Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vpics said:

The idea is not wrong, but it's difficult to achieve sometimes.

 

Saying that, I was at the big Brexit protest a month ago and watched staff photographers from PA and AP. 

They probably have basic captions pre-loaded, then they transfer the images via wifi to their phones and off they go. 

I'm sure they will sit down after the event and select a few more pix, but this is how it works nowadays.

 

I remember shooting the last Trump protest outside Blenheim Palace. At times I was shooting alongside the big agency photographers, but their speed of filing ensured their pictures were used by the national press. I see one way of combatting that is to seek out eye catching images that hopefully only you have photographed, but if the big agency images have already been used would you still get a look in? Possibly all hypo theoretical as I have no news upload via Alamy.

 

Will need to think about the June Trump state visit best approach as it will be media saturated.

Edited by sb photos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vpics said:

They probably have basic captions pre-loaded, then they transfer the images via wifi to their phones and off they go. 

 

 

 

It's not that difficult to do......pre-caption>wifi from camera to phone>sent out from phone...in  real time.

I do it almost on a daily basis with my weather pix

 

Such as this one from this morning...

 

Aberystwyth Ceredigion Wales UK, Saturday 27 April 2019  UK weather: Storm Hannah batters Aberystwyth with powerful winds gusting at over 60mph. A yellow warning for wind has been issued by the Met Office for much of the UK for today   photo © Keith Morris / Alamy Live News Stock Photo

 

Pre captioned (using Shuttersnitch) with:

Aberystwyth Ceredigion Wales UK, Saturday 27 April 2019 UK weather: Storm Hannah batters Aberystwyth with powerful winds gusting at over 60mph. A yellow warning for wind has been issued by the Met Office for much of the UK for today photo © Keith Morris / Alamy Live News

 

Sufficiently 'generic' to cover  a range of situations......

-

Edited by RedSnapper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you edit on your phone? I find the screen much too small for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bigjimh71 said:

Do you edit on your phone? I find the screen much too small for that.

 

edit on the camera , if needed, otherswise just send the jpg..

 

km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. As I usually shoot concerts and festivals I tend to always shoot in raw. As I am looking to expand what I do I may need to rethink that.

I'm going to be shooting a couple of protests this afternoon so will have a play around and see what I can achieve.

I've not got my live news uploads re-enabled yet so this gives me a good chance to have a play around and test out whats possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bigjimh71 said:

Does anyone know is it shots uploaded within an hour of the event your attending finishing or is it within an hour of the shot being taken?

It's within 24 hours of the shots being taken.  The hour thing is just a guideline.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bigjimh71 said:

Ah. As I usually shoot concerts and festivals I tend to always shoot in raw.

 

I shoot Raw + Jpg to two cards....and then use the in-camera raw editor to maker any adjustments needed...takes only a few seconds (or simply send the camera jpg ..)

 

The pic i posted above was shot and sent in within about 45 seconds

 

km

 

 

and this one too was filed via my phone and is running in the Sun Online as part of their Storm Hannah coverage...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8951579/storm-hannah-leaves-homes-without-power/

 

NINTCHDBPICT0004857500561.jpg?w=960

Edited by RedSnapper
add image and URL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vpics said:

The idea is not wrong, but it's difficult to achieve sometimes.

 

Saying that, I was at the big Brexit protest a month ago and watched staff photographers from PA and AP. 

They probably have basic captions pre-loaded, then they transfer the images via wifi to their phones and off they go. 

I'm sure they will sit down after the event and select a few more pix, but this is how it works nowadays.

 

A lot of them now also attach a voice recording instead of written captions when they file through to the wire agencies. That's a nice, quick way (although not without pitfalls regarding names/spelling), but of course also then requires work on the agency side again, which isn't realistic with Alamy. The other thing is that it requires enough manpower agency-side to identify, follow and anticipate some of the less obvious, less predictable news events, especially in London, and it would require co-ordinating the available togs more on those breaking news stories that weren't in anyone's schedule at the start of the day. The larger agencies simply have that manpower.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2019 at 15:36, Sally said:

This is very worrying. If live news prices have fallen so much then it simply makes it not worth the effort. I got two invoices today for which I would normally expect to get around $50 at only $14. That’s a massive reduction and makes them about the same as stock images.

Maybe that's what's behind all this. If market forces have forced the prices so low that there's no money in it for Alamy unless they can pare down the process

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Maybe that's what's behind all this. If market forces have forced the prices so low that there's no money in it for Alamy unless they can pare down the process

It seems a bit of a coincidence that these lower prices have occurred just after the ‘culling’ of live news contributors, and I can’t help wondering if a whole new model of live news is upon us. When I queried the price I was told that there had not been a change of fee rates, just that live news rate can vary. Yes, they can, but similar uses over more than a year have never varied more than a few dollars, so a reduction of almost 75% doesn’t constitute a variation in my book. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, Sally said:

When I queried the price I was told that there had not been a change of fee rates, just that live news rate can vary.

I always thought that the variation in price was due to a threshold reach (x amount of images downloaded, you get a further discount?)

In the past year I have seen $34 and $31 so it does happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely supply and demand has to come into it - are there really that many photographers from other agencies taking the same photos as are available on Live news Alamy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Surely supply and demand has to come into it - are there really that many photographers from other agencies taking the same photos as are available on Live news Alamy?

 

No. At some events there can be very large numbers of photographers, especially if you have them working in teams, and at times a scrum. Recently I dug out some old B&W prints I shot in the late 70's of an orderly scrum of photographers photographing the head of a CND march about to leave Hyde Park. I only recognised one photographer and 3 in the march, Tony Benn, Ron Todd and of course Bruce Kent. There must have been 30 or more photographers, can't count them as I'm away in Bristol. It's nothing new.

 

I was photographing a smaller event in Oxford yesterday, perhaps 2000 marchers, with Peter Egan and other animal rights activists present. Even then there were other photographers and videographers there, but none I recognised, and I didn't spot any upload in the live news feed. Would likely have been different if it had took place in London. Lots of police but peaceful, no one scaling the fences around Oxford Uni labs. Wasn't worth touting my shoot elsewhere, so mine will go into Alamy stock.

Edited by sb photos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sb photos said:

 

No. At some events there can be very large numbers of photographers, especially if you have them working in teams, and at times scrum. Recently I dug out some old B&W prints I shot in the late 70's of an orderly scrum of photographers photographing the head of a CND march about to leave Hyde Park. I only recognised one photographer and 3 in the march, Tony Benn, Ron Todd and of course Bruce Kent. There must have been 30 or more photographers, can't count them as I'm away in Bristol. It's nothing new.

 

I was photographing a smaller event in Oxford yesterday, perhaps 2000 marchers, with Peter Egan and other animal rights activists present. Even then there were other photographers and videographers there, but none I recognised, and I didn't spot any upload in the live news feed. Would likely have been different if it had took place in London. Lots of police but peaceful, no one scaling the fences around Oxford Uni labs. Wasn't worth touting my shoot elsewhere, so mine will go into Alamy stock.

See this is where I cannot but help think Alamy have misjudged and got it wrong.  There is absolutely no way to tell in advance if an event like that is going to become big news or not - and surely it is better to have photos of it that don't sell than not have photos that would sell?  The misjudgement is in the way Alamy have handled this - because I know photographers who would previously have automatically sent to Alamy are now going to send elsewhere and that is to Alamys detriment.

I get the need to slim down and clean up the newsfeed - but it could have been done in a different way.  The whole"soft" and "breaking" news idea has been put forward many times - how about having it so that there are subjects which only "accepted" members can submit (weather anyone?) and include a constantly updated list of events where accredited photographers are covering and make it clear to all those no on the list that if they submit on a subject or event listed as covered they will lose privileges but allow uploading of newsworthy stuff otherwise.

Alamy backroom would then have 2 feeds - the accredited subjects and events where they know the contributors are going to be spot on and a second feed of all other news stuff so that if (when) a story suddenly develops out of nowhere (a couple of drunks passed out on a bench becomes novichok) they can immediately check the second feed and possibly find there was an Alamy contributor on scene and they have scooped every wire service in town and have photos worth a fortune.  Having contributors otherwise upload such things as stock or send it to other services is not going to help Alamy.

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

See this is where I cannot but help think Alamy have misjudged and got it wrong.  There is absolutely no way to tell in advance if an event like that is going to become big news or not - and surely it is better to have photos of it that don't sell than not have photos that would sell?  The misjudgement is in the way Alamy have handled this - because I know photographers who would previously have automatically sent to Alamy are now going to send elsewhere and that is to Alamys detriment.

I get the need to slim down and clean up the newsfeed - but it could have been done in a different way.  The whole"soft" and "breaking" news idea has been put forward many times - how about having it so that there are subjects which only "accepted" members can submit (weather anyone?) and include a constantly updated list of events where accredited photographers are covering and make it clear to all those no on the list that if they submit on a subject or event listed as covered they will lose privileges but allow uploading of newsworthy stuff otherwise.

Alamy backroom would then have 2 feeds - the accredited subjects and events where they know the contributors are going to be spot on and a second feed of all other news stuff so that if (when) a story suddenly develops out of nowhere (a couple of drunks passed out on a bench becomes novichok) they can immediately check the second feed and possibly find there was an Alamy contributor on scene and they have scooped every wire service in town and have photos worth a fortune.  Having contributors otherwise upload such things as stock or send it to other services is not going to help Alamy.

 

I've generally kept out of the right or wrongs of the live news debacle.

 

As you brought it up, I can only assume Alamy had a valid reason for the changes. Although far from perfect it could have been their best option, I doubt they would have made such changes without undertaking a realistic risk assessment or similar. Who knows, we just have to get on with life and earn a crust. Now to set off for home and yet more culling and editing.

Edited by sb photos
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

 

I always thought that the variation in price was due to a threshold reach (x amount of images downloaded, you get a further discount?)

In the past year I have seen $34 and $31 so it does happen

Have you seen $14? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Nope!

That’s my point. I have had dozens of licenses for same use, same newspaper: $49-50. Now $14. A “variation”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sally said:

Have you seen $14? 

Yes, and $13. One a suspect vehicle, and one a violent policing situation. Not a great incentive to get in there and do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning,

 

I have just read 24 pages of the discussion about the recent changes to Almy Live News Feed, and I'm no clearer to why this is happening. I asked Alamy the day it happened and the response was far from a justified explanation, especially if the Live News Feed was your only revenue stream. The only explanation I can think of that a Union has been involved due to the number of photographers/videographers attending breaking news events and Almy have been asked to clean up their contributors? I expect this as if this was in any other industry Alamy would have a Union knocking on there door demanding a detailed explanation. 

 

I, just like many other contributors want a clear defined answer so I can either, learn from this or simply move on, as I have missed almost a months worths of breaking news events, especially around the Extinction Rebellion movement.

 

Best Regards,

 

Andy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...but then again, the LiveNews rates for print usage are still much healthier than the standard stock rates...just had 5 x $$$ usages reported this morning

 

 

km

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2019 at 10:43, Starsphinx said:

Surely supply and demand has to come into it - are there really that many photographers from other agencies taking the same photos as are available on Live news Alamy?

A number of shooters also supply to other agencies in parallel with what they send to Alamy, in particular to R/S which quantity-wise seem to have more success. I believe their cut was lower than that received via sales through Alamy so it could well be an attempt to compete on more level terms by undercutting pricing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2019 at 12:12, Colblimp said:

It's definitely the arse end lol! 😂

 

I'm ready for Hannah - one of the nationals rang me yesterday looking for pics - 'we'll probably run with a front page and 2 or 3 more inside'.  Nice!

Very exciting it was too, next to the Solent- in a tent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today 30/04/18 there are some 600 stories in the News Feed. I didn't count them all, but I'd guess that fewer than 150 of these are UK related. Alamy is of course a "goto" UK agency.

 

They will never publish it, but I'd love to know how sales from the news stream have fared since the change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/04/2019 at 10:56, MDM said:

 

Do local newspapers actually pay for photography these days? Would they actually license a picture from Alamy or anywhere else? Where I live (Peterborough, population around 200,000), what used to be the local daily paper is now a weekly, everything is now online and the photography appears to be mainly citizen journalism provided free. The local Toys'R'Us burned down a few nights ago which is probably the biggest thing that has happened here since the Fiona Onasanya debacle. You can judge the photography and where it was sourced yourself but I doubt they paid a penny for it.  The quality of the imagery speaks for itself.

 

They do if photographers direct them to Alamy. I was fortunate that Sunday night, Ashdown forest caught light and my LN application had been restored the previous week. All photo enquires, be it Local or National were directed straight to Alamy Live News, Credit leeches were left with no where to go except embedding tweets, I was surprised a number of big players wanted it for free. Just a shame Alamy don't deal with video content yet or their income from sales would of been a lot higher!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.