"Your Alamy portfolio page"

Gallery names... 

There's limited space on the gallery tab for the gallery name.

Although the full name shows in the ALT-TEXT when we hover over the tab, it would be good if we had some options here.

Being able to abbreviate the name using apostrophes would be good.

Being able to specify an ALT-TEXT that was different from the text displayed in the tab might be useful.

Being able to vary the font size used on the gallery tab might be useful.

• Like 1

Although this seems like a nice feature, I am wondering how best it would be to use it to our benefit.

I really don’t know if most customers would take the time to browse through someone’s gallery in order to purchase more images from the same artist. I would think that the vast majority would just use the given search feature and browse the images that come up  in the results and spend a few minutes to find whatever images may suit their needs and then just purchase it then and there, for expedience sake.

For guys like myself, with virtually no social networking presence, I don’t know how I would be able to turn this to my advantage. I don’t twitter, and am rarely on Facebook. Even if I were to post the links to say my FB page, all it would do would garner a few ‘likes from friends who would have zero intent on buying.

just wondering how any of you plan to use this feature, and think it would be worth the time investment to spend on social media to promote it?  That is if you care to give feedback to your fellow competitors 😄

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ManWay said:

This is a nonsense! Nothing more than a titillation for the masses of rare contributors to Alamy. It is also IMO a device to cover up dwindling fees and say "look what we're doing for our contributors". 

Wow

thats a little harsh.

I honestly think Alamy is still one of the fairest Angencys left to deal with. I just wish I had more frequent sales, but otherwise I find no gripes with them. They usually are very good to answer questions/queries and still have a fair 50/50 split of revenues. I don’t like the breakdown percentage for distribution sales, but otherwise pretty fair agency IMO

• Love 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I cant help with the first 3 - but the customize portfolio URL  stumped me for a bit as well.  If you click on the "share" button the option to customize the URL comes up in there - but you only get to customize once, once you have chosen a URL that is it forever so make sure your spelling is right lol

THank you!!

3 hours ago, VbFolly said:

In reply to your 3rd point, I also created a custom order for my first page yesterday, as well as keywording/captioning some new photos. The first page has remained in the correct order that I set up, and the new images have appeared at the top of page 2, so this seems to work well.

Great news!

Also, the web page title does not reflect the photographer's name but just generically says "Alamy Contributor Portfolio".  It would be nice if it said "Alamy - [Photographer Name] Portfolio" where photographer name = the name we designated for our portfolio page.

Also, this is a very nice feature, but since it still has the main Alamy nav header and Alamy search box, and thus is not 100% appealing for us to share if we are trying to promote sales of our own photos, because the visitor can navigate or search away to other photographers.

I understand that might not be Alamy's intent, and they, of course, are more interested in Alamy on the whole.  Perhaps allow for a "version" of the page that could be used by the photographer that isolated only to the photographer themselves and not all of Alamy.  

For photographers who focus ONLY on Alamy and stock sales, I could see myself possibly choosing to use this as my website rather than my own external website, pointing my domain here (if I really decided all that I cared about was selling on Alamy).  In that light I would LOVE it Alamy made the Art.com print process (or some BETTER Print on Demand process) more integrated, and allow the photographer an API or private portfolio, so that I could use Alamy as my single promotional site and only have to upload and keyword to one place.

One can dream?  :)

Edited by amycicconi

Oh, one other wish - for photographers who also submit via Stockimo - please allow us to edit/manage photos in Alamy Image Manager.

Also, our Stockimo photos are not being included in the contributor portfolio.  I would really like them to be included!

Thank you

• Like 1

Thank you, Alamy, this is a good idea particularly for those who link to their Alamy collection from their own websites, social media pages, etc.

I like the ability to arrange the images using drag and drop on the first page, but wonder if it could be applied to subsequent pages as well.

7 hours ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

The main problem with the portfolio as it is, is the low quality of the header image. A large pixelated image is probably not the first thing you want to present your photos with.

I agree.  Even the Alamy preview images are very soft.  Unless Alamy can up their game to FAA standards for web display, I won't use this feature much.

I understand that for selling stock, one needs a fast display speed, and professional buyers can perhaps imagine the sharper underlying image.

Buyers of art would be more interested in print detail.

So this is not ideal for showcasing my images.

Is there a trick that I am missing to uploading the cover photo. I am uploading from one in my Alamy portfolio, tried various different ones but I just get the three blue squares of doom........how long does it take to upload the cover photo?

• Love 1

6 hours ago, njene said:

Although this seems like a nice feature, I am wondering how best it would be to use it to our benefit.

I really don’t know if most customers would take the time to browse through someone’s gallery in order to purchase more images from the same artist. I would think that the vast majority would just use the given search feature and browse the images that come up  in the results and spend a few minutes to find whatever images may suit their needs and then just purchase it then and there, for expedience sake.

For guys like myself, with virtually no social networking presence, I don’t know how I would be able to turn this to my advantage. I don’t twitter, and am rarely on Facebook. Even if I were to post the links to say my FB page, all it would do would garner a few ‘likes from friends who would have zero intent on buying.

just wondering how any of you plan to use this feature, and think it would be worth the time investment to spend on social media to promote it?  That is if you care to give feedback to your fellow competitors 😄

I'm in a similar boat regarding social media. I could only see this very nice feature being of possible benefit if Alamy somehow added a direct path to a list of contributors' portfolios so that any real photo-buyers (as opposed to FB friends) who might be interested could browse through the galleries. But then I admit to being totally old and out of it... B)

P.S. Is trying to sell stuff to friends on "social media" really "social" or is it business? Just askin'...

Edited by John Mitchell

I just noticed something very strange.  I had done a search on the Alamy site for a term "ex: gaga concert photos" and now my contributor page title is "Gaga concert stock photos & Gaga concert stock images - Alamy"

?

Re: header image quality comments by Thomas Kyhn and Reimar ...

Perhaps we could simply upload a 1904 x 308 pixel image for the background in the same way that we upload head shot.

It shouldn't necessarily have to be derived from an image that's currently available for license on Alamy.

11 minutes ago, ACC said:

I can’t get a header photo to load on my portfolio page. Using Safari on iPad. Is it just me?

I've just got mine to work - someone earlier suggested Chrome and that worked with the ipad

35 minutes ago, DDoug said:

Re: header image quality comments by Thomas Kyhn and Reimar ...

Perhaps we could simply upload a 1904 x 308 pixel image for the background in the same way that we upload head shot.

It shouldn't necessarily have to be derived from an image that's currently available for license on Alamy.

But Alamy would still have to change the way the header is saved, otherwise the image you uploaded would be badly pixelated too.

As with some others, I just can't get the header to load up. I've even left it for half-an-hour and it's still churning through the three blue squares. It's the only thing on my system that doesn't work and I was really looking forward to getting into this. Given up in frustration!!

Jim :( 

59 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

As with some others, I just can't get the header to load up. I've even left it for half-an-hour and it's still churning through the three blue squares. It's the only thing on my system that doesn't work and I was really looking forward to getting into this. Given up in frustration!!

Try Richard Baker's solution on one of the previous pages, it solved my similar problem. especially if you have tried another image before. Works on Chrome at least:

"I've cleared my issue with the Header image not saving properly. I chose another image and that worked ok, then reverted to my original favourite and that now works too. Probably a browser cache problem"-.

Edited by Niels Quist

2 hours ago, amycicconi said:

I just noticed something very strange.  I had done a search on the Alamy site for a term "ex: gaga concert photos" and now my contributor page title is "Gaga concert stock photos & Gaga concert stock images - Alamy"

?

Very strange. It could be worse. Better be really careful what one searches for. Maybe it's a curse for mentioning the banned s word in this forum :lol:

1 hour ago, Broad Norfolk said:

Firefox on Mac works no problem in my experience.

On 11/22/2018 at 17:58, ManWay said:

This is a nonsense! Nothing more than a titillation for the masses of rare contributors to Alamy. It is also IMO a device to cover up dwindling fees and say "look what we're doing for our contributors". 

I absolutely agree Richard.  Alamy trying to pacify its contributors with this drivel stinks of desperation.  Two $9.92 sales for two calendar pic licences dropped in today, which is an utter disgrace.  What better way to distract contributors than this rubbish.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 2

On 11/22/2018 at 19:52, Reimar said:

Hey Jansos, I always thought I could easily use your forum avatar for myself.  But your port picture doesn't look like me at all!

Also strange:  if  I have my port open:

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/reimar

and then click your link, I get your images, but my header image and avatar.

A few bugs yet.

That's weird. Can see what you mean about the avatar. Perhaps we should swap? :-)

18 hours ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

But Alamy would still have to change the way the header is saved, otherwise the image you uploaded would be badly pixelated too.

For now I settled on an image of mist rising from a lake that has no actual detail so the pixelation doesn't matter so much.

On another subject, if I click on "View as public" the result has large thumbnails, but if I "copy URL" from under the "Share this portfolio" link I get a page of small thumbnails. Is there a way to select one or the other?

edit: It came up with large thumbnails in Chrome and IE. In FF (my usual browser) they were small, but that's because I had it set that way for Alamy searches. When I changed that, the portfolio came up with large thumbnails.

Edited by DDoug
clarification