The more I look at it the angrier I become. Stockimo image N0113B gets preferential live news access over those of us denied access? dpa and zuma agencies have automatic live news access despite images being purely editorial in nature with limited descriptions. What gives Alamy?😡

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

The more I look at it the angrier I become. Stockimo image N0113B gets preferential live news access over those of us denied access?

Yes it’s odd that this person has Stockimo news access when she has only a handful of images......

km

• Upvote 3

How about if you redefine "News pictures" to be "Topical pictures"  ?   The papers need to fill their pages with topical images, a lot of which are seasonal.  It's not really news that the moon and sun are going to rise over St Michaels Mount on a certain day, or that there will be murmation of starlings in the winter around a well known pier, but it's topical and it makes a pleasant relief from the B word.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

How about if you redefine "News pictures" to be "Topical pictures"  ?   The papers need to fill their pages with topical images, a lot of which are seasonal.  It's not really news that the moon and sun are going to rise over St Michaels Mount on a certain day, or that there will be murmation of starlings in the winter around a well known pier, but it's topical and it makes a pleasant relief from the B word.

I agree. Well put.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Yes it’s odd that this person has Stockimo news access when she has only a handful of images......

km

Taken in the course of a couple of days.

But hey, maybe they've sold: They're all about Aberystwyth 😂

wim

edit: he/she has 12 more images on Stockimo, more or less the same as the news images. Could this be a test? Or is this the normal behavior of Stockimo News: duplicating the images?

Edited by wiskerke

the problem that I see is since I have never sold anything from Live News, only later as stock, i am unlikely to be selected, but that does not mean that tomorrow I won't be in a position to witness and photograph something of importance and be the only photographer there - their loss and mine too that I don't have a pass. 

• Upvote 3

I think I have come up with an idea that will work for the everyone. The Live news guys will be pleased to hear that they will  carry on as normal. The guys that have been dumped will have to send their images to live news to see if they want them or not. If they do want them and can sell them they will then pay the dumped guys a new rate of 60% to make up for the extra hassle !

PS just let me know if you need me solve any other world problems.

Cheers and gone 

Shergar

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AlessandraRC said:

the problem that I see is since I have never sold anything from Live News, only later as stock, i am unlikely to be selected, but that does not mean that tomorrow I won't be in a position to witness and photograph something of importance and be the only photographer there - their loss and mine too that I don't have a pass. 

Someone will be along to tell you that all you have to do is phone the Alamy Live news team - how easy it is and how helpful they are.

What nobody has yet told me is why in that situation I should phone Alamy Live news over any of the other agencies - or over going to new services direct.

With the option there I chose it over others.  With it removed Alamy will have to compete with all the other press agencies for any stuff I get.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Shergar said:

I think I have come up with an idea that will work for the everyone. The Live news guys will be pleased to hear that they will  carry on as normal. The guys that have been dumped will have to send their images to live news to see if they want them or not. If they do want them and can sell them they will then pay the dumped guys a new rate of 60% to make up for the extra hassle !

PS just let me know if you need me solve any other world problems.

Cheers and gone 

Shergar

Good idea but didn't you misstype? Surely you meant 100%??

• Like 1

On 10/04/2019 at 10:48, RedSnapper said:

For a news photographer, its always the right place  and always the right time......

km

But having discarded many of their potential or occasional news contributors, there will be many "right places" and "right times" where their remaining (regular) news contributors just aren't present. They may have their cameras with them, but they will be in the wrong place at the right time.

Mark

• Upvote 2

On 10/04/2019 at 11:38, Keith Douglas said:

It's not difficult really. If you've got a news story, get in touch with Alamy.

As I'm one of the ones whose News privileges Alamy have chosen to remove,  Alamy could well be the last agency I'd call if I happen on something very newsworthy.

Mark

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Someone will be along to tell you that all you have to do is phone the Alamy Live news team - how easy it is and how helpful they are.

What nobody has yet told me is why in that situation I should phone Alamy Live news over any of the other agencies - or over going to new services direct.

With the option there I chose it over others.  With it removed Alamy will have to compete with all the other press agencies for any stuff I get.

I'm sure that all the agencies and newspapers will be welcoming your images with "how much do you want, name your price". Good luck!

If you were an agency, which type of contributor would you build your business on:

1. The ones who claim to be good photographers, say they always have their camera ready and have been near to where the action is, and one day will come up with a scoop, but never actually deliver News images that sell?

or

2. The dedicated news photographers who will seek out news stories and images, can be relied on to be there, know what makes a good news picture, and regularly deliver images that sell?

I think you need to think about it from a business point of view, and not from your own, narrow perspective. Alamy is operating in a professional and competitive market. As contributors we should be operating as professionals, whether we are full time professionals or enthusiastic amateurs or somewhere in between.  To expect access as a right without delivering the results is not what this business needs, either in terms of administrative burden or damage to its reputation by being seen to deliver sub-standard work that doesn't meet what the Clients want. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I am not seeing much about the route to competence I am seeing people who occasionally in the course of their normal activities come across full on newsworthy stuff and who are rather peeved at having had the place they would have sent it denied to them.  I am not a news photographer - nor would I want to focus on that.  However, due to the things I do do, I actually come across actual news more frequently than Joe Public - say 5 or 6 times a year.  Now I am (I believe) competent with a camera, I read and understood the stuff on captioning headlining etc and complied with Alamys requirements.  The fact that I did not and do not chase stories and send in multiple news stuff day in day out does not detract from what I did send in and does not detract from what I will take in future.  There are numerous others in similar situations - who get stuff a few times a year and want to be able to do something with it, who have done absolutely nothing wrong, and who have been dropped without so much as a bye the bye.   I do not see anyone arguing about separating news and stock or adding in a soft news area I see people arguing about not being given any notice or warning and that the way the decisions on who to drop appear to have been made is far from the best way to make that decision.

Ditto!

Mark

1 hour ago, Shergar said:

The Live news guys will be pleased to hear that they will  carry on as normal. 

Initially it will be good for them (less competition from within Alamy). But what happens when News desks come to realise the "breadth" of Alamy's news coverage has reduced significantly, won't they start sourcing images elsewhere? Then it won't be so good.

Mark

16 minutes ago, Keith Douglas said:

If you were an agency, which type of contributor would you build your business on:

1. The ones who claim to be good photographers, say they always have their camera ready and have been near to where the action is, and one day will come up with a scoop, but never actually deliver News images that sell?

I didn't claim to be anything. I was offered a facility which I used several times. Alamy then took it away without telling me. I did nothing wrong except fail to meet criteria I didn't know existed and which I was never told about.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I didn't claim to be anything. I was offered a facility which I used several times. Alamy then took it away without telling me. I did nothing wrong except fail to meet criteria I didn't know existed and which I was never told about.

This - exactly this.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I didn't say you did claim to be anything.

It may not have been handled very well, but Alamy did tell you and took it away. They just didn't give you advance notice.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Keith Douglas said:

I'm sure that all the agencies and newspapers will be welcoming your images with "how much do you want, name your price". Good luck!

or

2. The dedicated news photographers who will seek out news stories and images, can be relied on to be there, know what makes a good news picture, and regularly deliver images that sell?

I think you need to think about it from a business point of view, and not from your own, narrow perspective. Alamy is operating in a professional and competitive market. As contributors we should be operating as professionals, whether we are full time professionals or enthusiastic amateurs or somewhere in between.  To expect access as a right without delivering the results is not what this business needs, either in terms of administrative burden or damage to its reputation by being seen to deliver sub-standard work that doesn't meet what the Clients want. 

Good words.  The way Alamy did this was appalling, but I can see why it was done.  I guess if the news pics are clogging the feed and aren't selling then there's only one option...

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Good words.  The way Alamy did this was appalling, but I can see why it was done.  I guess if the news pics are clogging the feed and aren't selling then there's only one option...

The news team seem to finish at 9:30 and no one is tidying the news page over night. It's a mess in the morning, clogged with multiple headline uploads etc. I don't envy them. Still no excuse  for the disrespect shown to contributors though.

Edited by Mr Standfast
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Still no excuse  for the disrespect shown to contributors though.

Which is why I said The way Alamy did this was appalling

• Upvote 1

Favourite picture today.....lady with the pram.

27 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Which is why I said The way Alamy did this was appalling

and it deserves repeating until such time as we get an apology. Not holding my breath. Good night all.

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Oh I would be able to see why it was done - IF it had been done which looking at the newsfeed it has not.

Are we seriously suggesting that the problem is *quote* The ones who claim to be good photographers, say they always have their camera ready and have been near to where the action is, and one day will come up with a scoop, but never actually deliver News images that sell?*unquote but who upload within an hour, properly caption and headline and follow the guidelines to the letter while the ones uploading deer in a field, boats sailing etc are fine?

There are too many people who did absolutely nothing wrong - who carefully decided what to upload as live news and what to upload as stock, who checked and double checked they were getting the IPTC fields correct and who presented damn good images of, yes, news, but who unfortunately did not see their story picked up who have been dumped while others carry on uploading and presenting "pear blossoms in China" as news.

If the culling had been done on the basis of who had followed guidelines about stuff actually being news there would be far less complaining but when people who followed the guidelines have been dropped but can still see images that are not news on the feed they are going to be miffed. Word to the wise if you are going to pull off something guaranteed to upset people it is a good idea to make sure it is seen to be doing what you claim it is for.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

Oh I would be able to see why it was done - IF it had been done which looking at the newsfeed it has not.

Are we seriously suggesting that the problem is *quote* The ones who claim to be good photographers, say they always have their camera ready and have been near to where the action is, and one day will come up with a scoop, but never actually deliver News images that sell?*unquote but who upload within an hour, properly caption and headline and follow the guidelines to the letter while the ones uploading deer in a field, boats sailing etc are fine?

There are too many people who did absolutely nothing wrong - who carefully decided what to upload as live news and what to upload as stock, who checked and double checked they were getting the IPTC fields correct and who presented damn good images of, yes, news, but who unfortunately did not see their story picked up who have been dumped while others carry on uploading and presenting "pear blossoms in China" as news.

If the culling had been done on the basis of who had followed guidelines about stuff actually being news there would be far less complaining but when people who followed the guidelines have been dropped but can still see images that are not news on the feed they are going to be miffed. Word to the wise if you are going to pull off something guaranteed to upset people it is a good idea to make sure it is seen to be doing what you claim it is for.  

You're missing the point.  Alamy doesn't care what the subject of the picture is, the IPTC fields, or whatever.  All Alamy cares about is sales.  If deer in a field, sailing boats, pear blossoms in China etc sell, Alamy will keep those contribs as news people.  If someone consistently uploads news images which don't sell, Alamy will get rid, which is what it has done.  It may be harsh, but that's the reality of business.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

You're missing the point.  Alamy doesn't care what the subject of the picture is, the IPTC fields, or whatever.  All Alamy cares about is sales.  If deer in a field, sailing boats, pear blossoms in China etc sell, Alamy will keep those contribs as news people.  If someone consistently uploads news images which don't sell, Alamy will get rid, which is what it has done.  It may be harsh, but that's the reality of business.

So do you think this culling of photographers will spill over into regular stock? If your opinion  is right  for news then I guess it would be right for regular stock. What do you think?? Are those that don't make regular sells  going to get an e-mail .

Edited by Shergar