7 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

We use our bus passes a lot!

Going to friends for lunch today about 8 miles from home so will go by bus - taxis would be about £30.

Just checked - the Liverpool free pass includes some local rail journeys and the Mersey ferry.

We have to pay a nominal £12 a year to use the local Metro system and the  Tyne ferry, excellent value!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Do they have a gourmet section? 

Don't know I have not used one, but I think it is more the basics in stock.

Allan

34 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Just checked - the Liverpool free pass includes some local rail journeys and the Mersey ferry.

We have to pay a nominal £12 a year to use the local Metro system and the  Tyne ferry, excellent value!

We can't use our bus pass on the trains here. What is a "ferry"?😃

Allan

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Both Aldi & Lidl have branches out towards Lime Street station, they sell good stuff.

I shop frequently in my local Aldi, excellent food at very keen prices. I found one exception, their bread. It's always a little dry, gets gets dryer quickly. Seeded bread from another supermarket can be used well after its recommended 'best by' date, not the Aldi sliced bread I've sampled. I don't think I've just been unlucky, my sister who lives up in Yorkshire said the same to me.

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I kind of figured that. Guess I should have canned my poor attempt at humour. 🙄

Sorry I did not mean to shoot you down. I thought you genuinely did not know. Should have known better.😞

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

We can't use our bus pass on the trains here. What is a "ferry"?😃

Allan

Don’t know if I should touch this, whether you really don’t know or you’re teasing.

A ferry is a large boat that takes passengers and autos from one point to another point over water. Maybe small ferries only take passengers, not autos. I’ve only ever been on two, one on the east coast. It took us from the mainland coast to a barrier island and back. The other was in Canada, to Vancouver island.

So a ferry (noun) is a boat that “ferries” (verb) you from one place to another.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

I found one exception, their bread

Good point, we don't look to buy bread there ourselves so haven't tried it. As has already been said Lidl is good on croissants etc. Both Lidl & Aldi in France are better than their UK equivalents but it's a different market that they're catering for. Both retailers are surprisingly good on some of their hardwate/leisure/diy/clothing deals that come and go quite rapidly.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Don’t know if I should touch this, whether you really don’t know or you’re teasing.

A ferry is a large boat that takes passengers and autos from one point to another point over water. Maybe small ferries only take passengers, not autos. I’ve only ever been on two, one on the east coast. It took us from the mainland coast to a barrier island and back. The other was in Canada, to Vancouver island.

So a ferry (noun) is a boat that “ferries” (verb) you from one place to another.

Betty

You mean like this? 😂

wim

• Love 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Actually, we have Aldi’s sliced multigrain bread every day for breakfast! I keep it in the freezer though and just thaw or toast it daily.

Our freezer was filled to the brim to guard against Brexit no deal potential shortages, and still is. My wife does just about find room to wrap individual slices of her GF bread and freeze. 

Talking of ferries, we took a trip to Liverpool a few years ago specifically intending to take the ferry, only to find that the landing stage hand sunk - presumably now fixed.

Mustn't scoff however as the Tyne ferry is currently out of commission due to a similar problem.... 

and before leaving the topic here's one old ferry

the-river-tyne-steam-ferry-northumbrian-

I can remember my grandfather taking me on that one!

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Cambridgeshire is very flat and does not go in for large bodies of water. Allan's nearest ferry may well be this one.

Reedham Ferry across the River Yare saves users a journey of over 30 miles and is the only remaining vehicle ferry Stock Photo

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Cambridgeshire is very flat and does not go in for large bodies of water. Allan's nearest ferry may well be this one.

The River Nene in flood in November 2012, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England - Stock Image

On the contrary we have lots of water at times in north Cambridgshire. If it wasn't for the excellent flood management in Peterborough and surrounding areas, there would be serious impacts on urban areas. The picture above was taken in 2012 from Milton Ferry Bridge (below) which was built to replace the ferry around 300 years ago apparently.

Milton Ferry Bridge over the River Nene, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire Stock Photo

Edited by MDM

My favourite (inland) ferry: at Reedham in Norfolk, where the River Yare is only about three times the length of the ferry. There’s barely time to take in a film, and browse the duty-free shop, before you have to disembark on the other side…

car-ferry-across-the-river-yare-reedham-norfolk-england-uk-J0DF3M.jpg
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

Quite agree Betty. "You shouldn't have touched this." It was my turn at a poor attempt at humour.

I'll get me coat.

Allan

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Quite agree Betty. "You shouldn't have touched this." It was my turn at a poor attempt at humour.

I'll get me coat.

Allan

Well, Allan, you pulled me into that one. I thought maybe your brain had gone soft. Or something!
That’s what I get for my compulsive helpfulness! :P

Wish someone in my life felt compelled to come over and help me ready everything for family flying in for a Thanksgiving.

Here’s a dust cloth, please. Start in the bottom floor.
I tried to hand the turkey thawing in the refrigerator a dust cloth but it said it was happy where it is.

Betty

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

My favourite (inland) ferry: at Reedham in Norfolk, where the River Yare is only about three times the length of the ferry. There’s barely time to take in a film, and browse the duty-free shop, before you have to disembark on the other side…

car-ferry-across-the-river-yare-reedham-norfolk-england-uk-J0DF3M.jpg

:lol: