Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Starsphinxm commented on my suggestion that instead of resubmitting a live news photos as stock just to move it into standard QC. My thought was that sometimes a good live news photo might not be up to the quality that you would want for stock. If it is up to stock quality maybe even submitting at the same time with standard stock keywords etc. could work.

Not having it automaticly go into stock might prevent any misuse of Live News as a way of bypassing QC.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charles Stirling said:

Starsphinxm commented on my suggestion that instead of resubmitting a live news photos as stock just to move it into standard QC. My thought was that sometimes a good live news photo might not be up to the quality that you would want for stock. If it is up to stock quality maybe even submitting at the same time with standard stock keywords etc. could work.

Not having it automaticly go into stock might prevent any misuse of Live News as a way of bypassing QC.

Or give reviewers the option of "acceptable live news not fit for stock" on images submitted that way so those do not affect rankings but bad photos of ordinary subjects do

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The email I have received confirming my rejection after re-applying for Live News gives no indication whatsoever that Alamy are considering any other options. I fear  all the creative thinking in this thread on how to re-shape Live News is like the seed which fell on stony ground ☹️.

 

Tomorrow I am going to watch a whole load of steam excursions whizzing up and down the West Coast Main Line and areas round about. I'd love to upload some topical news pics but, hey-ho. I'll try not to be too jealous of those shooters who have the opportunity to get their pics in The Times (their picture editor likes steam trains).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching a current "soft news" story with interest. The Flying Scotsman, beloved of newspapers, today travelled from Dorset through Hampshire and Surrey to its next assignment. Despite a decision some time ago not to announce such trips - understandably, in order to prevent potentially dangerous trespass on the line - thousands turned out along the route to watch as she steamed past.

 

There are no images of the journey on Live News. I've submitted a few as stock - available on Tuesday at the earliest.

 

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure that at least one of the nationals will carry a picture as will a number of local publications en route (though probably sourced FOC), TV too.

 

As the lawyers say "cui bono" certainly neither Alamy ot their contributors.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Or give reviewers the option of "acceptable live news not fit for stock" on images submitted that way so those do not affect rankings but bad photos of ordinary subjects do

 

Why? They want Live News that is going to sell as News. Then it goes into Stock with the same quality warnings. But what we don't need is a get out for contributors who submit Stock via Live News to bypass QC. I saw one portfolio which was almost all submitted as 'Live News' but the vast majority of images were not News and the general quality was very poor, to put it mildly. Clearly someone gaming the system.

 

Just Keep it simple rather than making it complicated so that you can argue about it.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Just out of interest...

 

If Alamy had announced, say, that "in two weeks time we will be removing the LiveNews upload facilty from any contributor  who hasn't made X  [insert your own value here] LiveNews sales in the past 12 months",  how exactly would that have made any difference?

 

km

Of course it would have made a difference, we could all see the actual reasoning behind it and therefore may have thought, "ok they are right, I'll have to up my game, or assess what I do".

 

Whereas now, it's comes across as a ham fisted way of dealing with people who give them their living, obviously we all aren't giving as much as you, but in life, if you treat people with respect or give a good reason, before possibly upsetting them, then bad news is easier to take.

 

Most people weren't happy with the 20% decrease in commission from 50% down to 40%, but Alamy did give warning & then changed how they I implemented the decrease.

 

That's all they needed to do really, provide a reason and whilst everybody might not agree with being told that reason, most people can understand a genuine business decision.

 

I guess you probably know more about it and may have been consulted? As some have suggested, some of the Live News Feed was a bit pathetic as is some of the stock, so personally, I can also understand if the Alamy News Team were overwhelmed by a large amount of rubbish, or daft questions like we see on here, but as has been said, Alamy has been trying to grow, by inviting anyone via social media to join them, so some of that is their own fault, but if they have realised it isn't such a good idea, then that is also their prerogative, but explaining it to people who like yourself have invested lots of time and effort into  contributing, isn't a good idea for many of us.

 

 

Chris

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Clearly someone gaming the system.

 I see, because "someone" is gaming the system, everyone else has to pay the penalty.

 

Like your logic. I went to a school like that - 60 years ago!

Edited by Russell
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Ohhhhoooo this sounds like breaking news!

Intriguing....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Russell said:

I'm watching a current "soft news" story with interest. The Flying Scotsman, beloved of newspapers, today travelled from Dorset through Hampshire and Surrey to its next assignment. Despite a decision some time ago not to announce such trips - understandably, in order to prevent potentially dangerous trespass on the line - thousands turned out along the route to watch as she steamed past.

 

There are no images of the journey on Live News. I've submitted a few as stock - available on Tuesday at the earliest.

 

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure that at least one of the nationals will carry a picture as will a number of local publications en route (though probably sourced FOC), TV too.

 

As the lawyers say "cui bono" certainly neither Alamy ot their contributors.

 

 

There's a lot of photographers taking images of the Flying Scotsman and competition is fierce.

 

I had some success with Live News images around the time that the Flying Scotsman made its inaugural steam tour after its restoration - 25 Feb 2016.

 

By a long way, my highest $$$ seller on Alamy from that shoot was this one - make of that what you will. Although I have also sold pictures of Flying Scotsman itself from that time, both as news and stock, and also elsewhere (mainly POD).

 

Offord Cluny, Cambridgeshire, UK. 25th February, 2016. Train enthusiasts wait for the Flying Scotsman, but not always Stock Photo

 

Edited by Keith Douglas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

The email I have received confirming my rejection after re-applying for Live News gives no indication whatsoever that Alamy are considering any other options. I fear  all the creative thinking in this thread on how to re-shape Live News is like the seed which fell on stony ground ☹️.

 

Tomorrow I am going to watch a whole load of steam excursions whizzing up and down the West Coast Main Line and areas round about. I'd love to upload some topical news pics but, hey-ho. I'll try not to be too jealous of those shooters who have the opportunity to get their pics in The Times (their picture editor likes steam trains).

For what its worth in my investigations of a news agency I have been recommended too several times by different people it seems they are happy to have "citizen journalists" with accounts alongside pros and I believe they will do take things like steam trains.  They are to be found in the SouthWest of the country but cover nationwide.

Edited by Starsphinx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

For what its worth in my investigations of a news agency I have been recommended too several times by different people it seems they are happy to have "citizen journalists" with accounts alongside pros and I believe they will do take things like steam trains.  They are to be found in the SouthWest of the country but cover nationwide.

 

Yes, the grass is always greener, and the other agency is far more accommodating.

 

Back to the real world. I had seen that local professional photographers, who I had stood next to taking shots had been successful with another agency whereas my photos with Alamy didn't get taken. Surely my images were as good as theirs? A couple of weeks later I had a sunrise news story that I submitted to this other agency as a bit of a trial, and also to Alamy. The other agency, and Alamy were both keen. The image appeared in the National Press the next day via both agencies. They were good News images - the sales say that, not me.

A few months later I had another, but admittedly less compelling news story. I submitted it to the other agency. Heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement.

Yes, any agency will bite your hand off if you are offering them images that will make them money. But the idea that they're going to be any different to Alamy for anything less is fantasy.

 

However, and this comes back to the point I have made before, the important thing is to establish a track record and a history of delivery of news stories that will sell on a regular basis. That's what Alamy appear to be looking for and that's what any agency based in the South West, North East or anywhere else will be looking for too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keith Douglas said:

 

Yes, the grass is always greener, and the other agency is far more accommodating.

 

Back to the real world. I had seen that local professional photographers, who I had stood next to taking shots had been successful with another agency whereas my photos with Alamy didn't get taken. Surely my images were as good as theirs? A couple of weeks later I had a sunrise news story that I submitted to this other agency as a bit of a trial, and also to Alamy. The other agency, and Alamy were both keen. The image appeared in the National Press the next day via both agencies. They were good News images - the sales say that, not me.

A few months later I had another, but admittedly less compelling news story. I submitted it to the other agency. Heard nothing, not even an acknowledgement.

Yes, any agency will bite your hand off if you are offering them images that will make them money. But the idea that they're going to be any different to Alamy for anything less is fantasy.

 

However, and this comes back to the point I have made before, the important thing is to establish a track record and a history of delivery of news stories that will sell on a regular basis. That's what Alamy appear to be looking for and that's what any agency based in the South West, North East or anywhere else will be looking for too.

Oh, it is less that I expect them to make sell more or get higher prices or whatever because I don't - that as you say depends on the quality of the shots.  What I do believe they offer which I want is an open door people can upload to as and when.  Basically, like Live News was.  If that is the case - that people can apply to get access that then does not depend on them making a certain number of uploads or whatever then for some it will make more sense than here.  The fact that they are a totally different agency and specifically news orientated means they will not be facing the issues of Alamy Live news.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

There's a lot of photographers taking images of the Flying Scotsman and competition is fierce

 

So what? As with "gaming the system" you are again missing the point.

 

A few of those photographers would have submitted to Live News. As it is they cannot supply their customers with images to cover this story should they be required as they don't have any.

 

Alamy loses both revenue and reputation, their contributors lose a revenue opportunity. I'll translate - who benefits?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was annoyed to receive it since when they first started with reportage and then later with Live News, I was invited to submit - I even initially had to set up a second account so I had access (required by Alamy), that's how long ago it was.

 

The Live New team have been great to deal with over the years and even helped me get a press pass to an event in Connecticut where I didn't have contacts (in most other cases I was shooting for an editorial client or didn't need a press pass). Honestly I've done better licensing directly, even to small local papers, which may be due in large part to the fact that I'm in the US. A lot of my shots have sold as secondary editorial, but usually those that sold at the time of the event or disaster (fires, floods, hurricanes, snowstorms, political events) were due to my direct contacts. Still, I liked the idea of uploading to Live News to have the chance of going beyond my contacts. 

 

Of late, I have been guilty of submitting "Photo of the Day" type shots from my iPhone via S/Alamy Live News (and one just appeared in the "Have you Found Any Sales?" thread in March), so they are shots that I believe would have made the cut as stock anyway - and S/Alamy Live News is still picky about what they take since it's an edited collection. I don't know if that route is still open, although after reading more of the discussion, it may well be. 

 

I never shot that much hard news, mostly more lifestyle soft news stuff, and I haven't done any editorial photography assignment work this past year, so I'm not really sure if I'll bother applying, although given how many storms of the century I've lived through in the past 10 years, it would probably be a good idea to apply before hurricane season begins, since that is the kind of US weather that makes news in the UK. I live near the Clintons and New York's governor, and have taken photos of them for local magazines many times, but they are not on the top of the UK press' list at the moment. If I get back into doing more assignments that might have a wider range, I guess I could apply.  I probably would not have uploaded several of my shots that are still selling year later, if it wasn't for Live News, 

 

Disappointed because the Live New team have always seemed so responsive and on top of things, but I'm guessing they are not the ones who made this decision.

 

Edited by Marianne
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

To show the people to and fro,

 

To stock photography I must go,

 

Should news put on a show,

 

Then Alamy will never no.

 

To live by the the sea, and sell with glee.

 

Sadly, not for me.

 

 

I was going to write a load of twaddle about the benefits of soft news, problems with gaming the system, but the sun is shining, I'm going to go and point the fuji at something.

 

If you want me to never rhyme again please send a petition to Alamy asking to re-instate me. You should be up to 6 million signatures by tea time.

 

Am I miffed? Need you ask?

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

News?   

T42FTX

T42HJY 

 

Edited by Sultanpepa
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

News?   

T42FTX

T42HJY 

 

Fifth anniversary of a disaster that claimed 300 lives. ?

yes

 

 

km

 

 

really? marked down with two red arrows for suggesting that this picture was actually newsworthy......
 

Edited by RedSnapper
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Fifth anniversary of a disaster that claimed 300 lives. ?

yes

 

 

km

Not by Alamy's definition it's not. Quoting from their email to me....

 

"Remember, if you ever have breaking news pictures that were taken in the past hour, please apply for Breaking News via the news application form. (Please note – Every day weather, political marches or previously scheduled events are NOT breaking news)"

 

Not sure how to get Shuttersnitch to fill out the news application form either!

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Please note – Every day weather, political marches or previously scheduled events are NOT breaking news)"

 

Was this published any where? Other than the e-mail to Matt.

 

Without these submissions the Live news feed would be a bit empty.

 

The web page for sell Live News says....

  • Take photos of a news worthy event.
  • Weather is always in the news

    Whether (sorry) you like it or not, weather is ALWAYS of interest to the newspapers. They want images showing how cold it is, how hot it is, how dry it is, how flooded it is and how foggy it is where you are.

 

The consistency of our customer experience does not bare scrutiny. Please ALAMY get to grips with this before the story gets out.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Not by Alamy's definition it's not. Quoting from their email to me....

 

"Remember, if you ever have breaking news pictures that were taken in the past hour, please apply for Breaking News via the news application form. (Please note – Every day weather, political marches or previously scheduled events are NOT breaking news)"

 

Not sure how to get Shuttersnitch to fill out the news application form either!

I used to submit because there was the chance of a sale. No way am I going to invest any time and effort if there's only a chance of acceptance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I used to submit because there was the chance of a sale. No way am I going to invest any time and effort if there's only a chance of acceptance.

 

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Not by Alamy's definition it's not. Quoting from their email to me....

 

"Remember, if you ever have breaking news pictures that were taken in the past hour, please apply for Breaking News via the news application form. (Please note – Every day weather, political marches or previously scheduled events are NOT breaking news)"

 

Not sure how to get Shuttersnitch to fill out the news application form either!

 

19 hours ago, Keith Douglas said:

 

Why? They want Live News that is going to sell as News. Then it goes into Stock with the same quality warnings. But what we don't need is a get out for contributors who submit Stock via Live News to bypass QC. I saw one portfolio which was almost all submitted as 'Live News' but the vast majority of images were not News and the general quality was very poor, to put it mildly. Clearly someone gaming the system.

 

Just Keep it simple rather than making it complicated so that you can argue about it.

 

 

It seems to me, Alamy's decision is based on keeping existing large or perhaps daily contributors happy, seeing as some are being very vocal and quite happy at the cull of some decent photographers, Keith's image here, for example is a standard weather pic, in live news, which doesn't fit the latest criteria in your e-mail 

https://www.alamy.com/hest-bank-lancashire-uk-10-april-2019-uk-weather-clear-blue-sky-and-bright-sunshine-after-an-overnight-frost-as-a-dog-walker-makes-her-way-along-the-towpath-by-the-lancaster-canal-further-sunshine-is-forecast-for-the-rest-of-the-day-but-with-an-easterly-breeze-it-will-feel-cool-out-of-the-sunshine-credit-keith-douglas-newsalamy-live-news-image243199926.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=DD42514D-22C2-4757-9369-5E5B0DAE2C01&p=255400&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=12&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d12%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3d%26qt_raw%3d%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d0%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3dKeith%20Douglas%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3dGB%26cap%3d1%26cid%3dJGGF28K8JF24NBQXUK2NJDDKWVSPNE3A9DQF6UZZLWKNKF6SGJA8B7HSHJK5JU67%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d0%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0%26pl%3d

 

Has anyone who has re-applied actually been accepted yet? Also, is an average weather pic allowed, as long as it is taken within an hour?

 

Chris

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This email to Matt seems to suggest that they are saying that the bar is a lot higher for those below the cut. They seem to feel that they will have enough pictures of demonstrations, every day weather and previously scheduled events from the chosen ones but of course if you've got something really fantastic they are prepared to look at it. 

 

It looks as if those above the cut can carry on photographing every day weather, political demonstrations and previously scheduled events until the cows come home, and they can photograph the cows coming home as well.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

This email to Matt seems to suggest that they are saying that the bar is a lot higher for those below the cut. They seem to feel that they will have enough pictures of demonstrations, every day weather and previously scheduled events from the chosen ones but of course if you've got something really fantastic they are prepared to look at it. 

 

It looks as if those above the cut can carry on photographing every day weather, political demonstrations and previously scheduled events until the cows come home, and they can photograph the cows coming home as well. 

 

Seems to about sum it up.  Divide and rule.

  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, losdemas said:

 

Seems to about sum it up.  Divide and rule.

Which if true seems very unfair and just causes division, upset and acrimony.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just looked at around the alamy web site and saw this in the advert for customer service manager.

Just FYI

"Our values:

  • Put the customer first
  • Succeed (and fail) as a team
  • Strive for Better
  • Be Bold Be Brave
  • Do the right thing"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.