Some surprising sales reported here for sure. How about images for which there are multitudes of similars (even sames) available out there, and by some miracle someone chose yours, even though it might have little to differentiate it from all the rest? Perhaps I should have called this thread "Miraculous sales" instead.

I uploaded this during Hurricane Sandy - taken with the light from my kitchen window and uploaded when I went out and found a Starbucks with power (we were out for 11 days so I was very glad to have this survival kit). It wasn't licensed for anything to do with the hurricane but some years later for a Swedish website. Reminds me it's that time of year to stock up on batteries and candles again. So glad Hermine gave us a pass! 

hurricane-sandy-survival-supplies-hard-o

I uploaded this during Hurricane Sandy - taken with the light from my kitchen window and uploaded when I went out and found a Starbucks with power (we were out for 11 days so I was very glad to have this survival kit). It wasn't licensed for anything to do with the hurricane but some years later for a Swedish website. Reminds me it's that time of year to stock up on batteries and candles again. So glad Hermine gave us a pass! 

hurricane-sandy-survival-supplies-hard-o

I was about to ask why you didn't use rechargeable batteries when I realised what a stupid question that would have been. 

How about images for which there are multitudes of similars (even sames) available out there, and by some miracle someone chose yours, even though it might have little to differentiate it from all the rest? Perhaps I should have called this thread "Miraculous sales" instead.

Over 8000 of these around and many variants, I have a few more myself, but think this is the one that sold. Luck of the draw, newest image at the time, who knows?

brooklyn-bridge-and-manhattan-skyline-fr

Edit - Looking at measures, I made this sale when my CTR was double its current value, might have some bearing on the situation.

I was quite surprised this sold. I never did find out where it was used, but from the price and day it was reported, I'd guess the Daily Mail (UK newspaper).

Oooh! Painful all those Alamy tattoos on your tongue. :D

Allan

Got one in this time.

ITMA

I was surprised and happy that this one sold to the Telegraph in an article:

flowers that look like something else
Detail of a Naked Man Orchid. (For the obvious reason they used this one)

detail-of-a-naked-man-orchid-orchis-ital

How about images for which there are multitudes of similars (even sames) available out there, and by some miracle someone chose yours, even though it might have little to differentiate it from all the rest? Perhaps I should have called this thread "Miraculous sales" instead.

Over 8000 of these around and many variants, I have a few more myself, but think this is the one that sold. Luck of the draw, newest image at the time, who knows?

brooklyn-bridge-and-manhattan-skyline-fr

Edit - Looking at measures, I made this sale when my CTR was double its current value, might have some bearing on the situation.

They wouldn't have been the first to buy the Brooklyn Bridge. A certain real-estate tycoon and would-be president probably has it on sale (again) as we speak. B)

Perhaps the "new" button really does play a significant role when it comes to these "miraculous sales."

Nice shot BTW. Taken with your NEX-6 and a legacy lens?

This one sold 5 years ago - and the horizon isn't even straight! There are now 20,962 images on Alamy and I would think there would have been quite a lot 5 years ago.

It was Novel Use and sold for $0.83 gross!!!

the-taj-mahal-a-white-marble-tomb-built-

This one sold 5 years ago - and the horizon isn't even straight! There are now 20,962 images on Alamy and I would think there would have been quite a lot 5 years ago.

Horizon not straight that's why it only went for $0.83 gross. ;)

Allan

Perhaps the "new" button really does play a significant role when it comes to these "miraculous sales."

Nice shot BTW. Taken with your NEX-6 and a legacy lens?

As always,John, NEX plus old lens.

Allan

It's a wonder the thing's stayed upright all this time! ;):D

Allan

Definitely a miraculous sale. For $0.83, they can straighten it themselves.

Over 9000 pics of this on Alamy. This one shot years ago on a camera that would certainly be substandard these days - sold earlier this year for a decent 3 figure sum. It's so similar to all the others that I can't even find which page it's on.

pisa-italy-the-leaning-tower-of-pisa-als

Theres a ruler tool in photoshop ya know....;)

Over 9000 pics of this on Alamy. This one shot years ago on a camera that would certainly be substandard these days - sold earlier this year for a decent 3 figure sum. It's so similar to all the others that I can't even find which page it's on.

pisa-italy-the-leaning-tower-of-pisa-als

Theres a ruler tool in photoshop ya know.... ;)

Yes, I always thought there was something a bit odd about that picture

Archived