I set off in the early hours of tomorrow morning to cover a motorsports event that I've had live news success from in recent years (had one in the Telegraph from a similar event last month). Plus a few 'weather' photos from time to time. But news permissions have been withdrawn for me as well and although I've re-applied I haven't had a response back yet so tomorrow will be a waste of my time from an Alamy point of view other than general stock. I'll have to look at selling news direct in future if I can. Mainly disappointed in Alamy's general approach to these things - no warning, just dump you. Pity.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Gary Clarke said:

no warning, just dump you

That's probably the most disappointing thing about it, we make plans (I was as well) that are simply thwarted, as yours are. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't have given notice of the change, unprofessional in my view.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

My understanding is that Stockimo News is unaffected by this change and still active.

I can no longer submit to Alamy Live News via the Stockimo App. Guess my super bloom wildflowers at Joshua Tree didn’t sell, but my blood moon photo did. :(

Maybe the Alamy live news team can say why there aren't any alamy images in any of these picture of the day publications?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/gallery/2019/apr/05/grave-sweeping-day-and-a-gold-coast-cutback-fridays-top-photos

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/05/pictures-day-5-april-2019/view-electricity-wires-caracas-venezuela-west-venezuela-started/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/best-pictures-of-the-day-a3648561.html

To boot out photographers isn't going to improve sales. Get your sales team to do what the other sales teams manage to do day after day.

"My chimp just laughed out loud when I told him what Alamy Live News just did"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/21/pictures-day-21-june-2017/hot-sunny-day-whipsnade-zoo-chimps-given-frozen-fruit-ice-tea/

Parm

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Lisa said:

I can no longer submit to Alamy Live News via the Stockimo App. Guess my super bloom wildflowers at Joshua Tree didn’t sell, but my blood moon photo did. :(

Hey Lisa 

I got up Wednesday morning with the idea to shoot the super-bloom  at the Carrizo plain Wednesday and Thursday morning,  then get back in time to upload to live news from home Thursday lunchtime, it's about a 400 mile round trip.  In my mind it wasn't breaking news that needed to be uploaded within an hour buttttt I thought that the images might work for some Sunday newspaper/site somewhere in the world this weekend. Well at 1.30 am as I slept like a baby in my truck at the top of the Caliente mountain ridge the e-mail of doom arrived and kind of put an end to that idea. I ended up staying longer but still got home for 4pm. Here are the photos I had planned to send to live news that will now get uploaded sometime this weekend for QC to check Monday at the earliest perhaps go live Tuesday if Im lucky . Not the end of the world but the wildflowers will only last another week or 2 at the most. I heard Joshua tree was busy. 

Any live news guys like to offer any advice about what I should or should not have done I would appreciate it as long as you don't use any bad language, I get enough of that at home.

https://www.selbyphotography.com/News-alamy/

Best Wishes

Shergar 

11 hours ago, Graham said:

Alamy are not unreasonable about this.  I am an occasional Live News contributor and I know I have sold at least one the next day as a direct consequence (as a result of the vigilance of some kind soul in one of the "Have you found any images in..." thread).

Yesterday evening I was coming home over London Bridge and by chance came across a protest by minicab drivers against Sadiq Khan and the imposition of the congestion change on minicabs.  I always have a camera with me and I enthusiastically snapped 100 or so pictures of what was going on, and headed for my train home with great anticipation, planning to upload some to Live News.  It takes me nearly 2 hours to get home, and as I was uploading the pictures to my computer, I checked my emails - what a day to find the notification from Alamy that Live News uploads were no longer possible!

A quick call to Alamy resulted in the suggestion that I email Live News with a sample picture, which I did.  They came back shortly afterwards and temporarily restored my Live News upload capability, as a result of which I was able to upload 19 images.  The images were up about 4 hours after they were taken. 

I will be looking later today to see whether any of them made the newspapers.  So far as I can see, there were no other Live News uploads covering the same subject yesterday (although there have been similar previous protests, which may mean that newspapers are less inclined to cover a repeat event).

Come what may, Alamy were certainly not dogmatic about this and found a way to help when there was an immediate and genuine Live News type event.

Graham

Pleased you had a good outcome Graham. I was emailed today to say that accreditation will be still be given when asked for but how do I send in pictures if accredited to an event? Do they open up the Live News feed to me for the event only? 

19 hours ago, AndrewP said:

It seems that Alamy has 2 types of Live News shooter - the ones who submit regularly and make regular sales and the ones like myself who submit occasionally and make occasional sales. I’m still deciding if it’s worth reapplying and my main reason in doing so would be for those times when I’m in the right place at the right time for something newsworthy. Things like a landmark building in snow, a spectacular sunset, a building fire etc. Previously Alamy have tweeted requests for photos of a breaking news story in a particular location but presumably they will now just email the ones they know have upload privileges.

Three types, people who submit news occasionally and don't sell anything as news. 

To get the most compelling pictures where I am (Nicaragua), I'd need to be in Managua and probably take chances that I'm somewhat less willing to take.   I got the letter that I was dropped but could reapply.  Since none of my news submission sold as either news or stock, this isn't huge for me.   I'm not in Managua, and I've seen some excellent shots taken by other Alamy contributors who are there.   Some photos were posted to a Nicaraguan pro photography FB group that were stunning and had other local pros hoping the photographer could stay safe.

If Alamy is hand selling news photos as quickly out of the cameras as possible, then photographs that don't serve waste their time.  None of mine sold.   Shrug.  Some people have been complaining that while their news photos didn't sell as news, they did sell later as stock.  So, for those photos, maybe stock rather than news was the way to go.   We have more time to edit, more time to pick shots that aren't just of the moment.

Maybe Alamy is trying to cut down time taken looking at photos that aren't news that needs to get to the buyers in the next 15 minutes. 

A tip for Berlin Photographers who still have news privileges...probably excess info but may be useful to someone

• big protest at Alexanderplatz at midday re high rents
  • President Obama is in town - staying at the Adlon and speaking to students at 3,30pm (schlossplatz)

Good luck,

Eden

Edit: Oh dear that sounded as if I was gloating,

but was merely trying to be helpful as I can no longer submit to live news

Edited by Eden
corrected
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lisa said:

The Live News button from my S app disappeared yesterday, I even re downloaded it but it was still gone, today it is back!

13 hours ago, Bhandol said:

Maybe the Alamy live news team can say why there aren't any alamy images in any of these picture of the day publications?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/gallery/2019/apr/05/grave-sweeping-day-and-a-gold-coast-cutback-fridays-top-photos

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/05/pictures-day-5-april-2019/view-electricity-wires-caracas-venezuela-west-venezuela-started/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/best-pictures-of-the-day-a3648561.html

To boot out photographers isn't going to improve sales. Get your sales team to do what the other sales teams manage to do day after day.

"My chimp just laughed out loud when I told him what Alamy Live News just did"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/21/pictures-day-21-june-2017/hot-sunny-day-whipsnade-zoo-chimps-given-frozen-fruit-ice-tea/

Parm

To be fair to Alamy (and I often criticise) - they do feature in the pic-of-the-day galleries quite regularly, actually, given the size and geographic limitations of the agency. There are two in the Times Online gallery today, even if they're the cute-dog-and-sunset variety Alamy are famed for. (one's opinions on the ever-repeated use of the very same dogs/sunset location can differ, but they are feeding a demand, having created the demand in the first place) Although, given the choice, I'd rather take a small print over the online pic-of-day galleries (grateful for either, obvs), because online pays less. And half the time, the publications don't put the tog credit in. Frankly, it's barely worth it financially and will likely only get worse in the next few years. 

You cannot compare the reach, manpower and size of operation of the big wires like Reuters, PA, AFP, AP, or compete with them directly, especially not on breaking news. Unless you happen to be the only one there, they'll always win because their togs file directly from camera and often don't need to caption/edit the image prior to filing.

Edited by imageplotter
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

To be fair to Alamy (and I often criticise) - they do feature in the pic-of-the-day galleries quite regularly, actually, given the size and geographic limitations of the agency. There are two in the Times Online gallery today, even if they're the cute-dog-and-sunset variety Alamy are famed for. (one's opinions on the ever-repeated use of the very same dogs/sunset location can differ, but they are feeding a demand, having created the demand in the first place) Although, given the choice, I'd rather take a small print over the online pic-of-day galleries (grateful for either, obvs), because online pays less. And half the time, the publications don't put the tog credit in. Frankly, it's barely worth it financially and will likely only get worse in the next few years. 

You cannot compare the reach, manpower and size of operation of the big wires like Reuters, PA, AFP, AP, or compete with them directly, especially not on breaking news. Unless you happen to be the only one there, they'll always win because their togs file directly from camera and often don't need to caption/edit the image prior to filing.

There is also the issue of information/access.   The agencies get automatic access to information and events while freelancers have to fight to get on mailing lisits and then fight again to get access to events, because we are at the bottom of the feeding chain.    Thus we have to stand around for hours in Downing Street or College Green waiting while the wires turn up just in time for the appearance.  Having said that the vast majority of the wire photographers are good people and very generous with information (in my early days in Westminster news photography I used to follow camera crews around!).   So, it is not a level playing field, but that is part of the fun...

• Like 3

I can't help but feel that Alamy have just set fire to the bottom rung of the ladder for budding news image suppliers. Those above it can climb out of reach but those of us who were prepared to climb will now have to find somewhere else to do it.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

I can't help but feel that Alamy have just set fire to the bottom rung of the ladder for budding news image suppliers. Those above it can climb out of reach but those of us who were prepared to climb will now have to find somewhere else to do it.

This is true. I would never have progressed to where I am now without the open live news option to give me a start.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sally said:

This is true. I would never have progressed to where I am now without the open live news option to give me a start.

I guess this is a no starter for Alamy Students now .

8 hours ago, Andi said:

The Live News button from my S app disappeared yesterday, I even re downloaded it but it was still gone, today it is back!

Still not appearing on mine, but I'm over it. Regular S App still 'sparks joy'.

20 hours ago, Shergar said:

Hey Lisa 

I got up Wednesday morning with the idea to shoot the super-bloom  at the Carrizo plain Wednesday and Thursday morning,  then get back in time to upload to live news from home Thursday lunchtime, it's about a 400 mile round trip.  In my mind it wasn't breaking news that needed to be uploaded within an hour buttttt I thought that the images might work for some Sunday newspaper/site somewhere in the world this weekend. Well at 1.30 am as I slept like a baby in my truck at the top of the Caliente mountain ridge the e-mail of doom arrived and kind of put an end to that idea. I ended up staying longer but still got home for 4pm. Here are the photos I had planned to send to live news that will now get uploaded sometime this weekend for QC to check Monday at the earliest perhaps go live Tuesday if Im lucky . Not the end of the world but the wildflowers will only last another week or 2 at the most. I heard Joshua tree was busy. 

Any live news guys like to offer any advice about what I should or should not have done I would appreciate it as long as you don't use any bad language, I get enough of that at home.

https://www.selbyphotography.com/News-alamy/

Best Wishes

Shergar 

Wow, what a year for wildflowers!

My website:

http://lisawernerphotos.blogspot.com

Edited by Lisa
Added a link to my photography blog.
  • Like 1

with a smile...had a look at recent live news,

I think Germany and France have become totally non-newsworthy,

Fortunately Italy & Spain are there to represent Europe so not a Brexit issue ;-)

Have a good Sunday all,

Eden

I wonder if this whole process is a way of reducing the amount of less than perfect images that will end up as stock. A lot of live news images couldnt be submitted as stock images as in many instances simply wouldnt be good enough. 

1 hour ago, Penelope B said:

I wonder if this whole process is a way of reducing the amount of less than perfect images that will end up as stock. A lot of live news images couldnt be submitted as stock images as in many instances simply wouldnt be good enough. 

Pen, we've all seen borderline or non news images in the live news feed, and nothing is usually done to remove them. In recent days I saw around 5 'news' images that were either grossly underexposed, with 2 that looked as if they had been shot with the lens cap on. This was after Alamy's emails were sent out removing access to live news uploads.

I've had my live news access removed. In the short time I've been with Alamy I've uploaded over 2000 live news images. I believe all would have passed QC for stock, I check at 200% on a retina screen.

I will be applying for live news access, but note that very few users of this forum that have applied have reported that they had a reply from Alamy. This doesn't take account of those not active on this forum though. I'm in the process of sorting out my portfolio and tear sheets. With reference to "Do you have breaking news images which have been taken in the past hour", has anyone said yes and had a quick response back? My dilemma would be how long to wait before sending elsewhere, was thinking 15 minutes max.

Now back to my decorating, I hate it, and a coffee.

2 hours ago, Penelope B said:

If that is the case then why is the live fee still full of the same less than perfect images as you put it. :)

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Pen, we've all seen borderline or non news images in the live news feed, and nothing is usually done to remove them. In recent days I saw around 5 'news' images that were either grossly underexposed, with 2 that looked as if they had been shot with the lens cap on. This was after Alamy's emails were sent out removing access to live news uploads.

I've had my live news access removed. In the short time I've been with Alamy I've uploaded over 2000 live news images. I believe all would have passed QC for stock, I check at 200% on a retina screen.

I will be applying for live news access, but note that very few users of this forum that have applied have reported that they had a reply from Alamy. This doesn't take account of those not active on this forum though. I'm in the process of sorting out my portfolio and tear sheets. With reference to "Do you have breaking news images which have been taken in the past hour", has anyone said yes and had a quick response back? My dilemma would be how long to wait before sending elsewhere, was thinking 15 minutes max.

Now back to my decorating, I hate it, and a coffee.

I applied and all I got back was, " we will take all your comments on board" lolwil

19 minutes ago, N Quarmby said:

If that is the case then why is the live fee still full of the same less than perfect images as you put it. :)

I wasnt being critical of anyones pictures, far from it.  ✌️

• Alamy locked this topic