On 07/11/2019 at 12:45, spacecadet said:

As an Irish citizen, you're eligible to vote, Ed.

https://www.gov.uk/elections-in-the-uk

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

I don't know if I am required to vote but it seems that I am required to register to vote with the Liverpool City Counsel. Hmmm. This is getting interesting. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't know if I am required to vote

Voting is voluntary in UK (despite our recent - and ongoing - problems, we're still not quite at the point where the 'dear leader' gets 99.95% of the votes cast!)...

Edited by John Morrison
  • Love 1

Ed… at the risk of telling you what you already know, Liverpool are playing Manchester City today (at Anfield, 4.30pm). The pundits reckon it’s the biggest game of the season so far, and there will be plenty of fans, in their ‘colours’, milling around in the city centre. Plenty of photo opportunities.

On second thoughts you may not want to get involved with crowds of tribal football fans, singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’. And remember: don’t ever call it soccer!…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I don't know if I am required to vote but it seems that I am required to register to vote with the Liverpool City Counsel. Hmmm. This is getting interesting. 

Yes, registration is in theory compulsory in that if you get a form from the council you're required to fill it in in respect of everyone who lives at that address. The electoral registration officer is required by law to maintain the register of voters. But as John said voting is up to you.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/341/regulation/23/made

It's very simple online- you have the link in my post. You then confirm it every year or so if you get a letter from the council.

Edited by spacecadet

Yeah, I got the form, Mark. A good system. I'll get it done tomorrow (tomorrow, tomorrow, and tomorrow). Many adjustments to make. 

I bought a 13.5 tog winter duvet and the heating in the flat works fine. So, unless I venture out, I won't freeze. 😎

I'm finding it impossible to upload to Alamy today. I hope it's a weekend Alamy glitch and not the WiFi in this building. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

As an Irish citizen Ed you have the right to vote in UK election (General, EU (for the moment) and Local). There is a requirement for compulsory registration (but in reality it is never enforced) but thre is no requirement to vote.

However you might find it useful to register as the credit reference agencies, energy suppliers and many others use the register to check that you are who you say you are, and live at your given address.

Thanks, Betty. It was taken by a nice Texas woman in San Miguel, a new friend. 

I'm starting to settle in at my city centre rental studio. Got most of the basics working . . . except for the lighting in the bathroom. I have WiFi but no TV. I tried to get BBC News on my MacBook, but they want me to get a TV license to do that. That costs almost $200US! I listen to the BBC World Service via US NPR. I'll have to figure out how I can watch an occasional film. Poco a poco. 

By the way, I speak and understand more Spanish than Merseyside English, called Scouse. 😧

8 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I wouldn't bank on it- the maximum fine is £1000

Yes it is, but having worked in the past trying to persuade people to complete the form, and listening to the same repetitive arguments why they're not going to, I can tell you - the penalty is never enforced.

Completing the electoral form enables you to vote in local as well as national elections and is useful for things like jury service call-ups except you are past the age  so this wont apply. You do have the option to opt out of the open register which means the police and credit checkers can see you but the public who might buy a copy of the list can't access your details so you might not appear on quite so many mailing lists

Until this year, you were eligible to a free TV license because you are over 75, but that seems about to change, so watch this space seems best advice. It doesn't seem to figure in the current election proposals but we haven't had the whole of the manifests yet. Personally, I don't think I should get a free ride, Jane is somewhat hooked on Scandi Dramas and we do natural history and stuff like Have I Got News For You and Would I Lie To You in the evenings as well as the News. We're in a position to pay so we should.

Edited by Robert M Estall

3 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Until this year, you were eligible to a free TV license because you are over 75, but that seems about to change, so watch this space seems best advice. It doesn't seem to figure in the current election proposals but we haven't had the whole schedule yet

Has it not changed yet? If not, then couldn’t Ed press the age card and get it, at least until it changes? Is this fee to be paid every year or is it an one-off?

Edited by Betty LaRue

Its an annual fee, but you get a lot for it. News, long sports events, some drama series' documentaries & more with no advertising breaks. on BBC channels It's a whole different viewing experience!. The current scheme runs out 1st June 2020 so, yes, Ed could apply and have a free license 'til then.  He would have to apply and prove he's over 75. They might well check the electoral role! If he's just wanting to watch the news once in a while, he may ask if it;s worth the hassle.

Edited by Robert M Estall

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I tried to get BBC News on my MacBook, but they want me to get a TV license to do that. That costs almost $200US! I listen to the BBC World Service via US NPR. I'll have to figure out how I can watch an occasional film. 

As someone else has said, you qualify for a free TV license at the moment. Who knows if they will go ahead with stopping that.

I pay the  license fee monthly by direct debit. It works out at less than 50p a day which is an absolute bargain considering the quality of many of the programmes. And the bonus of no ad breaks!!

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

As someone else has said, you qualify for a free TV license at the moment. Who knows if they will go ahead with stopping that.

I pay the  license fee monthly by direct debit. It works out at less than 50p a day which is an absolute bargain considering the quality of many of the programmes. And the bonus of no ad breaks!!

And still a damn sight cheaper than cable and satellite TV charges. If you get a TV ask for a Freeview model. I think you have access to around 76 channels plus radio.

I don't see the sense in switching the TV on to listen to the radio though. Costs more in electricity which is not so good for the climate.

Allan

4 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Personally, I don't think I should get a free ride. We're in a position to pay so we should.

Hi Robert I am just wondering if you return the heating grant each year.🙂

Allan

Boy, you guys are worth your weight in gold. Maybe I will get me a small TV. 

Yesterday was my 85th birthday. Pret A Manger gave me another free breakfast . . . before they knew it was my birthday! 

I took the day off. Did zero towards getting more things together. It's nice and warm in my little studio flat but raining outside. 

😎

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Boy, you guys are worth your weight in gold. Maybe I will get me a small TV. 

Yesterday was my 85th birthday. Pret A Manger gave me another free breakfast . . . before they knew it was my birthday! 

I took the day off. Did zero towards getting more things together. It's nice and warm in my little studio flat but raining outside. 

😎

Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful year. Its great to see so many Brits helping you out.

All the Best

Duncan

A belated Happy Birthday! I had reckoned you as just about mid-eighties but didn't know you are bang in the middle. Raining outside? We are damp down here in Suffolk but not awash as up in the North-West. Pret A Manger are thin on the ground in this region but I'm glad to hear they put a human face on the sandwich bar scene.

In answer to Alan, no I don't send the heating grant back as I don't think that would reach the folk needing the help, but I do send it along to Homeless groups who I reckon are heatless as well as homeless. Came pretty close myself many years ago.