Images licenced January 2024

7 hours ago, Normspics said:

We do the New York Times Wordle and then the spelling bee afterwards. For mental exercise.

I got hooked on Wordle and the Spelling Bee a while ago - Connections too - easier to do on my phone during breakfast than the Crossword- but I find I now do the Crossword less and less often. I remember when I was in law school in the early 1980's, on Thursday and Friday we had a two hour class where the second hour the professor would basically repeat what we learned the first hour, so a group of us would race to see who could finish the puzzle first. We were all done quickly. These days it seems like it takes me longer than it used to as the puzzle gets harder by the end of the week. Partly because there's more stuff I'm guessing at like actors and singers and other current culture stuff now that my kid is older than I was back then and long out of the house. 

I signed up for a Spanish conversation group with my local senior center back in late November and have been doing Duolingo daily for well over a month now. We meet once a week for an hour and a half via Zoom. I took a year and a half of Spanish back in college eons ago, so I am basically starting from scratch, but it's supposed to be another way to stave off memory problems. I also am hoping to start volunteering with a neighborhood group that helps immigrants again this spring. I'd started volunteering once a week with the pre-K program there pre-Covid and really miss working with kids. Many of them start out only knowing Spanish (but they learn English so quickly it's rather amazing).Spanish skills aren't a requirement but I'm hoping I'll be better able to converse with the new kids by the spring. I think being around kids as you age also helps keep you young. In my next life, I want to be a kindergarten teacher.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I do crosswords & Sudoku. I’ve done crosswords all of my adult life & added sudoku when it appeared on the horizon. Crosswords have made it easy for me to solve the puzzles on TV’s Wheel of Fortune.
As a child, I used to watch my mother do the daily newspaper crossword & often looked over her shoulder wishing I could do it. Sometimes, as I got older, when she was stumped she’d ask me if I knew the word from the clue. When she was done, there were always a few blanks & I’d try to solve them.

Betty, I started doing the NYTimes Sunday crossword with my mom as a young teenager too! I was in awe of her ability and learned a lot of those little crosswordese words that also come in handy in Scrabble. I loved it when she started asking me for help with clues as I got older. 

I did it daily for years starting in my 20's but with Wordle and then discovering that you could get past Genius to Queen Bee in Spelling Bee this past year or so, I've gotten out of the habit or I'd have to eat two breakfasts.  My daughter, always more into math and Suduko, started doing it recently and her times have gotten really fast so it's made me want to get back into the habit except now I'm afraid of the competition. I'll have to be brave like you @Michael Ventura and not worry about the youngster beating me 😎

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I don’t do puzzles or anything online or in competition. I absolutely hated timed tests in school, guaranteed to give me brain freeze & trembling. That would take all the fun out of it for me to try to beat someone’s time. I do them in a physical newspaper I hold in my hands. Also have bought puzzle & sudoku books. Easy ones to limber up to hard ones that take awhile. I’m decently good at them.

Edited by Betty LaRue

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I don’t do puzzles or anything online or in competition. I absolutely hated timed tests in school, guaranteed to give me brain freeze & trembling. That would take all the fun out of it for me to try to beatvsomeone’s time. I do them in a physical newspaper I hold in my hands. Also have bought puzzle & sudoku books. Easy ones to limber up to hard ones that take awhile. I’m decently good at them.

I agree about being timed, that always worked against me in school.  With the three puzzles I do in the morning, only the crossword mini is timed.  I am super close to my sister and she is fun to "compete" with, I couldn't do it with anyone else.  She lives 2 1/2 hours away from me and the best thing about exchanging our puzzle results is that we also give a little run down of what our day ahead has in store.   I feel so fortunate to have that sibling relationship!

• Love 1

One of three low $$ sales (different clients) that popped up today. This one seems appropriate for the beginning of a new year.

Standard License designed for unlimited web use across social media, websites, online advertising. Forever.

painted-turn-me-over-stone-in-a-rock-gar

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I agree about being timed, that always worked against me in school.  With the three puzzles I do in the morning, only the crossword mini is timed.  I am super close to my sister and she is fun to "compete" with, I couldn't do it with anyone else.  She lives 2 1/2 hours away from me and the best thing about exchanging our puzzle results is that we also give a little run down of what our day ahead has in store.   I feel so fortunate to have that sibling relationship!

I agree. A sibling that one is close to is precious. One of my sisters was going somewhat through with her husband the same time I was going through it with mine. Some days I called her crying & she would lift me up, other times I did the same for her. We were both caregivers and the toll was both mental & physical on us, & neither of us are spring chickens. There was absolutely no one else that could really understand our end of it except each other. It’s a case of having to walk in our shoes…the odd thing, we both lost our husbands 6 weeks apart.

I truly don’t know if we would’ve made it through without each other as sounding boards. She’s the sister who lives an hour away, & the one I drove to Oklahoma City for her surgery recently, 6 hours round trip for me & hours at the hospital awaiting word because no other of her family came through for her.

She’s a retired RN, and stormed into the rehab hospital I was in after my back surgery two years ago. I was going downhill, slowly fading away, and the nurses & resident rehab doctor turned a blind eye. Sis could tell by talking to me on the phone how bad I was.

She drove up, grabbed a nurse at the desk & demanded to see my test results. Found out I was so severely anemic I was a hair away from needing blood transfusions & the medical personnel sat on it & told me nothing. And did nothing. There were other irregularities in my blood test also. My kids were there with me every day but didn’t realize medically what was happening.
I couldn’t rehab because a tiny bit of effort made me paroxysmal gasp (horrible rasping sounds) for oxygen that wasn’t available. I didn’t have enough red blood cells to carry the oxygen I needed to even walk. My blood pressure plunged to 70/40, near going unconscious.
I didn’t have the information to understand what was happening to me. I was there 3 weeks & as bad off the day I left as the day I entered. Plus the day I entered, I was very drugged up to withstand making the transfer from the surgical hospital & was left unattended. I fell within an hour of being admitted (out of my head with drugs) and suffered a severe injury to my groin that took a year to heal. I muddled through taking showers with no assistance at a time when I had to use a wheelchair from my bed to the bathroom & wasn’t able to stand up.

Sis told my kids to get me out of there before they killed me. It was a long recovery, & a hard one, with the most severe post op pain imaginable for 6 weeks. I thought I’d lose my mind but refused Oxycodone for fear of getting hooked. So yeah, I understand about siblings. I'm here because she cared. And because my son quit his job in Alabama to take care of me for 3 months when I came home & recovered enough to care for myself. By the time he moved out, I was using a cane, but only for a couple of weeks.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Finasteride 5mg. Tablets. 28 tablets for oral administration only. WARNING:FOR USE BY MEN ONLY. Actavis. 

Finasteride 5mg. Tablets. 28 tablets for oral administration only. WARNING:FOR USE BY MEN ONLY. Actavis. Stock Photo

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 05 January 2024
Duration: In perpetuity

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I don’t do puzzles or anything online or in competition.

oh Betty AR-kansas
once again
evidence we are twins
why wouldn't taking varied photos,
processing & keywording them
exercise the mind like puzzles...??
everyone has right to choose their hobbies, but...
the last test I took was an IQ test
AND I FAILED IT  😬_ 😬_ 😬
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
oh Betty AR-kansas
once again
evidence we are twins
AND I FAILED IT  😬_ 😬_ 😬

That's only because the IQ test does not have a sense of humor.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2024 at 13:00, Michael Ventura said:

The Edmond Pettus Bridge, in Selma, Alabama, is small and would be insignificant if it wasn't for the civil rights march to Montgomery, in 1965, that ended at the bridge.  It ended when Alabama police beat the marchers, sending 17 to the hospital, it became known as the American "Bloody Sunday".   Ironically, Edmond Pettus was the Alabama "Grand Dragon" of the KKK, the white supremacist group.  It is purposeful that the bridge remain as it was and the name stays the same, so no forgets that day.

Interesting, I didn't know about Pettus being so objectionable. My wife and I did our own "civil rights road trip" a few years ago: Birmingham, Memphis, Selma and Atlanta and on another trip, to NOLA.

I found a lot of the exhibits extremely moving in the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute (despite having also been to Auschwitz!)

2AHDF53.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Seven public sauna related images sold for low $$ each. 35 % for me.

Rights cover a single article published on websites, social media and syndication of articles to third party platforms on all media and platforms worldwide in perpetuity. 

lonna-sauna-reception-blackboard-sign-le

• Love 1
  • Like 1

An international hockey tournament at the Calgary Saddledome, December 30, 1986 

Media: Television (editorial) ; Print run: Unlimited transmissions ; Placement: Use within body of show ; Start: 08-January-2024 ; Duration: In perpetuity 

a-hockey-fan-waving-the-canadian-flag-at-a-international-hockey-tournament-at-the-calgary-saddledome-arena-december-30-1986-2PCAA4B.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/BGW15C/denver-colorado-the-big-blue-bear-sculpture-by-lawrence-argent-at-BGW15C.jpg

Big Blue Bear sculpture by Lawrence Argent at the Colorado Convention Center Denver.

iQ sale: Corporate client, Wall Décor, any size - upper low $$$

wim

• Love 2
  • Like 2

On 03/01/2024 at 18:50, gvallee said:

Spooky! I shot this image 2 years ago. A few weeks back, we drove past this building again on our travels and I moaned that it was such a beautiful building but it had neved licensed. To which hubby, always encouraging and supportive, replied 'you never know...'. Guess what... My first sale of 2024... I do listen and trust him a lot...

Australia, New-Zealand and Oceania, Magazine - $$

2J3TE0M.jpg

You're off the grid Gen, well done and a good shot of a beautiful building..I looked up York and yes looks a great place to visit and record, a very pretty town.....Love to get to the West...Mmmm one day.

11 minutes ago, William Caram said:

You're off the grid Gen, well done and a good shot of a beautiful building..I looked up York and yes looks a great place to visit and record, a very pretty town.....Love to get to the West...Mmmm one day.

Off the grid for sure. We've been holed up in magnificent bushland in the Goldfields near Kalgoorlie for 3 days waiting for a spare part. Today we went to the garage and they said we needed a second part. It will come from Sydney, so back in the Bush for at least another 3 days. Today is 41C, tomorrow 42C. God bless our solar panels and inverter for aircon. And our outdoor shower.

Canada will be a shock for you. Any spice/change in life is good. Happy travels!

• Love 1

40 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Off the grid for sure. We've been holed up in magnificent bushland in the Goldfields near Kalgoorlie for 3 days waiting for a spare part. Today we went to the garage and they said we needed a second part. It will come from Sydney, so back in the Bush for at least another 3 days. Today is 41C, tomorrow 42C. God bless our solar panels and inverter for aircon. And our outdoor shower.

Canada will be a shock for you. Any spice/change in life is good. Happy travels!

Well if i was in Kalgoolie i'd be torn between two pursuits..Detecting for gold and Photography 😃 but i would find the time to do both...Wow you are cooking over there ATM with those temperatures!  a pleasant 26 degrees today in Ballarat.Hope you get those parts soon as, and yes your air conditioner is a must have where you and your husband travel to.

I'm still processing and uploading images from my first venture overseas to Noumea and Mystery Island last August, so our upcoming trip to Toronto in September will be a big trip and will really get the creative juices flowing.Just nice to start seeing a little more of the world....ATB and take care out there.    

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, William Caram said:

Well if i was in Kalgoolie i'd be torn between two pursuits..Detecting for gold and Photography 😃 but i would find the time to do both...Wow you are cooking over there ATM with those temperatures!  a pleasant 26 degrees today in Ballarat.Hope you get those parts soon as, and yes your air conditioner is a must have where you and your husband travel to.

I'm still processing and uploading images from my first venture overseas to Noumea and Mystery Island last August, so our upcoming trip to Toronto in September will be a big trip and will really get the creative juices flowing.Just nice to start seeing a little more of the world....ATB and take care out there.    

Temperature has just gone up to 42.7C 🥵

A mystery, everyone else seems able to upload images here perfectly easily and without distortion . . .

Alex

Edited by Alex Ramsay
Can't import picture without distortion
  • Like 1

"Dream", outdoor sculpture by Jaume Plensa. Sutton Manor, St.Helens, Merseyside, England, United Kingdom, Europe. 

"Dream", outdoor sculpture by Jaume Plensa. Sutton Manor, St.Helens, Merseyside, England, United Kingdom, Europe. Stock Photo

Usage: Direct mail and brochures
Media: Promotional brochures/ leaflets/inserts
Industry sector: General business services
Print run: up to 10,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 08 January 2024
End: 08 January 2025
Includes web use
  • Love 2

A rare, but gratifying, low $$$ licence arrived this a.m.  Have no record of a zoom. Photo of a classic car and one that hasn't sold before.

• Like 4

On 06/01/2024 at 10:52, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
oh Betty AR-kansas
once again
evidence we are twins
AND I FAILED IT  😬_ 😬_ 😬

It does exercise the mind, for sure!