https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/liverpool-wilko-stores-sold-out-14263583

31 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ah si, Wim. Isola di San Michele, the last stop. 

Nonno Edo

Don't want to devieert you all from the ferries of the World, but I found a Wilko near me today. 😎

😁

This is the only Wilko I know. But yours is a sort of Home Depot or Ace Hardware, I guess.

wim

edit: Maybe not quite Ace Hardware 😂

Edited by wiskerke

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Have to say that I've never heard of the Wawa Boom. I'm not sure where this ferry was headed on Lake Managua ( Lago Xolotlán), but it has licensed several times. Sorry, Edo, we seem to have ferried your Liverpool thread across the Mersey and beyond... 🥴

passenger-ferry-on-lake-managua-or-lago-

That's what I've heard  called a launch here (I've taken one to Ometepe from San Jorge (Lago Colcibolca/Lake Nicaragua).   Ferries take cars.  Launches and pangas take passengers, freight, and occasional motorcycles but not cars.   The lake used to be easier travel from north of the lake to the capital than the roads.   The movie "Sandino" shows people traveling north on a ferry/launch.

The Wawa Boom is in one of the autonomous regions around 17 kilometers from Puerto Cabezas.   We've got one retiree in Matagalpa who goes from coast to coast, tourists areas to places that get maybe one foreign tourist every decade.  The autonomous regions are quite a bit poorer than the Pacific side of Nicaragua, and less populated.  Miskito, Garafuna, and Rama territories, plus Spanish and Creoles. 

There's a YouTube video of a Wawa Boom crossing. 

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't want to devieert you all from the ferries of the World, but I found a Wilko near me today. 😎

Beats me why Woolworths didn't do what Wilco has achieved. now one of my favourite stores!

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Beats me why Woolworths didn't do what Wilco has achieved. now one of my favourite stores!

Curious as to what the footprint of woolworths was compared to wilko, range, b&m and all the others.... Just thinking aloud. Must find a ferry picture... 

9 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

That's what I've heard  called a launch here (I've taken one to Ometepe from San Jorge (Lago Colcibolca/Lake Nicaragua).   Ferries take cars.  Launches and pangas take passengers, freight, and occasional motorcycles but not cars.   The lake used to be easier travel from north of the lake to the capital than the roads.   The movie "Sandino" shows people traveling north on a ferry/launch.

The Wawa Boom is in one of the autonomous regions around 17 kilometers from Puerto Cabezas.   We've got one retiree in Matagalpa who goes from coast to coast, tourists areas to places that get maybe one foreign tourist every decade.  The autonomous regions are quite a bit poorer than the Pacific side of Nicaragua, and less populated.  Miskito, Garafuna, and Rama territories, plus Spanish and Creoles. 

There's a YouTube video of a Wawa Boom crossing. 

I just called it a "passenger ferry". I've heard the terms "lancha" (launch) and "panga" used in Mexico to describe smaller boats with outboard motors that carry passengers and goods. Shall check out Wawa Boom. The name sounds intriguing. I've been on the Caribbean side but only briefly.

No doubt there are some colourful Liverpudlian terms used to describe ferries and various types of boats.

19 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Yep, this is the last one:

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/FXRWGA/venice-italy-water-hearse-or-funerary-funeral-boat-on-its-way-to-venices-FXRWGA.jpg

- taken from another ferry of course.

wim

Actually they were doing a burial at sea ceremony. Quick right turn and off she/he slides.

Allan

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Actually they were doing a burial at sea ceremony. Quick right turn and off she/he slides.

Allan

I did wonder about that- but look closely and there does seem to be some sort of clamp. The lagoon is usually calm enough, and the water taxis do plane quite smoothly though. Otherwise you'd spill your champagne. On a different occasion.

Anyway, you'd hardly be six feet under. Most of the lagoon is very shallow.

This deviant ferry sub thread led me to search the annals for an unusual pic, not previously uploaded to Alamy. Can't imagine that it will be a red hot seller, but you live in hope...

detail-view-of-the-windlass-and-mooring-

A car ferry without a main propulsion engine, using the current to propel it across the river.

22 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I did wonder about that- but look closely and there does seem to be some sort of clamp. The lagoon is usually calm enough, and the water taxis do plane quite smoothly though. Otherwise you'd spill your champagne. On a different occasion.

Anyway, you'd hardly be six feet under. Most of the lagoon is very shallow.

T'was said in jest Mark. Maybe in poor taste though.

Just for information I have spent some time in Venice back in the 1990's. NOTE to self:- Must get those negatives scanned.

I know the lagoon is shallow but would still not like to fall in.😧

Allan

• Love 1

Climate, Costs, Culture, Cuisine, Walkability, Healthcare, Resident Visa, Stock Subjects. 

All these things require some flexibility on my part of course. I've not been looking for perfection. 

Culture

I guess this was first term I thought of as a way to keep the C's going. "Things to do" might work better. One can go to a number of clubs in the Mathew Street area at night and drink and listen to people strumming guitars and singing Beatles songs . . . but I'd rather not. I have no TV either. Any suggestion as to a good UK video steaming site? There are a number of worthwhile museums in this city, a city rich in history. I don't know if I can manage the sadness of the Slavery Museum right now. If football can be considered culture, they surely have that here. Someone once said, "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's more serious than that." 

Walkability

This is paramount for me. That's why I will not be living in a bedroom community and taking a bus into town, not in this unpredictable climate. 

Heathcare

Again, that's paramount! And in the UK right now, it's FREE for me including my meds. With my Irish citizenship, it should remain so even after Brexit. 

Resident Visa

And again, as an Irish citizen with the longtime special relationship, I can live here and even vote. And, like no other passport carrier, I can come and go to EU countries. Perfect. 

Stock Subjects

Other than eating lunch, editorial stock photography is what I do.

In Liverpool, as in all large cities, there are lots of Level B and Level C stock subjects. This is what I shoot most often. Anyone who comes here for a day or a month will be going after major landmarks, Level A. I'll do them too, of course, and I'll be able to do them in better light.

Side trips? They will include Manchester and Leeds. If I had a car or a licence to rent and drive, I would be shooting some villages. I love British villages. Like a proper pub, they are the core of the nation's society. In the spring, I'll consider a trip to Pisa or maybe Prague or Budapest. 

Right now, I'm looking forward to finishing up my flat and having three days of low-angle winter sunshine with lighted buildings in the late afternoon. 

Edwardo of Liverpool

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

T'was said in jest Mark. Maybe in poor taste though.

Just for information I have spent some time in Venice back in the 1990's. NOTE to self:- Must get those negatives scanned.

I know the lagoon is shallow but would still not like to fall in.😧

Allan

Not at all.

We rented a topetta a while back and kept running aground. Only way you'd drown is if you hit your head on the seabed..

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

So, the Liverpool rating:

Climate  F in winter, A in summer 

Costs  B 

Culture  B- 

Cuisine  C- 

Walkability  A 

Healthcare  A+ 

Resident Visa  A+

Stock Subjects  B- 

Looks close on perfect to me - you'll never get total perfection.  Liverpool is without doubt my favourite city.

• Like 1

News from NYC, Edo. I went to a Thanksgiving dinner with a bunch of New Yorkers and one guy knows a relative of the owners of Angelos. They will be re-opening very soon. Really. I don't know about the rest of the building but it must be habitable if they are letting the restaurant re-open.

Paulette

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

News from NYC, Edo. I went to a Thanksgiving dinner with a bunch of New Yorkers and one guy knows a relative of the owners of Angelos. They will be re-opening very soon. Really. I don't know about the rest of the building but it must be habitable if they are letting the restaurant re-open.

Paulette

What's mind-bending about that news, Paulette, is that we are getting near to two years since the fire, 17 Feb 2018. They have been saying they are about to reopen Angelo's since a few weeks after the fire. I'm betting the Amici di Amici in Florida who own the restaurant will never reopen it. Little Italy in Lower Manhattan was a fact for over 100 years. It is no longer. 

Just above the Xmas store on the right you will see a slab of grey concrete. That's the entrance to my building. I never see anyone going in or out. Hmmm. 

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/littleitaly/?cam=littleitaly

• Love 1

"Your boys" did well last night, Edo.

Of course, after a local derby, half of Liverpool will have a hangover from the celebrations, while the other half will have been 'drowning their sorrows'. Hangovers either way.

I saw the game on Amazon. What a strange world we're living in... when we watch football c/o the people who flog us books and music.

I hope you had some photo opportunities...

Edited by John Morrison
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, John Morrison said:

"On the bench", Edo, or on the fence? Big difference...

I think he means he was no where near the ground. And just to make it clear I don't mean floating in the air.😃

Allan

Photo opportunities not far from, if not actually in, Liverpool my vote would go to New Brighton. It was my Disneyland growing up in Wallasey in the sixties and subsequently made somewhat famous by Martin Parr (The Last Resort). I know Parr has come in for some criticism for those images, arguably demeaning his subjects and 'stylising' his depiction of the less well-off. I suppose, but I feel nothing but nostalgia when I look at them (which I frequently do). Book a ferry ticket! Haven't been back for decades, but I'd be surprised if it disappointed.