Just had an email revoking my access to Live News uploads - fair enough, as I'm not a news photographer and only occasionally submit such images. However I notice the new time limit is for submission within one hour of the event, which seems a bit tight to me - anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Alex

• Love 1

I just got the email too. Does alamy want to prune out their news submitters?  None of my live news images have sold as news, only as stock.

I'm wondering if all news submitters have to re-apply,

Edited by MariaJ

7 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

I'm wondering if all news submitters have to re-apply,

I can imagine they have been working with some of the bigger news submitters on this, and that they wouldn't need to apply.

12 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

However I notice the new time limit is for submission within one hour of the event, which seems a bit tight to me - anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Seems reasonable to me, it being Live News.

• Like 1

yes had to reapply

certainly looks like a way of trimming down the number of contributors who can submit to live news and also therefore cut out the non newsworthy images that get uploaded via this route

to be truly news - yes the 1 hour timeframe is really the absolute latest - a few minutes would be preferred

I received an email reminding me to comply with the headline and captioning policies, and to upload promptly. That's fair enough. I sent a reply asking whether this was as a result of any error on my part, but am hoping it was a 'catch all' to all contributors having now seen this thread.

6 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I received an email reminding me to comply with the headline and captioning policies, and to upload promptly. That's fair enough. I sent a reply asking whether this was as a result of any error on my part, but am hoping it was a 'catch all' to all contributors having now seen this thread.

No, I didn't get that one.

33 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Just had an email revoking my access to Live News uploads - fair enough, as I'm not a news photographer and only occasionally submit such images. However I notice the new time limit is for submission within one hour of the event, which seems a bit tight to me - anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Alex

Do they mean within an hour of the event being finished or the photo being taken. Captioning and submitting images while in the middle of shooting an ongoing Brexit protest is unrealistic, isn't it?

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Iain Masterton said:

Can you elaborate?

I would take it from that, Keith is exempt at least. His was the first name that came to my mind when I assumed some would be "exempt".

I've held an NUJ Press Card since 1981 and my "license to news" was revoked, too.

I sometimes liken Alamy management to the current Government (re: Brexit). You assume they know what they're doing, because they are in charge.  But sometimes, their actions would say differently.

• Love 1
  • Like 4

Are Alamy intending to curtail 'soft' live news with this action? Weather pics? Pictures of steam train excursions on the main line (a favourite of mine)?  Not only is a one hour limit not needed in such cases, but may not be possible - I've often been in locations where a mobile data connection is limited or non-existent. 

3 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I would take it from that, Keith is exempt at least. His was the first name that came to my mind when I assumed some would be "exempt".

I've held an NUJ Press Card since 1981 and my "license to news" was revoked, too.

I sometimes liken Alamy management to the current Government (re: Brexit). You assume they know what they're doing, because they are in charge.  But sometimes, their actions would say differently.

and because the application process requires one to submit a recent PDF of a  news clipping with your work in it - well that's catch 22 - how can you submit that work if you aren't able to register for live upload

in effect once locked out - you can't rejoin

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

and because the application process requires one to submit a recent PDF of a  news clipping with your work in it - well that's catch 22 - how can you submit that work if you aren't able to register for live upload

I was foolish enough to try and re-apply, just done it. I'll let you know. I submitted a clip from an Irish national broadsheet, taken in February. It was sold directly to the paper (not via Alamy news) - and for a good $$$ price. Although it does have that in my caption, because I also submitted to Alamy News feed. So, it is possible to still get news published without them.

Edited by Steve Valentia
  • Like 1

Just submitted mine, The PDF was a pain but thankfully a local rag ran a few images last week. I personally think it's been done to weed out those who choose to use the Live News upload as a way to bypass the 2-3 day QC for non news. UK Weather i believe will allowed as long as the IPTC captioning is correct

i doubt the live news team is ever going to read these forums, but i say this is unfair.  i occasionally do spot news when i come across it, bigger protest events that are non uk, european based. when i upload them here to alamy, they never sell I think due to alamy not having the right buyers for them.   maybe 1-2 of the images might later get sold as a stock by a non news  education/editorial buyer.

however, i would like to have the option to upload such images and at least have a chance for somebody to at least glance at them and see if they would work with their newspaper or whatever. now i will never get that chance.  i did try the pacific press route, but htat was a really bad setup.

this really sucks.     really unfair.  now it's a catch 22 situation how do I get access and prove that i'm able to have news image available, yet, don't have access in any way to be able to do that.  maybe alamy should be looking at increasing their us buyers.    get the people who buy on getty to at least look at alamy. i can't get on getty, tried.  the only thing that sold in a us newspaper recently wasn't even spot news, just a stock image to highlight an article.     and recently, some spot news images I had of some local event but significant enough, some local newspaper wanted the images for free, i declined.

Edited by sooth
  • Like 1

I've been asked to reapply but I only occasionally submit news. Ironically, the pdf I will send them is one they sent me a month ago showing me a Live News sale in The Sun newspaper.

3 minutes ago, sooth said:

how do I get access and prove that i'm able to have news image available, yet, don't have access in any way to be able to do that.  maybe alamy should be looking at increasing their us buyers.    get the people who buy on getty to at least look at alamy. i can't get on getty, tried.

There was print life before Alamy. Go directly to the source. See my post above. This is the image I mentioned, it made me 10 times the usual Alamy live news fee.

examiner.jpg

Edited by Steve Valentia

3 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

I haven't had a recent live news sale - but i do genuinely only submit newsworthy images - but being non uk/non US - have always suspected Alamy isn't the best option for my location

"Recent published work" - Could be local press who have purchased elsewhere

53 minutes ago, Avpics said:

but am hoping it was a 'catch all' to all contributors having now seen this thread.

I presume it was a "catchall", but only for the chosen few allowed to continue submitting news. The rest of us were unceremoniously dumped.

Edited by Steve Valentia
improved the grammatical syntax of a sentence
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I am one of the “chosen few” (sorry). 95% of my work is hard(ish) news and my stuff gets published in the nationals.  But a strict one hour limit is going to change my workflow to smaller more frequent submissions (which is probably the idea) .  I sometimes have two or three stories running (Downing Street, Cabinet office, College Green), so I will have to decide which one/s to drop so I can file.  The same with demos.  Go in, take pictures, leave demo, edit and file then return and repeat.  It will certanly focus my mind, but at the risk of perhaps missing some of the action.  

Fortunatly I have just upgraded to photomecanic 6 which is supposed to be even faster for culling, captions and capture.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

unceremoniously dumped.

+1.

No email, but the news folder has disappeared from my FTP remote site directory.

It's greyed out on the web uploader too. No notice, no countdown, just cut off. I have to say I consider that sneaky.

• Love 2
  • Like 4

The rest of us were unceremoniously dumped.

I'll agree with that, although I have only been recently been trying to understand the live news route, I also have no published photos to send and I assume that's tough tooty can't join the club.

Really not nice and no warning either

• Alamy locked this topic