On 16/04/2019 at 05:36, Gerry Rousseau said:

April 3, I had flown from Vancouver to Hong Kong, I had Accreditation from Alamy News to cover the HK Rugby 7's.

It wasn't all business of course, it was pleasure as well. It being my third time for this event being held at Hong Kong Stadium, which is such a wonderful venue, with a gorgeous backdrop and an incredible fan base, and I was looking forward to shooting the Sevens again.

April 4, the day before the event I received my letter as well. At first it took me by surprise, and I wasn't sure how to feel. Obviously any photos I took would not be going any further than my laptop. 

I have nothing bad to say about Alamy News, Jessica and the team ( not sure if she is still there or not, or who all the team consisted of) have always been good people to deal with.

What got to me, was the lack of professionalism on the part of whoever is there now, might be the same people, I don't know.

I am very aware that it is Alamy's game board and they make the rules and have every right to decide how the game is played. But, one would think that if you have Accredited Photographers attending events or assignments, as a professional News outlet you should be aware of this, and you could maybe cull them afterwards. It would have been a more honorable approach.

Gerry Rousseau

Wow! This is ridiculous and beggars the question did Alamy think about their decision before implementing it? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GintsIvuskans_photo said:

Hello, everyone! 

Just one question - it's not possible to upload News photos also through "stock Photograph section" ? I mean editors don't accept that type of materials? 

Live News pics go live within minutes whereas stock photos can take over 24 hours, which by that time the images would be classed as old news.

On 20/04/2019 at 07:08, Colblimp said:

Live News pics go live within minutes whereas stock photos can take over 24 hours, which by that time the images would be classed as old news.

The other linked big difference is that the Alamy Live News team “pushes” live news photos out to picture desks.  Stock photos are “pulled” by picture desks etc searching for images.  

I tend to undertake a little marketing by tweeting etc my Alamy pictures.  As an example I tweeted one of my last year Alamy London Marathon pictures with the news I had accreditation for this years’ marathon. I used the London Marathon hashtag.   I immediately saw an increase in marathon search terms and some zooms for my marathon pictures from last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanDavidson said:

I tend to undertake a little marketing by tweeting etc my Alamy pictures.  As an example I tweeted one of my last year Alamy London Marathon pictures with the news I had accreditation for this years’ marathon. I used the London Marathon hashtag.   I immediately saw an increase in marathon search terms and some zooms for my marathon pictures from last year.

Interesting.  I'll have to try that.

I have some news...

A couple of days ago I had an email from Alamy about my application to submit Live News.

It said I had passed the first stage of the application process.

For me the second stage  involved pertinent feedback on my captions.  Nothing generic, this was specific to me.

I was then asked to submit a test example of a picture to ensure I complied with the Caption guidelines.

You may ask how many times I wrote, reworked, re-read and cross checked that caption. As I say, you may ask, but I'm not telling.

Shortly after I sent the test in  I received an email saying I could now submit to the News feed again. Thank you Alamy.

So if you are waiting for news about your news application, don't fret, things are moving in a focused manner. They have a lot to do, so lets sit back and let them get on with their process.

James

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I have some news...

A couple of days ago I had an email from Alamy about my application to submit Live News.

It said I had passed the first stage of the application process.

For me the second stage  involved pertinent feedback on my captions.  Nothing generic, this was specific to me.

I was then asked to submit a test example of a picture to ensure I complied with the Caption guidelines.

You may ask how many times I wrote, reworked, re-read and cross checked that caption. As I say, you may ask, but I'm not telling.

Shortly after I sent the test in  I received an email saying I could now submit to the News feed again. Thank you Alamy.

So if you are waiting for news about your news application, don't fret, things are moving in a focused manner. They have a lot to do, so lets sit back and let them get on with their process.

James

Thanks for the update Mr Standfast. 

It nice to hear that things are moving forward.

Jim

54 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Your experience might help other applicants. But you must have your reasons for keeping it to yourself.

Edited by spacecadet

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Your experience might help other applicants. But you must have your reasons for keeping it to yourself.

I doubt knowing how many times he rewrote the caption before he decided he was happy with it would help anyone. 

1 minute ago, Bigjimh71 said:

I doubt knowing how many times he rewrote the caption before he decided he was happy with it would help anyone. 

Aargh, remembering to read a post properly would, though.

I thought he was talking about the details, sorry, OP.

7 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

At the risk of redsnapper disagreeing with me again, heaven forbid, take a look at T5B4TE . Are staged shots like this really live news material? Saleable yes but Live News?

It's live news because yesterday was St. George's Day and it's quirky enough for one of the tabloids to pick it up.  So yes, for me it's acceptable Live News.  In my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

At the risk of redsnapper disagreeing with me again, heaven forbid, take a look at T5B4TE . Are staged shots like this really live news material? Saleable yes but Live News?

Not to my own liking....and not something i'd  consider doing myself.....

km

I must stop looking at the news feed - it now irritates.

There is a circus somewhere in Pakistan,  a local road forum in China,  and a bomb scare in the US.  

However local UK news other than weather?  Nope.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

Hi I'm a minimal contributer but a bona-fide member of the press and I've been bumped of the live feed. Has this happened to anyone else and have you fought your corner and won? I took it quite personally because of the many years I have shooting press. I know not to send mediocre stuff but still I got the chop. Now I have to fill in a form (which I have yet to find) and then submit. It looks like the cull still has weather pictures and demonstrations which I was told was not news. Thoughts welcome. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, Gavin Crilly Photography said:

Hi I'm a minimal contributer but a bona-fide member of the press and I've been bumped of the live feed. Has this happened to anyone else and have you fought your corner and won? I took it quite personally because of the many years I have shooting press. I know not to send mediocre stuff but still I got the chop. Now I have to fill in a form (which I have yet to find) and then submit. It looks like the cull still has weather pictures and demonstrations which I was told was not news. Thoughts welcome. Thank you. 

In answer to your question, it has happened to quite a few someone elses who are bonafide members of the press and that includes people who were accredited to events by Alamy, travelled (with associated costs) and then got dumped unable to upload the photos they had been accredited to go and get.

You will find many examples on this thread - including some of the reapplication processes.

10 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

However local UK news other than weather?  Nope.

Not so. Tuesday morning, 6:35 am. I followed the police vans down the road to take the photos. There are other UK news stories too but I'm not going to do a detailed search as I'm not the one saying that there aren't any! Oh, and I was out an hour earlier to get weather pics, which is why I came across the story!

Edited by Keith Douglas
  • Like 1

Interesting twist.  I was at the Virgin Money London Marathon Elite Men’s photocall yesterday.  I took photos of Sir Mo Farah and a news story about him broke yesterday and pictures (don’t know if any of mine) are being used in the UK national papers and elsewhere.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Keith Douglas said:

Not so. Tuesday morning, 6:35 am. I followed the police vans down the road to take the photos. There are other UK news stories too but I'm not going to do a detailed search as I'm not the one saying that there aren't any! Oh, and I was out an hour earlier to get weather pics, which is why I came across the story!

At the point I looked at the newsfeed there were local stories from the US, local stories from China,  local stories from Pakistan, but no local stories from the UK (although there were 3 or lots of weather from the UK)

This is not getting at you - it is me trying to highlight that for a supposedly UK agency UK local news was sparse at a time they have cut off a number of skilled decent UK contributors (and no I am not talking about myself).  I am far more irritated at how others much better than I have been dumped - and the way they were dumped.  

I know where I am there is a regional daily paper as well as weekly locals and daily nationals (I am in the Western Daily Press area).  I have no idea whether other areas have a similar regional - maybe they don't and the reason that local news stuff does not sell in the UK is a market lack.  All I know is I would expect to see stories on serious road accidents, protests, significant planning applications from the UK on the newsfeed.  If a circus in Pakistan is news,  if a road forum in China is news are not the same things here news?  Yes I know it is about what sells - but if you tell me a circus in Pakistan sells I am going to be very doubtful.

Edit - when I say local news I mean local news that happens outside of London - London is well covered.

Edited by Starsphinx

• Alamy locked this topic