16 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

in both real time and in a daily sales update....

depends on which information source you look at....

km

You mean “recent sales” ? As it shows exactly the same as the real time sales. 

That aside, November is terrible. Absolutely dire. 

4 hours ago, Marb said:

No..'Net revenue' shows sales as they are invoiced in real time. It can update multiple times a day depending on your level of activity.

'Sales History' only updates once a day, and it shows the sales made up to the day before today's date......(usually. Sometimes it shows early sales made on the current day too)

I probably have a few more data points than you  to call on to support my statements..

km

3 hours ago, Marb said:

I don’t think you have understood what was said. 

‘Recent sales’ simply shows you the daily updated sales, which happens once a day overnight. 

If you click on the ‘Download Sales report’ tab, select today’s date and choose ‘Date of invoice’ you will see any sale that has just occurred, even if it was 5 minutes ago.

4 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

No..'Net revenue' shows sales as they are invoiced in real time. I can update multiple times a day depending on your level of activity.

'Sales History' only updates once a day, and it shows the sales made up to the day before today's date......(usually. Sometimes it shows early sales made on the current day too)

I probably have a few more data points than you  to call on to support my statements..

km

+1. Sales History rarely shows a sale during the working day. When I post in the sales thread, I don't usually know the licence details. All I have is the fee and the Alamyref.

On 11/14/2018 at 14:18, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, it has paid off for me. My tags were incredibly messed up with the changeover to the new AIM. I went through 5000 images, one at a time, and fixed those scrambled. I found the first few years of uploading that I wasn’t very good at keywording, so I got rid of many tags and added new appropriate ones.

It was incredibly time consuming to do this, but every evening I fixed 20-30 images.  My placements and sales improved. And I begin selling some of the oldies, which was a pleasant surprise.

Betty

Well it hasn't paid off for me so far. Hours and hours of tagging and adding more keywords as well as more images. This month has fallen off a cliff for me and it's supposed to be busy running up to Christmas. 

3 minutes ago, Marb said:

Well it hasn't paid off for me so far. Hours and hours of tagging and adding more keywords as well as more images. This month has fallen off a cliff for me and it's supposed to be busy running up to Christmas. 

This isn't primarily a retail business so there aren't too many reasons why Christmas should make any difference.

On 11/16/2018 at 03:32, Sultanpepa said:

It goes from bad to worse. Not only have I not had any sales reported this month, yesterday I had 70 views which is about a third of normal. Am I being unplugged from the matrix? :(

Still stuck in the doldrums here as well. The winds picked up a bit last week but then promptly died down.

Never did like November much...

4 hours ago, Marb said:

I’ve sold one this month. Baaad month.  There are other things in my life to do than obsess about sales. There are always a few months out of the year that sales aren’t good. All the bitching in the world doesn’t change that. I’d rather focus on what I can change, and that’s the size of my port.

So I am not the only one having a terrible November accross all sites. The reason I am surprised as the months of the year (in general accross all sites) after summer are usually my best. I am surprised to see people here with bigger numbers having the same issue. Perhaps Google have been playing again.

Thinking about  both my image sales at Alamy and my video sales in other places; in years gone by I've usually seen good sales throughout the autumn and early winter, right up until the point America downs tools for Thanksgiving. From Thanksgiving until mid-January when a bleary-eyed world properly crawls back from under festive bedsheets, sales have been comparatively few and far between.  This year, however is different, and the drought of views, zooms and sales has come very early and both October and November are dire.

My one faint ray of hope is that last year I had an exceptional December at one of the video agencies. I'm hoping, though not hopeful, for a repeat performance.

ETA. Just looked at my views and zooms for yesterday and they are appallingly low.  :(

Beginning to wonder if I should be pulling the plug. It reminds me of a time when I had invested in a Unit Trust that was heavily into technology and I waited far too long before selling. As a result I lost half my money. 

I quite enjoy the process of shooting and keywording, but I could be doing other things with my life, e.g. playing music, reading, taking photos that I want to take, maybe joining some more local groups etc etc. There's far too many images available now both on Alamy and elsewhere and the returns are dwindling. I'll see the year out and see how things are, but not looking good at present. :(

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Beginning to wonder if I should be pulling the plug. It reminds me of a time when I had invested in a Unit Trust that was heavily into technology and I waited far too long before selling. As a result I lost half my money. 

I quite enjoy the process of shooting and keywording, but I could be doing other things with my life, e.g. playing music, reading, taking photos that I want to take, maybe joining some more local groups etc etc. There's far too many images available now both on Alamy and elsewhere and the returns are dwindling. I'll see the year out and see how things are, but not looking good at present. :(

Pulling the plug, you mean staying in the UK? OK I won't mention the B-word B-war!

But remember the last recession? We could see it coming here months before it really hit, because all sorts of businesses sort of hesitated doing business. My guess is that the UK will be going through that for quite a while. I hope I'm wrong.

If you look at the images found threads, a lot of what is selling is nostalgic historical stuff: great movies; fantastic moments in history that may unite people a bit. I bet the sellers of those are doing great.

wim

Just now, spacecadet said:

You're not, alas.

Maybe it's just the time of year.

Falling leaves and all that. 

Here we're having a surge in suicide among farmers.

Let's not follow that.

BTW here we have a specific suicide helpline 113 and no it's not about euthanasia.

wiki

Hmm maybe not a bad as a subject over at your end.

wim

19 hours ago, Marb said:

Most images for use during the Christmas period are sold over the summer months. For Easter sales will be autumn the previous year and so on.

We used to be in the retail business with our own shop and when we went to the C & C's we used to find Christmas goods on their shelves in summer followed by Easter goods in November.

Talk about turning the world up side down. Of course after having the Christmas goods in our shop for so long all we wanted to do when it arrived was to forget about it and RELAX.

Allan 

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Increasing time and effort for dwindling returns definitely seems to be the trend. I guess we each have to decide whether or not we want to stay in the game. I really need the extra income, no matter how piddly it becomes, so I'll continue to hang in there. However, if the doldrums turn into all-out climate change, the decision will probably be made for me. Also, loss of motivation going forward could become a major determining factor. Hope this all doesn't sound too depressing. Perhaps I shouldn't have started this thread... :unsure:

Hmm, this thread makes for depressing reading. I have only just started (not been here 3 weeks yet) but I am starting to think I might be wasting my time, think I will put my uploads on hold and wait a while to see what happens.

Archived