Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 
 
 
Quote

 

 

On 16/04/2019 at 08:54, Paul Glendell said:

I haven't read every post here - I do have a life - so can anyone that was taken off the live news list and that has since applied to join has been accepted or declined. I see many people complaining that they have been taken off the list, even those with press cards but have they applied to see if they can join.  I applied last week and am waiting to see the result. 

I applied within 24 hours of receiving the email from them and am still waiting for a reply. 

While I cannot say where the fault lies as I don't know what happened internally to result in this happening or how much notice the news team had of the extra workload of having to deal with all of us reapplying, the net result has been a mess which has left a lot of contributors feeling very put out.

I would hope that the management at Alamy would learn from this to find a better way to do things in the future, but they don't seem to have learned from past issues that upset their contributors so I'm not holding my breath.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This hasn't really affected me but I have been appalled to see the way it was done. Giving ample notice would have also given ample time for people to re-apply and for the decisions to be made on whether they could continue with their plans to shoot news. So unfortunate all around.

 

Paulette

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sultanpepa said:

To be fair, I don't think anyone has criticised individuals just the Alamy collective and the rather crass way things are dealt with at times. 

 

No, you're quite right; it's just that things can sometimes be misinterpreted...and I'm probably not the best at conveying my thoughts clearly at times without seeming very upset!  I wanted to make it clear to Alamy staffers that I have found them to be generally extremely helpful. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

 

Camera to phone by wireless .

Phone to picture desk by 4G.

No need to disconnect / reconnect.

 

shoot>transfer>upload...about 15 seconds

km

I do upload my RAW files to my laptop via photo mechanic so I can select and use a template for caption, keywords etc, then import into lightroom for a quick edit and then upload to Alamy via mifi.  About fifteen to twenty minutes for a big shoot.   I have duel cards, one raw and one JPEG  for a really big story I can upload using the jpegs from photo mechanic - about five minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

I do upload my RAW files to my laptop via photo mechanic so I can select and use a template for caption, keywords etc, then import into lightroom for a quick edit and then upload to Alamy via mifi.  About fifteen to twenty minutes for a big shoot.   I have duel cards, one raw and one JPEG  for a really big story I can upload using the jpegs from photo mechanic - about five minutes. 

 

I get the impression ('scuse the pun!) that a number of press togs seem to use photo mechanic (sometimes in tandem with LR, as you do).  Is it worth the extra investment?  I guess that you'll answer inn the positive, otherwise you wouldn't be using it!  But what's the primary benefit?  Speed? Keywording and captioning?  Something else?

 

Sorry to hijack the thread - just looking for a quick reply, if poss.  Thanks.

Edited by losdemas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, losdemas said:

 

I get the impression ('scuse the pun!) that a number of press togs seem to use photo mechanic (sometimes in tandem with LR, as you do).  Is it worth the extra investment?  I guess that you'll answer inn the positive, otherwise you wouldn't be using it!  But what's the primary benefit?  Speed? Keywording and captioning?  Something else?

 

Sorry to hijack the thread - just looking for a quick reply, if poss.  Thanks.

I am not a press tog - I do sports photography, stock photography, a small bit of news when it lands in front of me photography, and please myself photography.  I absolutely could not do without photo mechanic.  I would drop LR before I dropped photo mechanic.

First big huge positive - it is way quicker at importing and sorting photos than LR.  It can import and have thumbnails for checking within seconds.  For those used to working with LR I believe they need to experience it to believe it.  
Then it is fully compatible with LR - my workflow is import with PM, run through and tick the photos I want to work with, then drag them into LR.  LR will then only catalogue the images I want to work on which is much quicker.

Second big positive is the what PM calls "stationary" - which is iptc data.  The flexibility and variability of this is huge.  You can save any number of pre-filled forms that can then be set to be applied to photos on import (which for some reason PM calls ingest but its the same thing).  These can be anything from basic copyright and contact markings to full shoot and location details - and of course the caption headline and keywords.  Of course, once these are applied they are still fully editable. 

Thirdly in partly in conjunction with the stationary pad but also working in other areas there are "variables" - for instance, my photos are set to import to {imn3}-{idy0}-{iyr4} - ***  - that gives me the month, day, year and the stars represent shoot title.  So if I go out Monday and shoot easter it would return Apr - 22 -2019 - easter - and the only thing I would actually have to type is "easter"  There are a huge number of variables - from settings on the camera to sizes to custom settings the user creates themselves.   The user can define any number of shortcodes - and any number of groups of shortcodes.  This means a sports photographer can create a list of team players names linked to numbers then type the numbers in the caption field and the names will be printed - and again can save any number of team lists.
You can colour mark, star rate, and tick - up to 7 colours, 5 stars, and ticked or not ticked gives you I do not know how many categories.  Also where it is compatible with LR you can set it to use just lightroom colours then anything you mark in LR can be saved in PM.

It is absolutely worth the extra investment - but they offer a month's free test to try it out.  PM 6 has just been released - I have not tried it because I cannot afford it right now but 5 is still absolutely fine.  As someone else said on here when we were discussing the release of 6 PM is unusual in that it is a small group of software engineers that actually totally focus on what is needed and do not fill the program with unnecessary bells and whistles bloatware.  The program does what is says it does, does it well, and is probably one of the most stable bits of software I have come across.  I cannot recommend strongly enough that people go and try that free month test and see for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

8 hours ago, losdemas said:

 

I get the impression ('scuse the pun!) that a number of press togs seem to use photo mechanic

 

1) Is it worth the extra investment?  

 

2) But what's the primary benefit?  Speed? Keywording and captioning?  Something else?

1) Yes

 

2) Speed

Edited by Colblimp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, losdemas said:

 

I get the impression ('scuse the pun!) that a number of press togs seem to use photo mechanic (sometimes in tandem with LR, as you do).  Is it worth the extra investment?  I guess that you'll answer inn the positive, otherwise you wouldn't be using it!  But what's the primary benefit?  Speed? Keywording and captioning?  Something else?

 

Sorry to hijack the thread - just looking for a quick reply, if poss.  Thanks.

Yes, it speeded up my filing by a very large margin.    As noted all the above!  I use the templates/stationary  a lot, I have a list of cabinet ministers and just type /Gove/ and I get “Michael Gove MP PC,  Secretary of State for the Environment”. Correct spelling and job title.  The template already has location, date and activity and all IPTC fields complete..  So I end up with London 1st April 2019 Michael Gove MP PC Secretary of State for the Environment arrive for a cabinet meeting at 10 Downing Street.  All I will have typed is /Gove/. 

 

Even setting up ad-hoc events is very fast and ensures consistent format and spelling.   

 

I tend to to set up templates for specific events like London Fashion Week or Trooping the Colour  and just add details to captions as required.  

 

As noted the speed of reading RAW files is unbelievable.  So selection, rating and culling is as fast as you can press the keys.  It will read hundreds of raw files almost instantly, if you have a high spec laptop.

 

i would not be without it.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

 

1) Yes

 

2) Speed

 

A bit more succinct than my rave lol

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

Yes, it speeded up my filing by a very large margin.    As noted all the above!  I use the templates/stationary  a lot, I have a list of cabinet ministers and just type /Gove/ and I get “Michael Gove MP PC,  Secretary of State for the Environment”. Correct spelling and job title.  The template already has location, date and activity and all IPTC fields complete..  So I end up with London 1st April 2019 Michael Gove MP PC Secretary of State for the Environment arrive for a cabinet meeting at 10 Downing Street.  All I will have typed is /Gove/. 

 

Even setting up ad-hoc events is very fast and ensures consistent format and spelling.   

 

I tend to to set up templates for specific events like London Fashion Week or Trooping the Colour  and just add details to captions as required.  

 

As noted the speed of reading RAW files is unbelievable.  So selection, rating and culling is as fast as you can press the keys.  It will read hundreds of raw files almost instantly, if you have a high spec laptop.

 

i would not be without it.  

It is also of huge benefit if you send to more than one agency as you can have a basic template set up with what each requires, and then adapt to the specific shoot. For anything with lots of names or identifiers that you know beforehand, the code replacement facility - as Ian stated, is a very big time saver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2019 at 23:39, Chuck Nacke said:

I am not buying this, I have dealt with Jessica many times without problem and under major difficult circumstances and also on much larger stories

than a Rugby Game, and she was professional and efficient.

 

I am going to send an email to Jessica and with her permission I will post her and Alamy's response to this thread.

 

Tired of this.

 

Chuck Nacke

Where, Chuck, does it say, in what I wrote,  that I criticized, Jessica, or any individual staff member? Nowhere.

When and if you do get a response, let me know, because I still have not gotten one from my April 5th email to Alamy News.

Cheers

Gerry Rousseau

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gerry,

 

I do apologize, I should not have mentioned Jessica, I was just dealing with her at the time,  I should have written Alamy News.

I do stand by the rest of what I wrote.  I've dealt with News several times today, 4/17, and they were great to communicate with.

 

I also never wrote that you "criticized" anyone.....

 

Chuck Nacke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Gerry,

 

I do apologize, I should not have mentioned Jessica, I was just dealing with her at the time,  I should have written Alamy News.

I do stand by the rest of what I wrote.  I've dealt with News several times today, 4/17, and they were great to communicate with.

 

I also never wrote that you "criticized" anyone.....

 

Chuck Nacke

Thanks Chuck, all is good.

Have a great day.

Gerry

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2019 at 13:24, RedSnapper said:

 

Camera to phone by wireless .

Phone to picture desk by 4G.

No need to disconnect / reconnect.

 

shoot>transfer>upload...about 15 seconds

km

 

Yep, can do it, but still no news upload allowed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2019 at 05:36, Gerry Rousseau said:

April 3, I had flown from Vancouver to Hong Kong, I had Accreditation from Alamy News to cover the HK Rugby 7's.

It wasn't all business of course, it was pleasure as well. It being my third time for this event being held at Hong Kong Stadium, which is such a wonderful venue, with a gorgeous backdrop and an incredible fan base, and I was looking forward to shooting the Sevens again.

April 4, the day before the event I received my letter as well. At first it took me by surprise, and I wasn't sure how to feel. Obviously any photos I took would not be going any further than my laptop. 

I have nothing bad to say about Alamy News, Jessica and the team ( not sure if she is still there or not, or who all the team consisted of) have always been good people to deal with.

What got to me, was the lack of professionalism on the part of whoever is there now, might be the same people, I don't know.

I am very aware that it is Alamy's game board and they make the rules and have every right to decide how the game is played. But, one would think that if you have Accredited Photographers attending events or assignments, as a professional News outlet you should be aware of this, and you could maybe cull them afterwards. It would have been a more honorable approach.

 

Gerry Rousseau

 

 

Wow! This is ridiculous and beggars the question did Alamy think about their decision before implementing it? 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, everyone! 

 

Just one question - it's not possible to upload News photos also through "stock Photograph section" ? I mean editors don't accept that type of materials? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GintsIvuskans_photo said:

Hello, everyone! 

 

Just one question - it's not possible to upload News photos also through "stock Photograph section" ? I mean editors don't accept that type of materials? 

 

 

Live News pics go live within minutes whereas stock photos can take over 24 hours, which by that time the images would be classed as old news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2019 at 07:08, Colblimp said:

Live News pics go live within minutes whereas stock photos can take over 24 hours, which by that time the images would be classed as old news.

The other linked big difference is that the Alamy Live News team “pushes” live news photos out to picture desks.  Stock photos are “pulled” by picture desks etc searching for images.  

 

I tend to undertake a little marketing by tweeting etc my Alamy pictures.  As an example I tweeted one of my last year Alamy London Marathon pictures with the news I had accreditation for this years’ marathon. I used the London Marathon hashtag.   I immediately saw an increase in marathon search terms and some zooms for my marathon pictures from last year.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IanDavidson said:

 

I tend to undertake a little marketing by tweeting etc my Alamy pictures.  As an example I tweeted one of my last year Alamy London Marathon pictures with the news I had accreditation for this years’ marathon. I used the London Marathon hashtag.   I immediately saw an increase in marathon search terms and some zooms for my marathon pictures from last year.

Interesting.  I'll have to try that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

The other linked big difference is that the Alamy Live News team “pushes” live news photos out to picture desks.  Stock photos are “pulled” by picture desks etc searching for images.  

 

I tend to undertake a little marketing by tweeting etc my Alamy pictures.  As an example I tweeted one of my last year Alamy London Marathon pictures with the news I had accreditation for this years’ marathon. I used the London Marathon hashtag.   I immediately saw an increase in marathon search terms and some zooms for my marathon pictures from last year.

 

 

 

 

I tweet my current images in the news feed, never thought to use it for older events, cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some news...

 

A couple of days ago I had an email from Alamy about my application to submit Live News.

 

It said I had passed the first stage of the application process.

 

For me the second stage  involved pertinent feedback on my captions.  Nothing generic, this was specific to me.

 

I was then asked to submit a test example of a picture to ensure I complied with the Caption guidelines.

 

You may ask how many times I wrote, reworked, re-read and cross checked that caption. As I say, you may ask, but I'm not telling.

 

Shortly after I sent the test in  I received an email saying I could now submit to the News feed again. Thank you Alamy.

 

So if you are waiting for news about your news application, don't fret, things are moving in a focused manner. They have a lot to do, so lets sit back and let them get on with their process.

 

James

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I have some news...

 

A couple of days ago I had an email from Alamy about my application to submit Live News.

 

It said I had passed the first stage of the application process.

 

For me the second stage  involved pertinent feedback on my captions.  Nothing generic, this was specific to me.

 

I was then asked to submit a test example of a picture to ensure I complied with the Caption guidelines.

 

You may ask how many times I wrote, reworked, re-read and cross checked that caption. As I say, you may ask, but I'm not telling.

 

Shortly after I sent the test in  I received an email saying I could now submit to the News feed again. Thank you Alamy.

 

So if you are waiting for news about your news application, don't fret, things are moving in a focused manner. They have a lot to do, so lets sit back and let them get on with their process.

 

James

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the update Mr Standfast. 

It nice to hear that things are moving forward.

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

You may ask how many times I wrote, reworked, re-read and cross checked that caption. As I say, you may ask, but I'm not telling.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Your experience might help other applicants. But you must have your reasons for keeping it to yourself.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
Quote
7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Your experience might help other applicants. But you must have your reasons for keeping it to yourself.

 

I doubt knowing how many times he rewrote the caption before he decided he was happy with it would help anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bigjimh71 said:

I doubt knowing how many times he rewrote the caption before he decided he was happy with it would help anyone. 

Aargh, remembering to read a post properly would, though.

I thought he was talking about the details, sorry, OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.