Your QC Rank is...

I only have two stars and I've never failed qc.. I wondered about this also, it would be good to know what you have to do to get three stars..

Possible due to your low image submissions.  There is probably a standard of number of images passed, or number of submissions passed to get to the three stars.  Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Jill

I have 344 subs, about 320 passes and only one star. Go figure, as they say.

I would think that is a high failure rate.  You probably need to go x number of submissions without a fail to improve your rating. I know it has greatly improved for you over the past year. 

I had one failure at the beginning of my submissions and never one since.  I have 3 stars. Over 150 submissions.

Although people have posted that they have never had a fail, yet only have 2 stars.  That doesn't make any sense unless they submit a lot of images per submission and the star rating is based on # of submissions, not # of images.

Jill

I have 344 subs, about 320 passes and only one star. Go figure, as they say.

I would think that is a high failure rate.  You probably need to go x number of submissions without a fail to improve your rating. I know it has greatly improved for you over the past year. 

I had one failure at the beginning of my submissions and never one since.  I have 3 stars. Over 150 submissions.

Although people have posted that they have never had a fail, yet only have 2 stars.  That doesn't make any sense unless they submit a lot of images per submission and the star rating is based on # of submissions, not # of images.

Jill

1 fail out of the last 87.

98.8%.

As it has no effect on QC time I conclude it's of no significance and if I could Tippex over it I would.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

I've just been promoted to three stars - many submissions recently (10 this year) but some blunders two or more years ago - the most recent one I really kicked myself. So my latest submission (first after going three)  is taking longer - does that still herald failure !?!

John Crellin

I've just been promoted to three stars - many submissions recently (10 this year) but some blunders two or more years ago - the most recent one I really kicked myself. So my latest submission (first after going three)  is taking longer - does that still herald failure !?!

John Crellin

Mine is taking longer too.  I hope it's not a failure.

John Crellin

Mine is taking longer too.  I hope it's not a failure.

I doubt it. There seems to be a bit of a QC slow down this week. It happens. 

I have 3.5 stars with QC. Okay okay, that number might be part of my fantasy life. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

I only have two stars but no real "failures". However, a few times I submitted smaller than acceptable images and they called it a partial failure. The funny thing is that if you submit via web and an image is too small, it simply does not get uploaded and there is no "partial failure". Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I've been a Five-star General for quite a long time, which is very nice but a bit worrying since the only way to go now is backwards. 🙃

P.S. I think that, as with Alamy rank, there must be some mysterious formula being used to determine QC stars. It probably isn't based solely on failure or passing rate.

• Love 2

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've been a Five-star General for quite a long time, which is very nice but a bit worrying since the only way to go now is backwards. 🙃

P.S. I think that, as with Alamy rank, there must be some mysterious formula being used to determine QC stars. It probably isn't based solely on failure or passing rate.

It's definitely not! 

I've never had even a single fail out of 400+ submissions so far and I'm still 3 star (happy with that !)...

So, THERE MUST BE something mysterious out there... 🙂

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

2 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

It's definitely not! 

I've never had even a single fail out of 400+ submissions so far and I'm still 3 star (happy with that !)...

So, THERE MUST BE something mysterious out there... 🙂

I've been with Alamy over nine years now and never had a fail in all that time (touch wood etc.) but I'm still on just three Q stars, like many others.

From what I see of those people on five stars I've come to the conclusion that the main difference is the greater volume and frequency of submissions and/or having Live News submission privilege. I seem to remember the five star QC ranking became a thing about the same time many ordinary contributors, like me, had Live News privileges revoked and I've always though the two things were linked in some way. PA bought Alamy  after these changes to Live News and QC ranking stars and I suspect they got Alamy to identify the top contributors as part of the preparation for the purchase deal. It doesn't seem to have made a great deal of difference so far, apart from the quicker QC acceptance for contributors on five stars, but the possessions of five stars could be something that is utilised by Alamy/PA sometime in the future. Sheep and Goats comes to mind (for the biblically literate). 

20 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

It's Alamy's special sauce... 😎

My guess is it's a combination of number of submissions per year, number of rejections, and proportion of sales to photos in one's portfolio.  If you submit a lot and sell well, Alamy probably would want you to submit more and quicker approval might encourage that.   If you're not submitting a lot and don't sell well, possibly slowing you down isn't a problem for them.   I have three stars and tend to hear from QC the next day or day after.   I got my third star after maybe a year of being on the site, and have had some rejections.   If I start selling better in proportion to the photos I have up and get additional stars, I'll suspect I'm right.   Uploading thousands of photos that don't sell more than a few a year is not not as helpful to them as selling more out of a smaller portfolio.  Some people report monthly sales with portfolios under 1,000 photos.  Some of the five starred have fewer than 10,000 photos in their portfolios, but report multiple sales per month.  Makes sense for Alamy to make it easier for those people to submit more frequently.   Makes sense to slow down people whose portfolios are large but not really selling that much.  And those of us who don't upload more than six to twenty photos once a week or less (like me) really aren't going to lose uploading chances with three stars.

If that is Alamy's thinking, it makes perfect sense to me.  Encourage high volume sellers; slow down people uploading everything in focus and properly exposed that they've shot in the last two or three decades; and not either encouraging or discouraging people who sell some but not in high proportion to what they've uploaded, but who are uploading fewer than 500 photos a year and selling some for decent enough prices.  We're the three star colonels.

Last couple of weeks, I've been thinking I've got better technical control of my photography and post processing, but need to think more about viewer attention,  framing, and how to make photos with more visual impact. 

• Love 1

Does anyone have or has anyone ever had the four star rating? I've read about it in the contrib guidelines but I only ever hear of people talking about 5 star when above the standard 3.

Edited by Cal

Stars are not money in the bank.  I've had five stars for as long as the system

has existed, might be a mistake by Alamy? but since 2003 I've had only one image fail

QC and the was because of "size."  I make images and Alamy licenses images, if Alamy does

not make my images available for license, negotiate the proper fees or do a good job of 

representing my images, then I will move my images from Alamy.  I did believe in Alamy, but recently

I've seen licenses that I've have a problem with.  I would like to continue to contribute to Alamy, but 

Alamy will need to prove their worth to me as I need to prove my worth to Alamy.

That is the way the "Photo Library" business works in 2020.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer