"Your Alamy portfolio page"

15 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

Try Richard Baker's solution on one of the previous pages, it solved my similar problem. especially if you have tried another image before. Works on Chrome at least:

"I've cleared my issue with the Header image not saving properly. I chose another image and that worked ok, then reverted to my original favourite and that now works too. Probably a browser cache problem"-.

Thanks for your suggestion, Niels. I've tried it but can't get it to work yet. I've also looked at browser cache but I struggle because I'm no expert with the guts of the thing! When I've finished some tagging I'll try downloading Chrome and see if that does it.

Regards,

Jim.

Footnote: I've downloaded Chrome and got it to work. Some tinkering to do but going in the right direction!

Edited by Broad Norfolk
Update.

Finally uploaded a header image using FF (instead of Safari - which would not let me do it).

Unfortunately when I go back to Safari the image is not sized or positioned the same as in FF.

It also looks blurred.

Allan

UPDATE: Loaded different header image and looks OK now.

Edited by Allan Bell

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Finally uploaded a header image using FF (instead of Safari - which would not let me do it).

Unfortunately when I go back to Safari the image is not sized or positioned the same as in FF.

It also looks blurred.

Allan

After succeeding with Chrome to get a header uploaded I've got a similar problem - it's not sized correctly. I'll get back to it when I can't sleep at night!

Jim ;)

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

It also looks blurred.

As it is, header images are compressed so severely that they will invariably look blurred, if not pixelated. 

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Ha! 

Allan, that has to be the best example of compression artifacts yet.

And yet it is a straightforward shot with very little work done on the raw.

Allan

Having had a play with other peoples images and galleries I would like to see it so when you click on a contributors name it takes you to their gallery with the tabs etc - at the moment it takes you to an ordinary search page - and if you have changed the order of images on the front page of your gallery that does not show, the images are in the presumably default order.

I think the gallery makes a much better interface for someone clicking on a contributors name.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Having had a play with other peoples images and galleries I would like to see it so when you click on a contributors name it takes you to their gallery with the tabs etc - at the moment it takes you to an ordinary search page - and if you have changed the order of images on the front page of your gallery that does not show, the images are in the presumably default order.

I think the gallery makes a much better interface for someone clicking on a contributors name.

That sounds like a good idea. Perhaps it's in the works.

• Love 1

Another thing - it would be incredibly helpful (and logical) to be able to assign an image to a gallery from the Image Manager - so that as you are keywording and working on sending an image live you assign it to its gallery.

• Like 2

The more I play and the more I visit other peoples galleries the more I come to think that it is essential Alamy makes them easily viewable to customers.  I have, in my time, been on the image sourcing side of things (in a very small way but still) and when doing that I was still likely to spend some time in the random brainstorming mode - or without a totally firm idea on how to proceed.  So on a coffee break - or that last 10 minutes at the end of the day - I would quite often just do random image searches.  For me it would be a great workflow to type something random into Alamy - have a picture catch my eye, click the photographer, see their portfolio tabs, visit a tab which grabbed me, see a picture in it which triggered another thought, search that thought and repeat.  I can in 10 minutes visit an awful lot of random photos doing that.  If I can do it all on one site I am much more likely to buy from that site.  The portfolio tabs add a new element to the mix - because people group things differently.

Now I am well aware I am a bit weird - and maybe the rest of the world does not work the way I do - but I do believe making portfolios accessible to customers would be a good thing.

Edited by Starsphinx
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

The more I play and the more I visit other peoples galleries the more I come to think that it is essential Alamy makes them easily viewable to customers.  I have, in my time, been on the image sourcing side of things (in a very small way but still) and when doing that I was still likely to spend some time in the random brainstorming mode - or without a totally firm idea on how to proceed.  So on a coffee break - or that last 10 minutes at the end of the day - I would quite often just do random image searches.  For me it would be a great workflow to type something random into Alamy - have a picture catch my eye, click the photographer, see their portfolio tabs, visit a tab which grabbed me, see a picture in it which triggered another thought, search that thought and repeat.  I can in 10 minutes visit an awful lot of random photos doing that.  If I can do it all on one site I am much more likely to buy from that site.  The portfolio tabs add a new element to the mix - because people group things differently.

Now I am well aware I am a bit weird - and maybe the rest of the world does not work the way I do - but I do believe making portfolios accessible to customers would be a good thing.

I totally agree. Doesn't sound weird at all to me.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

If our images are plastered all over social media will that not increase the likelihood of image theft?

44 minutes ago, Liam Bunce said:

It is not to difficult to remove watermarks with the software that is available. 

Stable doors and bolting horses come to mind. Alamy images are all over the internet anyway as they show up in Google searches. Any image you put on Alamy can be downloaded now as a large preview. These are almost 1300 pixels and Alamy have enabled downloading of that with a right-click. If somebody really wants your image and can remove the watermark there is nothing you can do about it except chase up infringements.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I quite agree - in fact I assumed Alamy would be doing what you describe. Disappointing that a Google search for "John Crellin Alamy Portfolio" gets me a page of forum stuff and no link to Alamy itself at all. Amusingly Google eventually includes my own website picture of Sheep Poo - that must be my star picture in Google's eyes!

2 hours ago, John Crellin said:

I quite agree - in fact I assumed Alamy would be doing what you describe. Disappointing that a Google search for "John Crellin Alamy Portfolio" gets me a page of forum stuff and no link to Alamy itself at all. Amusingly Google eventually includes my own website picture of Sheep Poo - that must be my star picture in Google's eyes!

I am sure there is meaning in that - I just have no idea what it is lol.

I would imagine that it is Alamys longer-term plan - seems a bit of a waste if not

2 hours ago, John Crellin said:

It's my understanding that pages need to be "indexed" by Google, a process that can take days (&days). Being so new, your page may not have been indexed yet. 

Just now, KevinS said:

It's my understanding that pages need to be "indexed" by Google, a process that can take days (&days). Being so new, your page may not have been indexed yet. 

Yet if you start a blog that is supposed to be private and forget to click the bit about preventing search engines Google will manage to index it and put it top of search results in nano seconds.

• Like 1

Searching "Kevin Shields Alamy Portfolio" or "Kevin Shields Portfolio Alamy" only gives me the equivalent search from the Alamy homepage for "Kevin Shields"(a rock guitarist, some sports figures and a smattering of my photos). Folks who are more adept at searching might know how to really search for the portfolio pages. I don't seeing this leading to increased sales, though, so not spending time on it. I like the feature, so I hope I'm wrong about sales. 

23 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I just saw that, and assumed it was a mistake on my part.

It doesn't make much sense if the people you send it to can't search within your photos, with perhaps a subsequent option to search Alamy if a desired image can't be found. Otherwise, it's rather deceptive, and of little use to an individual supplier.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

It can take months for Google to index new pages, FYI.  However, as I noted above, Alamy is not even including the photographer name in the contributor profile page title so not helpful to SEO relative to searches for the contributor name.  

• Like 1