"Your Alamy portfolio page"

Am I missing something, or do you have to search through your entire collection page-by-page in order to select a header image? The search function doesn't seem to work for finding an image to use as a header.

Edited by John Mitchell

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Am I missing something, or do you have to search through your entire collection page-by-page in order to select a header image? The search function doesn't seem to work for finding an image to use as a header.

I wanted a picture of a Swallowtail butterfly taken in 2015 for my header image, but i wasn't prepared to wade through 15-20 pages to find it, so used a more recent image on page 1. I even found the Alamy image ref hoping I could just scroll directly to that image, but you can't.

John.

1 minute ago, Stokie said:

I wanted a picture of a Swallowtail butterfly taken in 2015 for my header image, but i wasn't prepared to wade through 15-20 pages to find it, so used a more recent image on page 1. I even found the Alamy image ref hoping I could just scroll directly to that image, but you can't.

John.

So the search function doesn't work for you either? Were you using Firefox or another browser?

2 hours ago, Jansos said:

All working for me now. Great idea! Much needed addition - https://bit.ly/2BqPZWA

Hey Jansos, I always thought I could easily use your forum avatar for myself.  But your port picture doesn't look like me at all!

Also strange:  if  I have my port open:

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/reimar

and then click your link, I get your images, but my header image and avatar.

A few bugs yet.

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Ive already tweeted my portfolio to hundreds of people!!! Can only be a good thing unless you don't understand how powerful this can be

Not a twitter fan myself, but the awesome power of tweeting is undeniable. Just ask certain politicians. I wonder how many legitimate photo-buyers actually use social media to research images, though.

I was thinking more in terms of a separate "portfolios search" function for buyers. For example, a researcher looking for images of Timbuktu could enter "timbuktu" into a dedicated search box somewhere on the Alamy homepage, and a list of contributors' portfolios containing relevant images would then show up.

8 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Coincidently whilst you were typing that I was watching a documentary on buying likes, comments and influence on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/tv/BqcnFY8gEgH/

Some of it is in Dutch, but large parts are in English. One comment in Dutch was that one of the worlds largest companies in toiletries cancelled its budget on one social media company because they couldn;t be sure of its effectiveness.

That said I do notice a peak on my own website when I share an image link on Twitter, and I have all of 8 followers. Not that it has lead to sales increase of any form. I use it more as a source of knowledge which could seep through to my work.

Interesting comments. What do you think of the portfolios search box idea?

11 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Hmmm... a bit ambivalent. Sorry. I am not sure if customers are too bothered about who makes the image. I rarely get many searches on my name if there is there is the chance that it has a negative influence on CTR, although the influence of that on rank is often open to conjecture. There is the option to filter search results by contributor anyway.

I must admit I probably wont be making much use of this new feature. I'd rather buyers come to my site where I have more control over prices.

I was thinking of a function that searched contributors' portfolios by subject/location rather than by photographers names. I agree, most buyers aren't concerned about who took the images.

As it stands, I'm not much of social media fan, so I'm not sure how useful this new feature will be for me. I am going to put a portfolio together, though. I guess it can't hurt.

I'll vote for a "Select All" feature in Curate Gallery. I have almost 18k images so most search terms will give me at least a page of images. In fact my first play was with the keyword "mountains" and I have over 900. Too many to click one by one. Its a great feature though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I'll vote for a "Select All" feature in Curate Gallery. I have almost 18k images so most search terms will give me at least a page of images. In fact my first play was with the keyword "mountains" and I have over 900. Too many to click one by one. Its a great feature though. 

I was thinking that 50-100 representative images per gallery would be sufficient for a portfolio. No?

BTW, how do you think you''ll use your portfolio (if you don't mind my asking)?

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/amycicconi

I really like this capability! However, some feedback/questions:

• As noted by others - a select all when curating galleries is really needed.  Much easier to go through and then deselect the few that aren't to be included.
  • There seems to be no way to control the order that the tabs display?  For example, I created a tab that I want to be the first tab after all images, but I have no way to order the tabs.
  • I created a custom order for my all images page because I assume it will load first when someone visits and I want my best images there -  but I'm unclear - once I upload new images, is my order going to be lost?  Will the new images I upload appear at the top of the All Images category?  There's a "Move to Top" but no ability to "move down" or "move to bottom".
  • How do I customize my portfolio URL to contain my name?

Thanks

Edited by amycicconi
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, amycicconi said:

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/649523.html

• As noted by others - a select all when curating galleries is really needed.  Much easier to go through and then deselect the few that aren't to be included.
  • There seems to be no way to control the order that the tabs display?  For example, I created a tab that I want to be the first tab after all images, but I have no way to order the tabs.
  • I created a custom order for my all images page because I assume it will load first when someone visits and I want my best images there -  but I'm unclear - once I upload new images, is my order going to be lost?  Will the new images I upload appear at the top of the All Images category?  There's a "Move to Top" but no ability to "move down" or "move to bottom".

Thanks

I cant help with the first 3 - but the customize portfolio URL  stumped me for a bit as well.  If you click on the "share" button the option to customize the URL comes up in there - but you only get to customize once, once you have chosen a URL that is it forever so make sure your spelling is right lol

The main problem with the portfolio as it is, is the low quality of the header image. A large pixelated image is probably not the first thing you want to present your photos with. Not only is the portfolio header a great deal smaller (1292 × 317 px) than the image at the top on alamy.com (1920 × 650 px), it also appears to be more compressed. Whereas the current image on alamy.com (small brown cakes on a table) is 282 kb, this, for instance, has been reduced to 10 kb:

YxLAgME.jpg

And this to 79 kb:

OySpi2O.jpg

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Thomas Kyhn said:

The main problem with the portfolio as it is, is the low quality of the header image. A large pixelated image is probably not the first thing you want to present your photos with. Not only is the portfolio header a great deal smaller (1292 × 317 px) than the image at the top on alamy.com (1920 × 650 px), it also appears to be more compressed. Whereas the current image on alamy.com (small brown cakes on a table) is 282 kb, this, for instance, has been reduced to 10 kb:

YxLAgME.jpg

And this to 79 kb:

OySpi2O.jpg

I agree - I have just run through some images for the header and some of my macros look appalling there - almost to the point of "should I be deleting these" but I know they are not that low quality.
I also find it annoying we cannot move the picture chosen up or down as I have a couple that would look great if I could show the top band - but the middle band is a chicken with its head cut off.

17 hours ago, Alamy said:

We'll certainly look at that as an option for a future update, thanks.

'Smart' galleries would be a good improvement - ie galleries that you can set to automatically add images if they match certain keyword combinations.....that way they would update in real time as you uplaod the images to Alamy rather than having to manually add them

km

Edited by RedSnapper
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

I also find it annoying we cannot move the picture chosen up or down as I have a couple that would look great if I could show the top band - but the middle band is a chicken with its head cut off.

You can actually adjust the vertical position by dragging the image.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, amycicconi said:

https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/649523.html

Thanks

In reply to your 3rd point, I also created a custom order for my first page yesterday, as well as keywording/captioning some new photos. The first page has remained in the correct order that I set up, and the new images have appeared at the top of page 2, so this seems to work well.

16 hours ago, ManWay said:

This is a nonsense! Nothing more than a titillation for the masses of rare contributors to Alamy. It is also IMO a device to cover up dwindling fees and say "look what we're doing for our contributors". 

There's no call to run down your own agency on its own forum. And really no need to SHOUT.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 7
  • Dislike 2