On 13/09/2019 at 11:59, Thyrsis said:

Interesting article John, I read that this morning.

A Beatles related story: My dad worked  as an accountant at a well known tailoring company in Regent Street at the time the Beatles played their famous gig on the Apple roof. Dad’s boss told him to go and tell them to shut up!!  So Dad actually went up to the roof to speak to them. Paul politely apologised for the noise and John told him to * off.

The Savile Row gig was the last time the Beatles played live together:  1969.   They only managed one song, Get Back, as the police were called to stop the noise.   Did your Dad end the Beatles?  ;)

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Wish someone in my life felt compelled to come over and help me ready everything for family flying in for a Thanksgiving.

Here’s a dust cloth, please. Start in the bottom floor.

Sorry Betty but I can't help you out this time. I am tied up looking at properties in Lincolnshire on the run up to the holiday then on further up the country to spend the holiday with my daughter.

Allan

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

This ferry isn't in Liverpool, but in an isolated part of northern Mexico. The operator -- who probably wouldn't be mistaken for one of the Beatles -- actually pulled it across the river (not the Mersey) by hand using a homemade wooden grabber.

hand-operated-river-ferry-near-the-town-

hand-operated-river-ferry-operator-near-

Hand pull ferries are also available in Devon - here is the Exeter Ferry

Exeter Quay - Butts Ferry - a hand-operated pedestrian cable ferry that crosses the River Exe Stock Photo

• Love 1

3 hours ago, marc said:

The Savile Row gig was the last time the Beatles played live together:  1969.   They only managed one song, Get Back, as the police were called to stop the noise.   Did your Dad end the Beatles?  ;)

😂

Actually they played several songs over about 40 minutes, finishing with ‘Get Back’. The police apparently phoned Apple and gave them a 10 minute warning so they could ‘tidy up’!

Lots of interesting info here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beatles-famous-rooftop-concert-15-things-you-didnt-know-58342/

• Love 1

The Ulysses ferry arriving in Dublin, my home town. The first time I ever left Ireland was on holliers to England through Liverpool. Nowadays most of the ferries are from Holyhead. I think there is still one from Liverpool but it is mainly for freight.

looking-towards-the-mouth-of-the-river-lifffey-at-the-entrance-to-dublin-port-dublin-ireland-from-irish-ferries-ship-ulysses-as-it-enters-the-port-TRT29H.jpg
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry Betty but I can't help you out this time. I am tied up looking at properties in Lincolnshire on the run up to the holiday then on further up the country to spend the holiday with my daughter.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Where  in Lincolnshire are you looking,  there are some lovely places up here. As you can probably see I'm in Louth, well a village very close. Give me a shout if you need any advice.

Regards

Paul

20 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

Hi Allan,

Where  in Lincolnshire are you looking,  there are some lovely places up here. As you can probably see I'm in Louth, well a village very close. Give me a shout if you need any advice.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul thanks for the offer of help. I think it best if we take this conversation off the forum and make it private.

If you could send your email address to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I will reply to you.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
removed email address

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'll have to put "hand-pull ferry" in my keywords. Thanks.

The ferry I referenced in Mexico actually took cars and trucks.

I've been looking at another expat's photos of the Wawa Boom, which is a ferry that runs on fixed cables across the Rio Wawa.  Another place on the go-to list for Nicaragua's back country.  The ferry takes cars and has women selling food along one side. 

6 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I've been looking at another expat's photos of the Wawa Boom, which is a ferry that runs on fixed cables across the Rio Wawa.  Another place on the go-to list for Nicaragua's back country.  The ferry takes cars and has women selling food along one side. 

Have to say that I've never heard of the Wawa Boom. I'm not sure where this ferry was headed on Lake Managua ( Lago Xolotlán), but it has licensed several times. Sorry, Edo, we seem to have ferried your Liverpool thread across the Mersey and beyond... 🥴

passenger-ferry-on-lake-managua-or-lago-

The Staten Island Ferry in NYC (takes you from Manhattan to Staten Island or vise versa) is still free for everyone, no 65+ passes needed. I remember the first time I had to handle a court case on Staten Island, I was surprised that any kind of city transport was free. That was years ago. Just checked online and it's still free. I remember my parents taking us for a ride on it sometimes as kids (you get a nice view of the city). 

NYC kids who live far enough away from their schools get a free bus pass to ride the buses and the subway. I lived 4 blocks from my grammar school as a kid growing up on City Island (a tiny island that is part of the Bronx, one of the boroughs in NYC) so I walked to school. But if I was going home with a friend who lived far enough to need a bus pass the driver would waive me on free anyway.

City Island was once a major boat building hub. A childhood friend of mine now runs the only boat yard left on the island.  There used to be several even when I was in high school. All those boats, but we did not have a ferry, but my grammar school was right on the water and every street pretty much dead-ended in a beach. Easy to understand where my obsession with the beach comes from, even if I'm technically a "city kid."  We swam from late April til late September. The water is warmest in autumn,  even if you needed to race into a very warm towel when you got out. 

Never knew the Mersey was in Liverpool until Ed moved there... but I know that song...

Edited by Marianne

More hijacking - I have views from several ferries on the east coast of the US, including from the Staten Island ferry, but the only actual photos of a ferry I could find were from Sweden, like this one. I was more interested in the little castle, LOL:

panoramic-seascape-view-of-medieval-style-castle-on-kastelholmen-stockholm-D33JXW.jpg

On the Beatles front, my husband's grandfather worked in a music hall in NYC where the Beatles were practicing before their gig on the Ed Sullivan Show. He came home and mentioned to my brother-in-law (then a teenager) that these musicians caused such a racket, of course my BIL was so disappointed he'd missed a chance to see them live. Hubs wasn't born yet. I was 5 and, like my teenage cousins, was in love with Paul. Seeing him on TV was enough of a thrill. 

Another hijack....I collect transporter bridges. it's a small collection.

GRHR4H.jpgDAMKF2.jpg

Not a true ferry......no problem..... I have 202. None across the Mersey.

This is a seller...the CalMac from Oban

ER89TF.jpg

........and you can do this on the Southwold ferry as well.......

JYEE2T.jpg

This is a ferry too....

BJPXGK.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

They have proper ferries in Venice; they're the main source of transportation. 

BJN3HB.jpg

Venice is having a hard time of it just now- they've had wet feet for a fortnight in San Marco.

Edited by spacecadet

Just had to join in.

Isle of Wight passenger and vehicle ferry White Sun in the Lymington estuary.

wight-sun-vehicle-and-passenger-ferry-taken-from-deck-of-wight-light-DH9BRB.jpg

Early morning view of Wightlink ferry aproaching Yarmouth Isle of Wight.

early-morning-wightlink-ferry-approaching-yarmouth-isle-of-wight-hampshire-DHWK32.jpg

The other ferry Red Funnel line. Red Jet 4 passenger ferry. (Smokin baby).

red-funnel-line-red-jet-4-passenger-ferry-leaving-cowes-trailing-exhaust-DH1GH1.jpg

Allan

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

GRHR4H.jpgDAMKF2.jpg

You collect these? Bleeding heck!!! How big's your shed???

DD

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

GRHR4H.jpg

Not a true ferry......no problem..... 

Ahhh... that brings back memories - I studied in Middlesbrough (Teeside Uni) and the Transporter bridge was a favourite for an excuse away from the books. Back then it had a Yellow gondola.

I see there is now a "visitor experience" where you can walk along the original walkways across the top. Back in my day this was a popular night time activity for students, after a few pints!

Edited by Jools Devon
remembered the swingy thing was called a gondola!