Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Not when Alamy put your sub on their Twitterfeed, as they did with one of mine.

Did it sell as News?

Edited by Keith Douglas

18 minutes ago, Keith Douglas said:

Did it sell as News?

No.

That's not my point. It was "soft" news and Alamy promoted it so presumably they thought it worth the candle. They won't get its like from me again, I just won't bother.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

No.

That's not my point. It was "soft" news and Alamy promoted it so presumably they thought it worth the candle. They won't get its like from me again, I just won't bother.

But that is the point that is relevant. 

It's not about focusing on one image or one occurrence though. Over a reasonable period and over many submissions is the contributor achieving a good return of News sales? That's what I would measure, although I'm not getting drawn into the definitions of "reasonable period",  "many submissions", "good return" etc. (I'll leave that to Alamy).  If the answer is no, but the images are selling later as Stock, then submitting them as Stock seems to be a more appropriate submission route. Particularly now that the QC turnaround time is now typically less than 24 hours.

Edited by Keith Douglas
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Keith Douglas said:

But that is the point that is relevant. 

It's not about focusing on one image or one occurrence though. Over a reasonable period and over many submissions is the contributor achieving a good return of News sales? That's what I would measure, although I'm not getting drawn into the definitions of "reasonable period",  "many submissions", "good return" etc. (I'll leave that to Alamy).  If the answer is no, but the images are selling later as Stock, then submitting them as Stock seems to be a more appropriate submission route. 

Everything I ever sent was at least topical, and I'm sure that's true of all the aggrieved contributors (I should say former contributors) here as well.

None would have been "more appropriate" as stock.

Edited by spacecadet

Just now, spacecadet said:

Everything I ever sent was at least topical, and I'm sure that's true of all the aggrieved contributors (I should say former contributors) here as well.

I'm sure it was all topical. But did you make regular News sales from your Live News submissions? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Keith Douglas said:

did you make regular News sales from your Live News submissions?  

this is the crucial point.......as far as i can see, all of the LiveNews photographers whose names frequently appeared in the 'have you found...' threads are still active and submitting images....
To name but a few off the top of my head, Simon Maycock, Chris Strickland, Carolyn Jenkins, Ed Brown, Cernan Elias/MWI, Guy Corbishley, Andrew Bartlett, Ian Jones, DGI Images, etc etc

To get, say, 5 pictures published in 12 months, would not be an unreasonable thing to expect of anyone wishing to describe themselves as a news photographer.....

km

Edited by RedSnapper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

But why also punish people who only made a rare upload to Live News, because they only did so when they had something that they thought might be of interest?  I assume the purpose of the exercise was to reduce the number of submissions.

Personally I haven't been able to upload much recently, due to other things going on in my life (yes, I'm an amateur!) but I always wanted to expand my photography and I'm grateful to Alamy for giving me that chance.  Just sad that one avenue has suddenly and unexpectedly been closed when I'm on the verge of starting in earnest.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

• Upvote 1

There seem to be an awful lot of very non-news images from dpa contributors appearing in the live news feed. Is this usual or is something new going on?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sally said:

There seem to be an awful lot of very non-news images from dpa contributors appearing in the live news feed. Is this usual or is something new going on?

If anything deserves to go straight into stock it's those. I wonder if they'll still be there tomorrow

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry, not trying to get a dig in here, full respect to the photographer, just amused:

Blackout in Caracacus, Venezuela:

https://www.alamy.com/news/newsresults.aspx#BHM=foo%3Dbar%26qt%3D%26pn%3D1%26ps%3D120%26aoa%3D%26news%3D1%26sports%3D%26entmt%3D%26Videos%3D%26bb%3D1%26md%3DOL8026427%26dt%3D%26gid%3D{230FD316-C777-4664-BD88-E0773DF37B58}%26destxml%3D%26imglst%3D%26orderby%3DDT%26newsseq%3D%26userid%3D{83C2C740-21CF-42C2-8501-E7AF31BF2B04}%26rand%3D1554878434499

It's a news item for sure but will it make the front page? 

Actually I can see that to see Caracus with no lights is an extraordinary, unrepeatable event so may well make the front page in that region. 

Edited by Harry Harrison
Edit

14 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Sorry, not trying to get a dig in here, full respect to the photographer, just amused:

Blackout in Caracacus, Venezuela:

https://www.alamy.com/news/newsresults.aspx#BHM=foo%3Dbar%26qt%3D%26pn%3D1%26ps%3D120%26aoa%3D%26news%3D1%26sports%3D%26entmt%3D%26Videos%3D%26bb%3D1%26md%3DOL8026427%26dt%3D%26gid%3D{230FD316-C777-4664-BD88-E0773DF37B58}%26destxml%3D%26imglst%3D%26orderby%3DDT%26newsseq%3D%26userid%3D{83C2C740-21CF-42C2-8501-E7AF31BF2B04}%26rand%3D1554878434499

It's a news item for sure but will it make the front page? 

Actually I can see that to see Caracus with no lights is an extraordinary, unrepeatable event so may well make the front page in that region. 

Caracacus?? Caracus?? I'm in the dark as to this town. LOL.

12 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

To get, say, 5 pictures published in 12 months, would not be an unreasonable thing to expect of anyone wishing to describe themselves as a news photographer.....

km

It's quite reassuring (and I mean that in a positive way) to hear you say that level - speaking as one who is awaiting the 'appeal' process.

12 hours ago, Sue Norwood said:

Everyone has to start somewhere.

I Started Live News 17 months ago, they kept me on for which I am grateful as I would never have had the opportunity elsewhere.

With 86 live news sales in that time I would have been very disappointed if they had gotten rid of me.

I'm sure the path is still there, I guess you have to demonstrate your worthiness, willingness, commitment? If you know what I mean.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I Started Live News 17 months ago, they kept me on for which I am grateful as I would never have had the opportunity elsewhere.

With 86 live news sales in that time I would have been very disappointed if they had gotten rid of me.

I'm sure the path is still there, I guess you have to demonstrate your worthiness, willingness, commitment? If you know what I mean.

86 sales in 17 months?  Oh my, that's good.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

86 sales in 17 months?  Oh my, that's good.

Is it? I have nobody to judge against, It seems poor to me!

14 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Is it? I have nobody to judge against, It seems poor to me!

I only have around 50 in 12 months.  I think it's very good.

13 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

this is the crucial point.......as far as i can see, all of the LiveNews photographers whose names frequently appeared in the 'have you found...' threads are still active and submitting images....
To name but a few off the top of my head, Simon Maycock, Chris Strickland, Carolyn Jenkins, Ed Brown, Cernan Elias/MWI, Guy Corbishley, Andrew Bartlett, Ian Jones, DGI Images, etc etc

km

Only started with Alamy last year and managed 6 published between August and end of December (mainly Irish Sun I think). Hopefully your math will help with my re application then Keith.😯

I think the point a lot of us "non-news" photographers are trying to make is that while we do not focus on or deliberately go after news sometimes we are in the right place at the right time (like I was in a pub when it caught fire - only of local interest but still) and up until now we have had a good easy portal to get such images where they should be where they are likely to be seen by editors.

That portal has been closed without notice and without giving us the opportunity to give consideration to our workflow BEFORE the change.

Just because someone only submitted to live news once in a blue moon - and maybe did not sell there - is not a comment on their ability as a photographer or the quality and newsworthiness of their shots and I do believe that Alamy themselves are going to lose out because of the way they have handled this.

For a start, the problem with the use of live news to avoid QC or load non-newsy images is going to show the opposite of infrequent uploading (as is seen on the live news feed).  People using live news incorrectly will be uploading frequently - and it is easy to imagine that IF the culling has been done by automatic code that some offenders will have kept their privileges because they upload their frequently.

Live News is not, cannot be, only a numbers game - and to get the kind of feed that contributors and customers want is going to take more than a blunt axe removal of the majority of contributors.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

we are in the right place at the right time

For a news photographer, its always the right place  and always the right time......

km

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have only submitted once to live news so the decision is of no real consequence to me.

But god forbid I could walk out of my door tomorrow and witness an event on national importance, how could I then submit images if that route has been closed to me.

Once again Alamy has thrown the baby out with the bath water.

I have seen images of a bird sitting on a garden fence masquerading as weather news images, so I can understand why Alamy need to tighten up, but why do they treat the responsible contributors that don't upload unless they think they really do have a news item the same as the ones that upload anything that remotely can (questionably) be called a weather image.

To me this is just another sign of the disdain with which Alamy treats its contributors and re-enforces my decision to gradually turn away from Alamy, the company that used to be fair  to its contributors.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I only have around 50 in 12 months.  I think it's very good.

Cheers, good to know.

13 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

For a news photographer, its always the right place  and always the right time......

km

That is my point - many of us are not news photographers - but we are photographers and sometimes we are in the right place at the right time (and there is no actual news photographer).   What should we do with the images we get if we are in the right place at the right time?  Just like Joe Bloggs, we could contact editors directly (many if not all national newspapers have well visible "contact us with a story" information ) or, until last week, we could work with an agency we were familiar with and trusted - we could come in and send news images to Alamy.  For many ordinary stock photographers that is going to be the first thing that comes into their mind - I can send these to where I already sell.  Not only have Alamy removed that option but they have done so in a way that has rubbed people the wrong way and resulted in them looking to see if there are other options besides contacting editors direct - and the bad news for Alamy is there are indeed other options.

• Upvote 4