Surprising sales, believe it or not, they do still happen. Today I had a sale pop of up of a travel-related image that I almost didn't bother to submit because there are now so many like it out there in stock photo land. Also, I'd say that just about every tourist who visits Vancouver has a similar shot in his or her photo album. Mind you, it was a distributor bulk sale, so I won't exactly be getting rich.

How about you? Have you seen any surprising sales lately?

Surprising sales, believe it or not, they do still happen. Today I had a sale pop of up of a travel-related image that I almost didn't bother to submit because there are now so many like it out there in stock photo land. Also, I'd say that just about every tourist who visits Vancouver has a similar shot in his or her photo album. Mind you, it was a distributor bulk sale, so I won't exactly be getting rich.

How about you? Have you seen any surprising sales lately?

Ditto. ;)

Back in July I had a sale of a well-known Danish landmark which was 'snapped' on a dull day (really boring, flat, grey skies) of which there are far better examples here.  The position was hardly the best, either!  I took the image because:

• I was there
  • I knew that I wouldn't be able to return to the town/location to get a better shot/at a better time of day/in better weather and...
  • I knew that there was a market for images of the place

I didn't initially upload the image because I didn't think it bore comparison with the competition.  But, as I noticed some searches for the town and location in question, I thought "what have I got to lose".  And whaddya know?!  It sold.  :huh:  It won't make me rich and may never sell again, but it suited somebody's needs.  They're happy - and so was I :)

Congrats on your sale!

I know and agree with how Martin feels. Ten days now since I've seen even a newspaper sale. Going with the theme though my first ever sale surprised me. Taken in poor light and of a well photographed building. It hasn't sold since and I'm not surprised.

Yes, just a day ago. We went to our daughter's house several years ago for a BBQ cookout. I saw my son-in-law's paper plate loaded with a hamburger, a hot dog, baked beans and potato chips, glass of iced tea in background, whipped out my RX100 from my handbag and snapped. Guess I'd call it lifestyle? Besides food, of course.

You just never know.

Betty

Shot of old industrial buildings used for a calendar!  Like Funkyworm, I happened across this one just by chance,  walked into an office and saw my photo on the wall.

Slightly off topic, I am never ceased to be amazed at the relative prices paid. Shots for which I bust a gut to take and are quite proud of go for peanuts while a nondescript record of a domestic item or boring building in poor light brings relatively good money.

This was a surprise. It's actually of me and my mother in the early 60s and is one picture that we, as a family, were subjected to every Christmas when my dad would get the Kodak Carousel out and shine his dusty slides on the wall.

It sold this year for TV set decoration usage - $217. Dad would have been pleased!

Richard.

a-portrait-of-a-mother-in-her-41st-year-

This one sold and it was only a picture I took when I left home for a walk in the park. It was taken to get me in the mindset for the forthcoming walk. I uploaded it just out of curiosity.

full-rubbish-skip-c769c1.jpg

Allan

Shot of old industrial buildings used for a calendar!  Like Funkyworm, I happened across this one just by chance,  walked into an office and saw my photo on the wall.

Slightly off topic, I am never ceased to be amazed at the relative prices paid. Shots for which I bust a gut to take and are quite proud of go for peanuts while a nondescript record of a domestic item or boring building in poor light brings relatively good money.

Imagine how well the boring stuff could sell if it would be well lit.

;-)

wim

edit: typo

I once went to capture an eclipse. Actually, I wanted people to stop in the street and look up etc. But it was a dull and gloomy day. So I submitted some dull and gloomy pics and four have sold - for albeit gloomy amounts (Mail Online). 

Never expected this to sell really. The building where I used to work was being demolished and I was the last person to lock up before moving offices. I took the opportunity to take some photos of the older parts of the building including the old dirty urinals. 
The image has been used a few times by various newspapers.

male-urinals-in-a-public-bathroom-with-a

Here's one that I never expected to sell....

tree-shadow-on-concrete-wall-creating-an

Nor this one....

modern-concrete-bench-seat-in-a-plaza-in

I've also had sales of photographed to death landmarks that surprised me due to the fact that there are lots of better(IMHO) photos of the same out there.

Not complainin'.... ;)  :D

Phil

Uploaded this one, and a second one, as a joke. Both images have sold multiple times, and are always clicked upon.

Caption is: “Scientific proof that Bigfoot roams the very remote corners of Rouge National Urban Park inside Toronto Ontario Canada”

scientific-proof-that-bigfoot-roams-the-

Archived