How was your 2018

2018 was my best year yet, by a long shot.  I managed 82 sales for $3,680 gross, which I'm very pleased with, considering my small port.  As a comparison, 2017 was 39 sales for $1,368 gross and 2016, my first year, was 5 for $346 gross. 

In terms of price per image - average price in:

2018 - $45

2017 - $35

2016 - $69 (had a big $$$)

I uploaded 1,176 pics in 2018, I'm aiming to get to 4,000 in my port by the end of this year so I need to do around 1,600, which I should be able to manage.

Onwards and upwards!

2nd best year ever for sale numbers in 2018 (160); best 2017 (163)

2nd best year ever for income in 2018 ($4,520); best 2015 ($4,821, but skewed with $$$$ sale ). 2017 income was $3,909.

Sales down nearly -2% on 2017, but income up +16%.

Images added in 2018, 1354 (a record number) meaning I increased my portfolio by 15%.

Average price for an image sold in 2017 - $24; 2018 - $28.

CTR, views and zooms generally all way down on last year. 

Happy New Year to you all! Here's to a good 2019!!

John.

(Copied from other thread)

Here's some stats which may be of interest to the more OCD challenged of you (ie. like me) - in terms of Image sales according to their age on Alamy for this year:

A images (ie images whose 6 digit identification starts with A)

A images make up 10.8% of my collection, but only accounted for 2% of sales in 2018

B images: 17.3% of the collection, made up 15.6% of sales

C images: 18% of the collection, made up 24.6% of sales

D images 12.5% of the collection but accounted for 22% of the sales

E images make up 8.8% of the collection and accounted for 14.2% of sales

F images  account for 4.2% of the collection and 8% of sales

G images make up 3.4% of my collection and accounted for 3.1% of sales

H images make up 5% of collection and account for 3.1% of sales

J images are 2.16% of the collection and accounted for 1.52% of sales

K images are 4.12% of the collection and accounted for 1.3% of sales

M images make up 4.15% of my collection and accounted for 2.8% of sales

P images make up 2.48% of the collection and accounted for 0.5% of sales

R images (the present initial letter) make up 1.41% of the collection and accounted for 0 (0%) of sales

Total number in the collection is 25,000 as close as makes no difference. Total number of sales in 2018 was 856

Seems to me the oldest images (ie. prefix A) did badly considering the numbers that there are, but C, D, E and F, prefixes punched well above their weight in terms of proportions of sales. B and G prefixes were approximately what you would expect, and from H onwards sales were less well represented, perhaps because they have not been on Alamy long enough - either that or I am getting worse as a stock photog. 

Kumar

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

Seems to me the oldest images (ie. prefix A) did badly considering the numbers that there are, but C, D, E and F, prefixes punched well above their weight in terms of proportions of sales. B and G prefixes were approximately what you would expect, and from H onwards sales were less well represented, perhaps because they have not been on Alamy long enough - either that or I am getting worse as a stock photog. 

Kumar

Doc:
It would indicate to me that you are getting better. H through R just need time to marinate in the Alamy special sauce.

Bill

1 minute ago, Bill Brooks said:

Doc:
It would indicate to me that you are getting better. H through R just need time to marinate in the Alamy special sauce.

Bill

Agreed it does take some time Bill, but also I suspect the search engine is seeming to favour C-F images in some way at the moment

Kumar

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Agreed it does take some time Bill, but also I suspect the search engine is seeming to favour C-F images in some way at the moment

Kumar

I checked mine and I found that 78% of sales were either B or C (submitted between Feb 2010 and Nov 2012) and they make up 52% of the total images in my port. So old images sell better than new or I am getting worse at submitting sellable images. 

6 minutes ago, andremichel said:

I checked mine and I found that 78% of sales were either B or C (submitted between Feb 2010 and Nov 2012) and they make up 52% of the total images in my port. So old images sell better than new or I am getting worse at submitting sellable images. 

Wow.  This makes me wonder if I will live long enough to see decent results!  :wacko:

Just now, RedSnapper said:

not sure what you're asking Wim....

37 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

2018 - 1,071 sales (compared to 1,076 in 2017)

revenue just about the same too....

Did the ratio Live News - Regular stock remain about the same too?

And is there any change in revenue from Live News vs Stock?

wim

56 minutes ago, Dave Nelson said:

Wow.  This makes me wonder if I will live long enough to see decent results!  :wacko:

My old pics continue to be my bread and butter on Alamy. This has to do with subject matter more than anything else (it's a long story). However, sales of my newer imagery picked up somewhat in 2018, which I take to be a positive sign. It takes a long time for images to work through the system, it seems. It's also getting more competitive as the number of new images being submitted continues to grow exponentially.

20 sales (16 direct/4 distributors)

Average gross per sale: 42.09

Average net per sale: 19.11

Gross Sales Range: 3.33-250.00

Net Sales Range: 1-125.00

Months Ranked (highest to lowest # of sales)

1. September

2. October

3. Feb/June/July/Aug

4. Jan/May/Nov/Dec

5. March

On 1/1/2019 at 15:54, Betty LaRue said:

Wish I hadn’t checked the numbers. In spite of adding a couple hundred images, this was selling house, buying house, moving, losing a spouse year, so that’s why not many added.

I sold 3 more in 2018 than 2017. And my income was barely over half of 2017!

I should never have decided to participate in this thread and kept my head firmly stuck in the sand. While looking at my amounts each image sold for in 2017, I saw many good $$$ sales. A lot of really nice $$ sales. Then came 2018. A couple low $$$. Very middle of the road $$, and a LOT of low $$ and $.

What the bat c**p are you doing, Alamy? Fixing to just give ‘em all away?  Hey customer! Take these 200 images for $10, would you?

If we’re going to get low $ figures, at least give us the volume of the MICROS! 

A close to 50% decrease in income in spite of adding images?

Get real. This company is headed for failure.

Now I understand why Alamy plans on getting in our pockets even more. If I’m making peanuts, they are making 50% of peanuts. So they want a few more of our peanuts even yet. Recipe for failure.

Betty

edited to add: I actually added 400 images in 2018.

Rough year for you by the sounds of it. Very sorry to hear about your husband's passing.

More stats regarding images code licensed in 2018:

A = 7%   - 2007

B = 10% - 2008/2010

C = 8%   - 2011/2012

D = 7%   - 2013

E = 12% - 2014

F = 20%  -2015/2016

G = 4 %  - 2016

H = 8%  - 2016/2017

J = 10% - 2017

K = 10% - 2017

M = 4%  - 2018

So F is the winner, years 2015/16.

Gen

Copied from the other thread...

Don't usually partake in these threads but I though I'd add this time due to the fact that I've seen a significant increase in prices...

Sold 1 image more in 2018 than 2017, but had an increase in gross sales value of 21%. $39.94 average gross per image. 

Phil

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Rough year for you by the sounds of it. Very sorry to hear about your husband's passing.

Thank you, John. I wouldn’t wish the last few years on my worst enemy, but yes, 2018 was the worst of all. 

2019 will be better. I’ll have the opportunity to see to some of my health needs that have been put off. And I’ll have the opportunity to get out of the house and shoot more often. That is, if possible surgery doesn’t hinder. That is yet to be determined.

Betty

16 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you, John. I wouldn’t wish the last few years on my worst enemy, but yes, 2018 was the worst of all. 

2019 will be better. I’ll have the opportunity to see to some of my health needs that have been put off. And I’ll have the opportunity to get out of the house and shoot more often. That is, if possible surgery doesn’t hinder. That is yet to be determined.

Betty

Very best wishes to you, Betty. Your positive attitude is exemplary. I hope you get your health issues sorted as soon as possible.

14 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Very best wishes to you, Betty. Your positive attitude is exemplary. I hope you get your health issues sorted as soon as possible.

Thank you, Elizabeth. I’ve always been optimistic.  When things are bad, why think doom & gloom and make it worse? I’d have jumped off a bridge if I thought that way! :D 

Not sure if you’re familiar with “Gone With the Wind” book.(or film)....but I’m rather like Scarlett when it comes to bad things. “I’ll think about that tomorrow!” (Meanwhile, I’m going to make today the best I can)

I have plans to take up watercolor again, I will work on my POD images, and try to come up with better images for Alamy.

Meanwhile, I’m choosing paint for my basement living area. Start with grey, add some blue, test...too dark...add white, test, add more white..test...ahh, I nailed it. Now to have the paint store duplicate it.

Betty

Archived