"Your Alamy portfolio page"

I'm not actively involved with search engine optimization any more but, when I was, any commercial site worth its salt could get Google responding to changes within hours not days. But 5 years is a long time in the cyber world!

It may well be that Alamy and the like don't fit any business model that Google recognize though - they have always seemed to do less well that I might expect from the volume of  traffic I suppose them to have.

My point really was that by the time they launched the portfolio Alamy should have tried their best to optimize for a pretty unambiguous combination of not very common words "alamy portfolio". Maybe they did.

John

Good question Jeff.

Here's another one:  When I look at my portfolio page in edit view, or even when I click the "view as public" button, I see nice large thumbnails.

When I go to https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/reimar I see tiny thumbnails.  What do you see?  How can I set the portfolio to display only the larger thumbs?

28 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Searched, couldn't find.

Sorry if asked before.

If one has 1000 images of a destination
& wants all of them as single portfolio,

after one "calls them all up" how does

one select them all at once for portfolio

rather than clicking "+" one at a time x1000???

That doesn't appear to be possible.

42 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

That doesn't appear to be possible.

No, I've just tried and cannot add all at once, you have to click every one individually

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/paulthompson

I presume the idea is to showcase your best work of each subject

Edited by Paul Thompson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Reimar said:

Good question Jeff.

Here's another one:  When I look at my portfolio page in edit view, or even when I click the "view as public" button, I see nice large thumbnails.

When I go to https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/reimar I see tiny thumbnails.  What do you see?  How can I set the portfolio to display only the larger thumbs?

I see the smaller thumbs - not aware though as to how to make them larger

19 hours ago, Foreign Export said:

I see the smaller thumbs - not aware though as to how to make them larger

Martin, do me a favor and set your Alamy search setting to larger thumbs and see if my portfolio changes.

It seems when I set my Alamy search to large thumbs I see my and other's portfolios with larger thumbs.

I think for the purpose of a portfolio, only the large thumbs should show.

52 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Martin, do me a favor and set your Alamy search setting to larger thumbs and see if my portfolio changes.

It seems when I set my Alamy search to large thumbs I see my and other's portfolios with larger thumbs.

Hi Reimar, I have set my search to larger thumbs and looked at your port. There are only four images across the top line.

When I reset to small thumbs there are more images on the top line.

Yes your idea pays off.

Allan

Right Allan.  For me it's 7 images versus 13.  It all depends on my last setting for an Alamy search.

The option should be available from the portfolio page or defaulted to the large size.

If Jeff's idea of constructing galleries via searches ever arrives, I'll get to work.

On 11/24/2018 at 09:19, Thomas Kyhn said:

As it is, header images are compressed so severely that they will invariably look blurred, if not pixelated. 

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to get it to work for an hour with Safari - glad I found this thread instead of starting a new one. I'll share mine once I get it working. Got an avatar I like so far at least. B)

11 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to get it to work for an hour with Safari - glad I found this thread instead of starting a new one. I'll share mine once I get it working. Got an avatar I like so far at least. B)

Does it look like a polar bear in a snowstorm with its eyes closed? :D

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Does it look like a polar bear in a snowstorm with its eyes closed? :D

:)  Not anymore thanks to this post, but still a work in progress: here it is - just getting started

... and by coincidence the first gallery I set up was "Snow"

Edited by Marianne

Hi, I haven't seen this question addressed yet--if I missed it, sorry in advance! On the main gallery of the portfolio page, mine includes several photos that have long since been deleted. I don't see a way to get rid of them. They are deleted on my image manager. Does anyone else have this issue, and/or know how to deal with it?

54 minutes ago, bifurcationpoint said:

Hi, I haven't seen this question addressed yet--if I missed it, sorry in advance! On the main gallery of the portfolio page, mine includes several photos that have long since been deleted. I don't see a way to get rid of them. They are deleted on my image manager. Does anyone else have this issue, and/or know how to deal with it?

Very strange - that sounds like a job for Contributor Relations.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 11:09, Paul Thompson said:

No, I've just tried and cannot add all at once, you have to click every one individually

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/paulthompson

I presume the idea is to showcase your best work of each subject

I like it better than the old links and no option to edit order or anything.

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/245438.html

I would like to be able to do more than drop and drag, like "move to the end" like move to first. Or drag and drop to further back, multiple images. Good start.

8 hours ago, Reimar said:

Good news - i didn't change my settings but when i went to your portfolio page this time - the larger thumbs are there !

5 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

Good news - i didn't change my settings but when i went to your portfolio page this time - the larger thumbs are there !

In case they don't: try going to page two and then to page one again.

wim

15 hours ago, wiskerke said:

In case they don't: try going to page two and then to page one again.

wim

Hey - that works!

Still - I'd want the front page to show the large images right off the bat.  Seems like a glitch to me.

On 11/30/2018 at 11:19, JeffGreenberg said:

Searched, couldn't find.

Sorry if asked before.

Having produced a few Galleries now, I'm having a re-think about this.

It was rather easy producing a new Gallery, selecting Curate, and searching for a subject (a travel destination) and selecting the images I want to show.

So out of 600 images, I would select about 200.  That's not too much clicking and produces a more curated collection.

After all, if someone wanted all 600 pictures I have of China, they could do a search using the personal link Alamy gave me for a website.

It makes sense for this portfolio to be a showcase of selected images, rather a comprehensive collection.

Now the question is: which should I select?  I've been going with a combination of images I like, with good composition/color/interest, perhaps more saleable...

But I'm not sure of the purpose or utility of this tool.

Edited by Reimar
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 10:19, JeffGreenberg said:

Searched, couldn't find.

Sorry if asked before.

I wonder why Alamy did not leverage existing Alamy Image Manager's "filter and search" functionality to filter for KWs and image attributes,  then allow a selection of the returned images to be assigned to a new or existing portfolio page?  Alamy, through AIM's mandatory and optional data fields would make a very good start to populating and managing these portfolios.   So....perhaps Alamy can better integrate the filter and search features in AIM, add a few more attribute selections (primary, secondary category, location, time for example) for a much better solution than what is there today.  Seems like there is potential duplication of the "search and selection" functionality.  

Another option....for those of us that use Jim Keir's Alamy - Lightroom bridge plug-in, perhaps there is an opportunity to use Lightroom's DAM features to filter and assign images in LR, then "set Alamy Metadata" export feature to the desired Alamy portfolio folder.   That would be for Jim to assess feasibility of their API capabilities et al.  That would be nice to have.  Any thoughts Jim!?

Scott

5 hours ago, Reimar said:

Having produced a few Galleries now, I'm having a re-think about this.

It was rather easy producing a new Gallery, selecting Curate, and searching for a subject (a travel destination) and selecting the images I want to show.

So out of 600 images, I would select about 200.  That's not too much clicking and produces a more curated collection.

After all, if someone wanted all 600 pictures I have of China, they could do a search using the personal link Alamy gave me for a website.

It makes sense for this portfolio to be a showcase of selected images, rather a comprehensive collection.

Now the question is: which should I select?  I've been going with a combination of images I like, with good composition/color/interest, perhaps more saleable...

But I'm not sure of the purpose or utility of this tool.

Yep, I think that using it like an "art" portfolio (as Bill mentioned somewhere) with a single gallery highlighting what you consider to be your "best" or favourite images is probably the best way to go. I'm going to redo mine -- i.e. ditch the galleries -- and go that route. I guess this tool will be whatever me make of it.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1