Used to be called junior high, grade 7, 8 and 9.)

All of the old elementary schools in my home town have been replaced with modern horrors. ☹️

Of course, when I have my nightmares of forgetting my locker combination, or not knowing where my next class is, or not having my books, paper and pencils, it’s always in the old buildings. So they live on! (I won’t mention nightmares of being in class without clothes or walking home from school chasing after blowing newspapers to cover myself)

Edo, I really hope the flat Gods will take pity on you and present you with the perfect one soon.

Betty

7 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Grand and imposing? It would be a shame to tear it down. Although new would probably be less expensive than restoration would be.

I love the look of old buildings whose faces and interiors have character rather that the new glass and concrete monsters built today.

While growing up, our schools in my home town had this character. Then my elementary school was destroyed by a tornado. The same one that took our roof. Actually, two elementary schools were destroyed. The junior high eventually was torn down, rebuilt ugly and boxy and turned into the high school. The old high school, the only one left with beauty, is now middle school. (Used to be called junior high, grade 7, 8 and 9.)

All of the old elementary schools in my home town have been replaced with modern horrors. ☹️

Of course, when I have my nightmares of forgetting my locker combination, or not knowing where my next class is, or not having my books, paper and pencils, it’s always in the old buildings. So they live on! (I won’t mention nightmares of being in class without clothes or walking home from school chasing after blowing newspapers to cover myself)

Edo, I really hope the flat Gods will take pity on you and present you with the perfect one soon.

Betty

I'm with you. Here in Vancouver, pleasing old buildings are being torn down left and right to make room for ugly, high-rise gerbil barns. Not even designated heritage buildings are safe from greedy real estate developers. Most of downtown is totally foreign to me now. While there is a lot of wonderful, innovative modern architecture, I think that that our age will go down as one of the most unaesthetic in human history. But then our species may not be around all that much longer. What, me pessimistic? 😛

Something I noticed here with the voice recording in the elevators. Liverpool folks drop the G at the end of words like 'closing.' It's kind of like listening to a Texas cowboy song. The elevator doors are closin'. 

I might be inclined to join you guys in your nostalgia if it were not for all the trouble this hotel is causing me every day. 

26 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Something I noticed here with the voice recording in the elevators. Liverpool folks drop the G at the end of words like 'closing.' It's kind of like listening to a Texas cowboy song. The elevator doors are closin'. 

I might be inclined to join you guys in your nostalgia if it were not for all the trouble this hotel is causing me every day. 

Even President Obama -- a skilled orator -- dropped the "g" when talkin' to the folks.

People in small-town BC tend to do the same: "I seen you walkin' down the street yesterday."

Edited by John Mitchell

Yes, everyone drops G from time to time in conversation. But this is a recording in an elevator — a recordin’

It looks as if I’ll be off line until Tuesday. The Adelphi’s WiFi is acting up again and after a long fix by Adobe LR won’t find my files again. I have no time for this. 

Off and on trouble today with the hotel WiFi. And trouble too with both Adobe LR Classic and PS CC. Now I'm having trouble uploading processed jpegs to Alamy. Lunch was okay. Smooth sailing there. 🙁

I haven't done a planned photoshoot since leaving Seville in early June. And in Seville, I only did two. Still, I've been continuing to upload 100 to 150 images a month to Alamy. What has made this possible is my little, pocketable Sony RX100-6. I've been able to get pictures on my way to do other things. 

Edo - maybe check out Travelodge of which there are several in Liverpool. They are budget hotels but clean, reliable (including the wifi) and good customer service. I've just had a look and prices in Liverpool are very reasonable at the moment. 

11 minutes ago, MDM said:

Edo - maybe check out Travelodge of which there are several in Liverpool. They are budget hotels but clean, reliable (including the wifi) and good customer service. I've just had a look and prices in Liverpool are very reasonable at the moment. 

Hi MDM

Edo is checking into one tomorrow I believe.  Good value.

John

9 minutes ago, John Walker said:

Hi MDM

Edo is checking into one tomorrow I believe.  Good value.

John

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm booked into the Travelodge Strand, Michael -- starting Tuesday.

Good stuff Edo. I have stayed in dozens of Travelodges over the years and have never had any problem worth mentioning. I always ask for a quiet room away from main roads as I am not good with traffic noise and they usually accommodate me. Coming from New York, external noise might not be a problem for you. Best of luck. 

• Love 1

Trump and May may not get along . . . but look at Murray and Williams.

I'm at the mod Travelodge now. They only have 30 mins of free WiFi a day. Damn! The one in Galway had free WiFi all day. 

I like Liverpool. It reminds me of NYC in the '50s and in the '70s before it became so gentrified and expensive. Lots of homeless people on the streets here. Far too many. And junkies nodding off. I've not been out late yet but I figure there is a great deal of heavy drinking too. The buskers are better in Galway.

W100B4.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Trump and May may not get along . . . but look at Murray and Williams.

I'm at the mod Travelodge now. They only have 30 mins of free WiFi a day. Damn! The one in Galway had free WiFi all day. 

Try a coffee shop, Starbucks say,  or my preference Caffé Nero - they have free wifi. I am sure if you want a beer with your wifi some pubs will be able to oblige. McDs have free wifi I believe as do many other bars, fast food places and even possibly museums and galleries.,

Here in Nottingham the centre has free wifi provided by the city, perhaps Liverpool has something similar.

Edited by Martin P Wilson

30 mins must be enough to google free wifi in Liverpool. 😁

Or even cheap hotel with free wifi in Liverpool. That'll teach them.

Is this a sign the hotel is still too expensive or is it the opposite?

My best bet: the city library. Sometimes even the coffee is free (not in the main library where they now have coffeeshops). Could be they prefer warm brown water aka tea in the UK.

wim

• Love 1

I regularly stay in Premier Inns. No idea if there's one in Liverpool but I'd be amazed if there wasn't. I've never noticed any wifi limit and I often spend quite a lot of time online.

Alan

9 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

I regularly stay in Premier Inns. No idea if there's one in Liverpool but I'd be amazed if there wasn't. I've never noticed any wifi limit and I often spend quite a lot of time online.

Alan

Premier Inns tend to be much more expensive than Travelodges. The £3 a day for wifi in the Travelodge would be much more economical.

It took two women at reception and a long phone conversation with a Virgin techie but I'm now online for the rest of my stay at this Travelodge. Hopefully. 

For much of what I have to do online, I need a lot of my other stuff that I can't carry around. Free WiFi at bars and bistros and such do not work. 

Edo

• Love 1

All this talk of Liverpool reminds me of my student days. I recall attending a concert given by the then young Kyung Wha Chung probably in the Philharmonic Hall, she was fabulous.  Across the road is a fine traditional pub.

Also have pleasant memories of jogging around Sefton Park every morning - had to do something to keep fit after my bikes were pinched!

I attended one football match (to see my local team play) and foolishly stood in the Kop. We scored first and I let out an involuntary whoop of joy. Fortunately we were well beaten by the end of the game and there were no reprisals.

Then there is the ferry across the Mersey - made a 300 mile pilgrimage to revisit some years ago only to find that the landing stage had sunk and the ferries temporarily cancelled.

Must mention the Mersey Tunnel, it seems all city centre roads head there, if you ever have to drive beware the lure of the tunnel, it's so easy to be drawn in and there is no escape......

My fav hotel in Liverpool has always been the Premier Inn at the Albert Dock. Strategic position, reasonably clean, wifi, and generous breakfast...
The only drawback is that most of the restaurants at the AD are very touristic and with a rather disappointing price/food quality ratio... Better to walk and find something better elsewhere.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Love 1

I have no car and no license to drive anymore, Bryan. I really enjoyed having a car in Village England (Oxfordshire) in the '80s. And I don't like tunnels.

Ciao, Riccardo. I have a nose for good restaurants. It probably comes from the time I lived in Bella Roma. 😉

Betty . . . I confess to having some trouble with Liverpool talk. When I sit next to a table with locals, I can't follow their rapid-fire conversations. So far, everyone seems to understand me. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

I think a lot of us have Liverpool stories. I met my wife in 1970 when she was a teacher in Liverpool. She taught in schools in West Derby and Speke. I used to fly up from Cardiff on a Friday with the old Cambrian Airways (Viscount turbo prop, £8 single, free drinks), to the then, Speke Airport and train back from Lime Street early Monday mornings. That was before we were married and she re-located and taught in Wales.