Bulk discount, flat rate
$ 0.10

Royalty-free 5 MB
1688 x 1125 pixels
221KB compressed
Bulk discount, flat rate
$ 0.27

2 minutes ago, Marb said:

I just got my new low of 0:10 for in image. Absolutely diabolical. So can someone tell me why Alamy is better than microstock ? It just gets worse and worse.

Alamy is better than microstock because I regularly get $$$ sales, as well as $$ and $ licences. If you want to change this, upload more pics and consider shooting news. You know what to do - just do it! 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Alamy is better than microstock because I regularly get $$$ sales, as well as $$ and $ licences. If you want to change this, upload more pics and consider shooting news. You know what to do - just do it! 

Upload more pics for potentially more teeny weeny sales ? 

5 minutes ago, Marb said:

Upload more pics for potentially more teeny weeny sales ? 

And it's that mindset which means you'll never get good prices.  You KNOW micro prices aren't the norm, you KNOW what type of pic garners good fees and yet you refuse to upload any more images.  Get out there and shoot and reap the rewards!

• Love 1
  • Like 5

On 12/05/2021 at 07:06, Colblimp said:

So essentially you're confirming what I suggested some months back: that Alamy really is focussing on live news, and general editorial can land where it will.

Live News isn't for all of us: none of my local papers (small and hard up) pay for images (maybe they've got some paid staff, but it's not obvious if so) and nothing much happens here.

But if Alamy made that clear, we could make more informed choices.

Also, there have been some low figures reported from Live News sales too, i.e. within 24 hrs of submission.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

So essentially you're confirming what I suggested some months back: that Alamy really is focussing on live news, and general editorial can land where it will.

Live News isn't for all of us: none of my local papers (small and hard up) pay for images (maybe they've got some paid staff, but it's not obvious if so) and nothing much happens here.

Also, there have been some low figures reported from Live News sales too, i.e. within 24 hrs of submission.

I’ve looked at my comment numerous times and... no... I can’t see where I suggested Alamy is concentrating on live news.  What I CAN see in my comment is fees I receive that range from $$$ all the way down to $, sometimes very low $. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I don't do live news. Nevertheless my average fee for this year is 15 times the fee I received yesterday, which suggests that for me, at least, low fees are an aberration rather than a norm.

Alan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 12/05/2021 at 07:06, Colblimp said:

But will it last?

https://www.shutterstock.com/press/19766

3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

has anyone who provides to former Rex ever provided info on fees?  are they as ridiculous as the micro side?

After losing Live News I looked at Rex Shutterstock Editorial signup, then images licence fees. The fees were much higher than I thought the market would accept, and suspected that actual sales would have been for far less. At that time they certainly weren’t microstock priced. 

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2021 at 23:25, Cryptoprocta said:

Exactly. I appreciate Colnblimp's suggestion but like you say, not all of us are news hound photographers. I shot a news worthy story 3 years ago with the production of BBC's War Of The Worlds. I got some good, exclusive shots but did they sell ? no. Having said that, the actual aired show was the usual BBC wokey pap.

• Dislike 2

On 14/05/2021 at 12:00, sb photos said:

After losing Live News I looked at Rex Shutterstock Editorial signup, then images licence fees. The fees were much higher than I thought the market would accept, and suspected that actual sales would have been for far less. At that time they certainly weren’t microstock priced. 

Like other online calculators those headline fees are largely a work of fiction. It is only naive walk-in buyers who would pay those prices. The overwhelming majority of buyers are savvy media companies on special sweetheart deals.

These advertised fees do have one great use - to use them to charge infringers. Alamy's homepage doesn't even achieve that. 

On 14/05/2021 at 11:49, meanderingemu said:

has anyone who provides to former Rex ever provided info on fees?  are they as ridiculous as the micro side?

I have pics on Rex/Shutterstock through a third party agency. Unfortunately the actual fees are as you suggest - just as ridiculous as at the places. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Marb said:

Exactly. I appreciate Colnblimp's suggestion but like you say, not all of us are news hound photographers. I shot a news worthy story 3 years ago with the production of BBC's War Of The Worlds. I got some good, exclusive shots but did they sell ? no. Having said that, the actual aired show was the usual BBC wokey pap.

Many stories and pictures I shoot aren't picked up by any publication, essentially I make a loss in terms of my diesel travelling and my time.  However, I don't stop shooting, I just accept it's part of the job and move on to the next story.

Edited by Colblimp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marb said:

It was truly rubbish! 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Angry about the commission change and new contract.  Don't worry, it's not all about you.

I never for one moment have thought it was. Just voicing my frustration at the way we are continuously being cut back, which was my point to be fair.

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/05/2021 at 19:57, Colblimp said:

Many stories and pictures I shoot aren't picked up by any publication, essentially I make a loss in terms of my diesel travelling and my time.  However, I don't stop shooting, I just accept it's part of the job and move on to the next story.

Exactly right.  As a largely news shooter I have bad days (most of the time) and good days.  I enjoy what I do, I have a fair understanding of what sells and plug away week after week.  On occasion I get a surprise when I get a reasonable fee for an old news image.  When I stop enjoying it then I will give up.  

• Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic