August 2023 Photo-Challenge - CHARITY - Submissions please!

Doc

Morning all!

August's challenge is Charity or Charities - something which I think the world could always do with more of!

Closing date for submissions is midnight UK time on Sunday 27th August; Winner announced 6pm UK time Sunday 3rd September.

Rules as usual, 3 images per competitor, must be Alamy stock photos; The top 8 will go forward to the poll.

Good luck!

Kumar

Here are some examples to get you going:

1. Red Cross Car on the road in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo

a-red-cross-car-on-the-road-in-goma-north-kivu-province-democratic-EK9FYR.jpg

2. RSPB staff at Bempton Cliffs Yorkshire:

rspb-staff-greeting-visitors-at-the-entrance-to-rspb-bempton-cliffs-east-yorkshire-uk-on-a-sunny-day-in-summer-2GDBFM6.jpg

3. 100th Anniversary of the Salvation Army stamp, 1965

100th-anniversary-of-the-salvation-army-commemorative-stamp-from-great-FEHBM8.jpg

4.  Charity Duck race, Wallingford Oxfordshire

people-watching-a-charity-plastic-duck-race-at-wallingford-oxfordshire-BB4HGA.jpg

Doc, thanks for picking up the baton to run this challenge!  My three charitable photos.

1) Volunteers build a free home for a family on Union Island in the Caribbean.

volunteers-building-a-home-in-the-caribb

2) Students rehab a home for Habitat for Humanity

college-volunteers-work-on-renovating-a-

3) People feeding the homeless during the holidays

usa-washington-dc-community-volunteers-a

• Love 2
  • Like 1

A bewildered Thai child receiving a food handout during the Covid lockdown

covid-19-child-free-food-handout-to-peop

Petting pony collecting donations for disabled children

petting-pony-and-charity-worker-collecti

Female pirate collecting for cancer charity

fund-raiser-uk-senior-woman-dressed-as-a

• Like 1

Sometimes we all need the help of others:

usa-9-november-2012-sandy-day-11-crews-f

On my street:   USA, 9 November 2012: Sandy Day 11 - Crews from across America lend a hand in Westchester County NY.  At left, Jimmy Libby (up in bucket) and Ed Lewando (standing) of E&E Electrical Inc. came from Boston Massachusetts to help utility company Con Edison restore power after Hurricane Sandy in Chappaqua New York for residents who have been without heat and electricity for 11 days. At left, a one of several trucks from MDR Construction Inc of Columbia, Mississippi packs up after replacing light poles downed by Hurricane Sandy.

1-november-2012-hurricane-sandy-day-4-wi

1 November 2012 Hurricane Sandy Day 4 : With much of the US East Coast including the New York suburbs still without power, two young Pleasantville NY residents, Anisha Chandy and her best friend Iman Behbehani, both 11, take advantage of the free tea provided by the Mt. Pleasant Library while their mothers power up their phones and other devices. Both families are still without electricity. Reference Librarian Alexa Brandenberg, of Tarrytown, NY and Library Clerk Michael Walsh of Chappaqua, NY chat with the girls. The library has extended their hours and provided the free beverages to help those in neighboring towns. 

An aside: When my cousin was seeking donations for a Library in Puerto Rico that was helping provide a safe space with electricity after the hurricane in Puerto Rico a few years back, I was reminded of the help we received after Hurricane Sandy. They were without power much much longer than we were. 

• Like 1

Lady from Alzheimer's Cafe UK knitting 'twiddle muffs' for dementia sufferers

alzheimers-cafe-uk-stall-advertising-the

Participants in a Pretty Muddy Race for Life event raising money for Cancer Research UK

july-15th-2023-the-reading-pretty-muddy-

Soldier in mascot costume taking part in the Farnborough Winter Half Marathon collecting money for the Help for Heroes charity. The run starts under a historic airship hangar.

farnborough-hampshire-uk-21-january-2018

• Like 1

Thank you for stepping in Doc

My 3.

1. Charity Raft Race in Stroud.

stroud-uk-25th-sep-2022-sunny-day-wilt-a-light-breeze-is-ideal-weather-for-the-return-of-the-stroud-raft-race-returning-after-the-pandemic-the-raft-race-pits-local-teams-against-each-other-on-the-section-of-the-canal-in-this-small-cotswold-town-credit-jmf-newsalamy-live-news-2K36X3P.jpg

2. The 2009 RNLI Lifeboat day at the Lizard.

lizard-lifeboat-day-lizard-point-cornwall-england-BDW77T.jpg

3.  Charity "Send a Cow" lit up the Arnolfini in Bristol.
bristol-uk-27th-feb-2020-local-artists-light-up-the-city-of-bristol-with-interactive-light-installations-pictured-is-wildlife-on-the-waterfront-on-the-arnolfini-gallery-by-the-charity-send-a-cow-and-limbic-cinema-the-first-ever-bristol-light-festival-is-free-to-attend-open-to-all-and-provided-by-bristol-bid-in-partnership-with-the-bristol-city-council-and-the-university-of-the-west-of-england-credit-mr-standfastalamy-live-news-2B1W68X.jpg

Edited by Mr Standfast
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I agree, the world needs more charity, but I have only two images to offer.

Clothing collection boxes for charities.

clothing-and-shoes-charitable-collection

Man selling Hope in the Shadows (a charitable society that helps the homeless in Vancouver) calendars at Christmas time

man-selling-hope-in-shadows-calendars-at

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

photo-of-a-british-postage-stamp-issued-for-the-50th-anniversary-of-the-british-legion-servicemen-and-nurse-of-1921-anniversaries-1971-series-2M038WX.jpg

1) Photo of a British postage stamp issued for the 50th anniversary of the British Legion

asr-animal-soul-rescue-asociacion-protectora-animal-rescue-organisation-looking-for-volunteers-and-donations-to-help-maltreated-dogs-madrid-spain-2CHNFX2.jpg                     2) Rescue Asociacion Protectora Animal rescue organisation looking for volunteers and donations to help maltreated dogs Madrid Spain

secretary-general-of-the-united-nations-ban-ki-moon-promoting-a-poverty-campaign-at-real-madrid-v-levante-bernabeu-stadium-madrid-spain-6-april-2013-2DYYG1J.jpg

3) Secretary General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon promoting a poverty campaign at Real Madrid v Levante Bernabeu Stadium Madrid Spain 6 April 2013

Edited by Tony ALS
Typo
  • Like 1

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/BCXCPE/hand-of-homeless-person-holding-out-paper-cup-with-us-flag-begging-BCXCPE.jpg

Hand of homeless person holding a cup with the American Flag.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/F52NGH/minneapolis-citykid-mobile-farmers-market-truck-volunteers-selling-F52NGH.jpg

CityKid Mobile Farmers Market truck with volunteers selling produce from their own farms to a diverse public in Minneapolis.

CityKid (Enterprises) is part of the charity Urban Ventures.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/BFGEWW/a-donations-box-with-dollar-bills-visible-behind-the-glass-window-BFGEWW.jpg

Donations box with dollar bills.

wim

• Like 1

Male participant in The Great Wheelbarrow Race from Chillagoe to Mareeba, a fundraising event in Far North Queensland, Australia

MPHA51.jpg

SES State Emergency Service Fund raising stall at Mossman Show, Far North Queensland, Australia

PGPB8R.jpg

RSPCA Street Collection Box around a dog's neck, Berry, New South Wales, Australia

J7PH8P.jpg

• Like 1

Here goes nuttin'

Waterbeach band playing in Tesco store for charity donations at Christmas Milton Cambridge Cambridgeshire.

waterbeach-band-playing-in-tesco-store-f

Charity run in the park Milton Cambridge.

charity-run-in-the-park-milton-CNWPFD.jp

Charity collector in fancy costume at Stow cum Quy Cambridgeshire Steam Rally and Country Fair England.

charity-collector-in-fancy-costume-at-st

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

My three

2HN7642.jpg

Group of short term missionaries visiting a coffee growers' coop in Jinotega, Nicaragua.   This is the retail coffee shop which serves coffee drinks and desserts.

2HMEF5X.jpg

NGO worker with deaf children from the Mayflower refuge for the deaf, a US based NGO that provides services and boarding for deaf children in Nicaragua.

2J0WCRB.jpg

Street performers raising money for a charity.

• Like 1

Some from me ....

1. Prostate Cancer UK - Cash collectors in Pink

f3ddwt.jpg

2. Big Issue salesman - (Such a lovely chap I paid for 5 & kept one)

hx0jx3.jpg

3. Cancer Research UK - Cigarette Lady 

f29er1.jpg

• Like 1

Not much in my folio for this challenge - however ...
Glenys Kinnock, Baroness Kinnock of Holyhead, campaigning for breast cancer research, Cancer Research Campaign, 2001

glenys-kinnock-baroness-kinnock-of-holyh

Sidmouth Ukelele band busking for charity, 2017

sidmouth-devon-uk-4th-aug-2017-sidmouth-

Christmas brass band. Busking for charity, 2017

sidmouth-devon-23rd-dec-2017-uk-weather-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My three, although I have very few.

Convento da Caridade, Viana do Castelo, Portugal

convento-da-caridade-viana-do-castelo-po

College of Matrons, The Close, Salisbury. residential building and charity

college-of-matrons-the-close-salisbury-w

Books and magazines for give and take in a crystal case in the street in Sarlat-la-Canéda, Dordogne, France

books-and-magazines-for-give-and-take-in