2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Boy, you guys are worth your weight in gold. Maybe I will get me a small TV. 

Yesterday was my 85th birthday. Pret A Manger gave me another free breakfast . . . before they knew it was my birthday! 

I took the day off. Did zero towards getting more things together. It's nice and warm in my little studio flat but raining outside. 

😎

Happy birthday for yesterday! A scorpio like me.... my birthday was a week ago.

Happy birthday and congratulations -- 85 years young is quite an accomplishment. 🥂

I have an old friend who is a Scorpio and you really remind me of him. You even look like him in your current profile pic.

Perhaps there is something to be said for this astrology stuff. I'm an airy-fairy Aquarian.

It’s like your finally finding a flat, moving in and getting situated was all about giving you a happy birthday.  Somebody must’ve finally found Murphy and wrung his neck. He and his law hung around here all summer, was probably bouncing between attention to you and me.
RIP, Murphy.

I’m a Sagittarius.

Betty

• Love 1

The lamps are both up and running . . . as is the heating, the kitchen, and the duvet. The only lingering problem with this studio is the lighting in the large designed-for-wheel-chair bathroom. It's ridiculously dark in there. An opened-ended project. 

Winter fuel payment? My electricity and water, all bills, are included in the rent. My guess is that the landlord might get that payment. 

I still have lots to do, of course. The couple I know here (he's Irish, she's America) will be helping me find the secondhand furniture that I need; they know all the good charity shops and have a car. For now, I'm happy camping out in this flat, which is roughly 2.5 times the size of my hotel room at the Tune. I'm less than a 10-minute walk from Liverpool ONE shopping mall and my Pret A Manger. There are pubs and bistros all around me with the one that does this just up the road:

2A55CHH.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Winter fuel payment? My electricity and water, all bills, are included in the rent. My guess is that the landlord might get that payment. 

Edo, even if your fuel costs are included in the rent, you are still paying for said heating and lighting costs. I'm pretty sure the winter fuel payment would go directly to youself. The issue is whether you are eligible.

There is nothing on the claim form about landlords - it asks for your bank account details so the payment goes directly to you...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/802445/winter-fuel-payment-claims-2019-2020.pdf

You have until 31 March 2020 to make a claim for this winter....

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

You will need a UK National Insurance number (I think you said you have one).

Go for it...🙂

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The lamps are both up and running . . . as is the heating, the kitchen, and the duvet. The only lingering problem with this studio is the lighting in the large designed-for-wheel-chair bathroom. It's ridiculously dark in there. An opened-ended project. 

I still have lots to do, of course. The couple I know here (he's Irish, she's America) will be helping me find the secondhand furniture that I need; they know all the good charity shops and have a car. For now, I'm happy camping out in this flat, which is roughly 2.5 times the size of my hotel room at the Tune. I'm less than a 10-minute walk from Liverpool ONE shopping mall and my Pret A Manger. There are pubs and bistros all around me with the one that does this just up the road:

2A55CHH.jpg

I’ve noticed UK bacon is not US bacon. More like thin slices of ham except ham comes from the leg. Not sure where UK bacon comes from.

33 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve noticed UK bacon is not US bacon. More like thin slices of ham except ham comes from the leg. Not sure where UK bacon comes from.

It comes from the loin Betty and is known as back bacon.  American Bacon is known as streaky bacon in the UK  and as in the US it comes from the belly. 

Edited by Shergar

Betty, in The States you use the term Canadian Bacon which doesn't mean it comes from Canada but from the pig's loin and is pretty much what we call Back Bacon in the UK. The American version is usually trimmed a bit more than the UK cut.

It's so long since I lived in Canada, I can't really remember how we referred to these two versions of cured pig. Our village butcher offers fairly lean dry-cured streaky cut a little thicker which Is currently my favourite

Edited by Robert M Estall

9 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

There is nothing on the claim form about landlords - it asks for your bank account details so the payment goes directly to you...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/802445/winter-fuel-payment-claims-2019-2020.pdf

You have until 31 March 2020 to make a claim for this winter....

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

You will need a UK National Insurance number (I think you said you have one).

Go for it...🙂

Thanks, Vincent

I'll be sorting out these and other things in the coming month. I need to get a UK bank account before dealing with the winter fuel payment. I have an NHS Number but not yet a National Insurance Number. I need to look into the pros and cons of that. I don't plan to work here. 

WJ18XD.jpg

I usually order the smoked salmon and poached eggs (above) but I get bacon once in awhile. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

WJ18XD.jpg

I usually order the smoked salmon and pouched eggs (above) but I get bacon once in awhile. 

Ed, pouched eggs is very descriptive but they are called POACHED eggs here!

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Served like that, "pouched" describes them rather well though and probably looked OK to Ed. . Too bad it's not a thing.

Pouched is indeed a good word, especially as you can buy a silicon 'pouch' to poach your egg in!

Took me years to perfect poaching eggs... a teaspoon of vinegar in the water!

(sorry...off topic!)