1 hour ago, Colin Woods said:

Or you can hitch the deeply rooted bush to the back of the car and pull.

uprooting-a-stubborn-bush-by-pulling-it-with-a-car-MRNR3R.jpg

If you use that method beware of the deeply rooted bush flying through the back window of the vehicle, as some funny youtube videos show.

Edo, please accept my deepest apologies for going off topic. My gardening woes are no excuse. It’s all my fault, because I found the gardening comments too interesting. That’s no excuse. 

I’m turning it back over to you. 

Boy, we do have a talent for going down rabbit holes here! Some threads take on a life of their own, don’t they?

Betty

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Edo, please accept my deepest apologies for going off topic. My gardening woes are no excuse. It’s all my fault, because I found the gardening comments too interesting. That’s no excuse. 

I’m turning it back over to you. 

Boy, we do have a talent for going down rabbit holes here! Some threads take on a life of their own, don’t they?

Betty

Now you mention it------Ah NO!

Back to you Edo.

Allan

I don't mind people going off-topic, Betty. Especially on a long, rambling post like this one. I think all our Brits will agree that no subject is ever far away from gardening.

Voles are the only ones who used to love my garden in Woodstock. 

Edo

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Whew, thank you! 

Now, about those hostas.....:D

My garden fork was delivered.  And that long shovel you all talked about, we call it a sharpshooter here.

That's the idea. BLAST them out.;)

Allan

Oh, Paulette, you are way too clever. 😊

Now that you mention it, the first time I held a gun, it was a 22 rifle my brother-in-law put in my hands, then instructed me how to fire it.  I shot a can off a fence post in the countryside at 40 yards.  First shot.

I was 9 years old. I could barely hold the rifle up long enough to aim it, with my skinny little girl arms.  I was simply lucky. And I don’t care for guns since I abhor shooting animals. Target shooting is fun, but most things are more fun.

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Oh, Paulette, you are way too clever. 😊

Now that you mention it, the first time I held a gun, it was a 22 rifle my brother-in-law put in my hands, then instructed me how to fire it.  I shot a can off a fence post in the countryside at 40 yards.  First shot.

I was 9 years old. I could barely hold the rifle up long enough to aim it, with my skinny little girl arms.  I was simply lucky. And I don’t care for guns since I abhor shooting animals. Target shooting is fun, but most things are more fun.

Gosh you have reminded me about my target shooting days when I was a lot younger. Mostly .22 rifles and pistols but I did do a bit of target shooting with a .303 SMLE. Now holding that level with one hand at arms length while shooting at the target was something else. All this was undertaken while a member of clubs which were strictly controlled of course.

I also had skinny arms and still have, that is my build.

Allan

Sorry to digress AGAIN Edo.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

10 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Gosh you have reminded me about my target shooting days when I was a lot younger. Mostly .22 rifles and pistols but I did do a bit of target shooting with a .303 SMLE. Now holding that level with one hand at arms length while shooting at the target was something else. All this was undertaken while a member of clubs which were strictly controlled of course.

I also had skinny arms and still have, that is my build.

Allan

Sorry to digress AGAIN Edo.

ITMA

I have to admit, the second and last time I shot I was perhaps 23. With a .22 pistol. I hit every can then, too. I was a bit closer, because a handgun isn’t accurate at long distance. I guess it is a natural talent. One of my daughters does the same. 

So don’t make me mad. 😉

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I used to have a target from the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen on my wall with 36 center bullseyes on it. I wonder if I could hit a vole? They move fast. Hmmm. And they're cute. 

..........and protected by law!!!

John.

I like the statue pictures Ed.   Fox Talbot said that "a statue may be placed in any position with regard to the Sun, causing an immense difference in effect".  I suspect he may have had the gardener move it for him though.

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, Stokie said:

..........and protected by law!!!

John.

Not surprising. Everything in the UK is protected by law . . . except me. 🙁

Statues are not only sitting targets but they sell. I've had statues of people I've snapped but never heard of sell. In Liverpool, every corner has a statue or two. 

• Love 1

Voles are cute, as I said. They don't have those mouse tails. I had a charming hedgehog family in my garden too. And I saw a young fox sunbathing after a shower from the second-floor window. They are beautiful animals. 

One night walking home from the Black Prince, a large badger with four cubs crossed the road in front of me. The mother turned and gave me a warning snarl. It confirmed my belief that dachshunds and Jack Russells, who might go down a hole after a badger, are totally insane. 

Edo

• Love 2

The garden fork is working to dig up hostas.  Even so, it requires hard work. I may get it done in a month since I can only last for a short session.

And Edo, I agree with you about dogs going after badgers.

I see skunks and raccoons traipsing through my yard after dark. I opened the garage side door one night and a skunk and I had a stare-off before I gently backed up and eased the door shut. Then shuddered.  I was in the mist of a skunk’s spray when I was 8 years old. It was attacking baby kittens in a locked shed with a small cutout square in the side (probably for chickens) and I was yelling and beating on the wooden walls trying to scare it away from the screaming kittens. I scared it, alright. But I didn’t save the kittens or me. I think the smell wore off in 2 weeks. Meanwhile, everything I ate or drank tasted and smelled like skunk juice, because my sinuses were embedded.

Before we bought this house, my neighbor said there was a very noisy fox den under my sunroom...now the bird room.  I love wildlife, but I do have a few exceptions. In Oklahoma City a raccoon tore the heck out of my bird feeders. Demolished them completely. At least $150 down the drain.

You Brits don’t have skunks, do you? Or raccoons? If not, count that as a blessing. And do you only have one kind of snake?

Betty

We don't have skunks or racoons, Betty. We have 3 snake species in the UK. Adders are the only venomous ones, and they are not at all aggressive. There are also grass snakes and the much rarer smooth snake, which is just in a few areas in the south.

Gillian is correct; just the one shy venomous snake in the UK. In Australia, they have 100 species of venomous snakes including the world's most venomous, a Taipan. The black mamba, the fer-de-lance, and other aggressive snakes are the ones to avoid. Thousands of people are bitten and killed by snakes in Asia every year. Only a handful of Australians are. They've learned to be careful. 

Currently, I'm more afraid of rental agents than snakes. 

Edited by Ed Rooney