Images licenced January 2024

57 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have some as well, similar to Wim's, but Wim's shot is better.  Spelling it right didn't help me 😬

Maybe I should include some misspellings? Let's go find out. No misspellings as far as I can see. There must have been: there are other people named Pettis.  Some are searching for bridge Selma. Only very few on just Pettus or Pettus Bridge. A couple using the bridge's correct full name. I think my other shot is better. But this one shows something some people want to illustrate: that if you're this far on the bridge, you still cannot see what's waiting for you on the other side. The other shot was licensed once; this one 3x and my third shot, a close up of the name, also on first page, never. So they're not that good.

The best? Pete Souza. Also available here on Alamy, because it's public domain.

wim

Wim, Mike, & all

flag was really there, on a porch, blowing in wind at sunset;
window was real at a museum (now I should PS away bird doo)
can't remember if young adult was with local visitors bureau or
nicely dressed passerby...?  I hope I sent him photo...

I shot 1000+ images for Alabama Tourism Office
2004-2008 all over state.  Outstanding access, good $$.
Then new governor got elected & my connection went "poof"...
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Maybe I should include some misspellings? Let's go find out. No misspellings as far as I can see. There must have been: there are other people named Pettis.  Some are searching for bridge Selma. Only very few on just Pettus or Pettus Bridge. A couple using the bridge's correct full name. I think my other shot is better. But this one shows something some people want to illustrate: that if you're this far on the bridge, you still cannot see what's waiting for you on the other side. The other shot was licensed once; this one 3x and my third shot, a close up of the name, also on first page, never. So they're not that good.

The best? Pete Souza. Also available here on Alamy, because it's public domain.

wim

There is a bridge near San Diego, California that arches extremely high on the way to an island to allow the ships to pass under. The island is Coronado. Driving across it was the scariest thing we’d done on the road, ever. It makes the Pettus Bridge look insignificant. I wonder if there’s another bridge in the world that arches even higher.
Looking at the pictures of it on Alamy doesn’t look right. Driving up all we could see was a short span until we reached the top. Like being on the way up while riding on a roller coaster. Maybe I’ve built it up in my mind as worse than it really was.

Found this:

200′

Coronado Bridge / Clearance below

It opened on August 3, 1969, during the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the founding of San Diego. The 2.12-mile long bridge has a vertical clearance of approximately 200 feet, allowing the tallest ships to pass beneath it.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Camellia bush blooming in the spring. Mid $$.

Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/8 page
Start: 04 January 2024
Duration: In perpetuity

camellia-bush-camellia-japonica-blooming

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Just now, Alan Beastall said:

Help, must have brain fade this morning. What word replaces zooms when you want to insert an image from URL?

Comp

3 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

Help, must have brain fade this morning. What word replaces zooms when you want to insert an image from URL?

Don't worry about the brain fade it gets worse as you get older.  I know and that is why I keep doing crosswords and logic puzzles etc while having breakfast.

Allan

5 minutes ago, Alan Beastall said:

Sorry Alan,

Having brain fade does not necessarily mean you have dementia or other brain robbing problems.

Allan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

There is a bridge near San Diego, California that arches extremely high on the way to an island to allow the ships to pass under. The island is Coronado. Driving across it was the scariest thing we’d done on the road, ever. It makes the Pettus Bridge look insignificant. I wonder if there’s another bridge in the world that arches even higher.
Looking at the pictures of it on Alamy doesn’t look right. Driving up all we could see was a short span until we reached the top. Like being on the way up while riding on a roller coaster. Maybe I’ve built it up in my mind as worse than it really was.

Found this:

200′

Coronado Bridge / Clearance below

It opened on August 3, 1969, during the celebration of the 200th anniversary of the founding of San Diego. The 2.12-mile long bridge has a vertical clearance of approximately 200 feet, allowing the tallest ships to pass beneath it.

Growing up in San Diego you took a ferry across to the Hotel Del (Hotel del Coronado) for Sunday brunch. A big, big treat. Having a bridge takes a bit of the excitement of the trip away.

Paulette

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't worry about the brain fade it gets worse as you get older.  I know and that is why I keep doing crosswords and logic puzzles etc while having breakfast.

Allan

We do the New York Times Wordle and then the spelling bee afterwards. For mental exercise.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I think Photoshop & LR is proof one’s brain is functioning. Although these days it is much simpler to use than it was. I taught myself to use PS around 2005 & finally bought PS for Dummies to get more out of it.

• Like 2

The Edmond Pettus Bridge, in Selma, Alabama, is small and would be insignificant if it wasn't for the civil rights march to Montgomery, in 1965, that ended at the bridge.  It ended when Alabama police beat the marchers, sending 17 to the hospital, it became known as the American "Bloody Sunday".   Ironically, Edmond Pettus was the Alabama "Grand Dragon" of the KKK, the white supremacist group.  It is purposeful that the bridge remain as it was and the name stays the same, so no forgets that day.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Normspics said:

We do the New York Times Wordle and then the spelling bee afterwards. For mental exercise.

Sort of the same for me. Every morning I do the New York Times crossword (mini), Wordle and Connections.  My sister and I compare our scores (via text) and she, more often than not, beats me.  She is three years older and super sharp.  Like a sport, It's good to play with someone better.

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sort of the same for me. Every morning I do the New York Times crossword (mini), Wordle and Connections.  My sister and I compare our scores (via text) and she, more often than not, beats me.  She is three years older and super sharp.  Like a sport, It's good to play with someone better.

It’s the same here my Wife and I play against each other every morning over coffee, a wonderful start to the day.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I do crosswords & Sudoku. I’ve done crosswords all of my adult life & added sudoku when it appeared on the horizon. Crosswords have made it easy for me to solve the puzzles on TV’s Wheel of Fortune.
As a child, I used to watch my mother do the daily newspaper crossword & often looked over her shoulder wishing I could do it. Sometimes, as I got older, when she was stumped she’d ask me if I knew the word from the clue. When she was done, there were always a few blanks & I’d try to solve them.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
thanks
but what is my name
who are you
where did this funny looking typewriter come from

Read your earlier posts and I am very sorry to read the bad news.

Allan

• Like 1