On 18/06/2021 at 09:57, mickfly said:

Maybe the library is attracting cheapskates?
This search term brings up 102,000 images most of which are, quite frankly, beyond belief!
"Florists' review [microform]"
If new buyers see a few of these on the search pages surely they will think that this is not a professional stock agency?
EG...
Florists' review (microform) Stock Photo

All by this search term were from crops from a microfilmed copy of a magazine "The Florist's Review."   I think that historical images (looks 19th Century/early 20th Century) are exempted from QC.   Yeah, the quality is quite low, but Alamy is known as a source for archival images.

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

All by this search term were from crops from a microfilmed copy of a magazine "The Florist's Review."   I think that historical images (looks 19th Century/early 20th Century) are exempted from QC.   Yeah, the quality is quite low, but Alamy is known as a source for archival images.

That's right. Images uploaded via the Archival/Reportage route (as this one was) bypass QC. You have to apply for the privilege, though.

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

That's right. Images uploaded via the Archival/Reportage route (as this one was) bypass QC. You have to apply for the privilege, though.

I appreciate that, and I have that privilege, but it seems to have been automatic scanning and uploading of the most dire images.
Anyhoo, it's not our business I suppose.

11 minutes ago, mickfly said:

I appreciate that, and I have that privilege, but it seems to have been automatic scanning and uploading of the most dire images.
Anyhoo, it's not our business I suppose.

I think 'contributors' such as this use an automated process to hoover up public domain images that they find on Flickr or wherever. 

There is a lot of dire stuff and also lots of duplication of the most easily accessed and most obvious images from museums and art galleries. Some of them have over a million images on Alamy.

Maybe it makes financial sense, anyway as you say it is Alamy's business. 

Edited by geogphotos

On 27/06/2021 at 12:32, Steve F said:

I've had photos sell for $ and subsequently for high $$. And vice versa. I take the rough with the smooth, and assume Alamy gets the best price they can (why wouldn't they)....

I am though in the (slow) process of diversifying after the commission drop through. Stock seems to be going in one direction....

This is in response to the original post at 11:47 on Sunday as well as the quote from Steve:

I too have had photos over the past 5 years sell for different prices but to go from high $$$ RM to $ for the same photo makes me question why we, the photographers, are getting a 10 percent cut in our commission/20 percent in net income and seeing photos that could sell for much more be sold for much less.  In other words, if Alamy wants to find an additional source of revenue, instead of cutting the photographers commission and increasing the liability we take on, they should look at how they are selling photos.  The photo I sold for high $$$ in 2016 is of the Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Championship.....a historical event.  The photo, imo, should actually increase in value over time, not decrease by whatever the percentage is (didn't want to try and calculate the 8xx to x difference.

The photo sold last week was for corporate use it says.  It is a direct RM sale of a historical event. 

Again, my main point for replying and for writing in the first place (I rarely write on here but consistently read compliments), is that Alamy should look at their own practices of selling the photos as there is obviously a goldmine of revenue in the 200 million plus photos they manage.  Selling photos for X amounts makes them lose their competitive edge with the other microstocks. 

Edited by MarkK
Added that the original post was on Sunday at 11:47
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkK said:

I too have had photos over the past 5 years sell for different prices but to go from high $$$ RM to $ for the same photo makes me question why we, the photographers, are getting a 10 percent cut in our commission/20 percent in net income and seeing photos that could sell for much more be sold for much less.  In other words, if Alamy wants to find an additional source of revenue, instead of cutting the photographers commission and increasing the liability we take on, they should look at how they are selling photos.  The photo I sold for high $$$ in 2016 is of the Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Championship.....a historical event.  The photo, imo, should actually increase in value over time, not decrease by whatever the percentage is (didn't want to try and calculate the 8xx to x difference.

The photo sold last week was for corporate use it says.  It is a direct RM sale of a historical event. 

Again, my main point for replying and for writing in the first place (I rarely write on here but consistently read compliments), is that Alamy should look at their own practices of selling the photos as there is obviously a goldmine of revenue in the 200 million plus photos they manage.  Selling photos for X amounts makes them lose their competitive edge with the other microstocks. 

But the point of RM fees is that they reflect the use not the file size or some sort of inherent value within the image itself. It seems entirely right that the same image can 'sell' for vastly different amounts because of the different usage. That is what RM is. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkK said:

Alamy isn't a microstock agency, at least not officially.

4 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

But who's the official ?

🤔

We need VAR on this 😄

Alamy has shown itself to just as exploitative of its contributors as the micro stock agencies. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

We need VAR on this 😄

Alamy has shown itself to just as exploitative of its contributors as the micro stock agencies. 

I had to look up to see what VAR meant !

Wasn't there a time when BAPLA membership required libraries to pay at least 50% to the photographer ?

If so, I guess that's long gone out the window.

Onwards and downwards.

Or out the door.

8 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

But who's the official ?

🤔

That's a good question.

It seems a bit odd that a lot of people coming here from microstock agencies think that Alamy is one as well. I guess it's understandable, though, since many young photographers have never known any business model other than microstock.

5 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I believe it's called Capitalism. 🤑

In Alamy's case I believe it is called being disingenuous.

'The Photographer's Friend', will never cut commission, no plans to cut commission,  blah blah

• Love 2

Just now, geogphotos said:

In Alamy's case I believe it is called being disingenuous.

'The Photographer's Friend', will never cut commission, no plans to cut commission,  blah blah

Yes, well, what can one say. It's an old story. 

Have you ever watched Michael Moore's film "Capitalism: A Love story"? It's all there.

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It seems a bit odd that a lot of people coming here from microstock agencies think that Alamy is one as well.

They soon learn that there isn't the same volume of sales here, as evidenced by many posts on the forum.

(OTOH, the glory days are well over on microstock for most people now.)

• Love 1

On 27/06/2021 at 20:08, Colblimp said:

It’s just a red arrow on a forum. It means nothing, don’t worry about it, it’s not important. As for the sale - it’s a sale! Embrace it, move on, upload more pics and be happy! 👍

Unfortunately I cannot "be happy" about a single sale for the whole month being $1.75 gross because it is unsustainable. I get more in single downloads every day on microstock. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, Marb said:

$1.75 gross because it is unsustainable. I get more in single downloads every day on microstock. 

You said that last week. Probably the week before as well, and the one before that.

I imagine the red arrows are for bleating.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Marb said:

Unfortunately I cannot "be happy" about a single sale for the whole month being $1.75 gross because it is unsustainable. I get more in single downloads every day on microstock. 

In general, the situation in stock photography is not good.
Each of us copes with this unfavorable situation differently. Some are stepping up their efforts,

others are diversifying, others are leaving this declining industry and heading somewhere.
But you are probably the most injured person who has to tell everyone.

You are very persistent in this, I would say stubborn and really good. Maybe if you used this ability in other areas, your rating would grow.
In your defense, however, I must say that your photos are not stupid or boring, on the contrary, I really like them.
They are imaginative. Maybe they're just unlucky or I don't know. Maybe karma, who knows.

I wish you good luck with all my heart. Before you succeed,
Go out and buy a nice colorful flower hat
You will come up with other ideas
you may please a passer-by.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You said that last week. Probably the week before as well, and the one before that.

I imagine the red arrows are for bleating.

You would do the same if your sales were so poor so please do not judge. if you think $1.75 (before tax) is acceptable for an image sale here that's your prerogative. 

2 hours ago, Marb said:

You would do the same if your sales were so poor so please do not judge. if you think $1.75 (before tax) is acceptable for an image sale here that's your prerogative. 

How about these from yesterday:

RKive 30 June 2021 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Marketing package - Large business, Use in marketing materials, worldwide for 5 years (excludes advertising). This package is for marketing campaigns promoting businesses which have more than 10 employees.
Start: 30 June 2021
End: 30 June 2026
$ 202.12
      geogphotos 30 June 2021 Rights Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Duration: In perpetuity All rights, all media, worldwide, in perpetuity
$ 100.00
$ 100.00
$ 100.00
$ 100.00
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Usage: Marketing package - Large business, Use in marketing materials, worldwide for 5 years (excludes advertising). This package is for marketing campaigns promoting businesses which have more than 10 employees.
$ 202.12
$ 100.00
$ 100.00
$ 100.00
$ 100.00

With all of the respect I have to you, Geogphotos (I'm sorry I don't know your real name), it's like putting salt in someone's wound ....

Plus a bit of showing off ....

Please!

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 2

23 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

With all of the respect I have to you, Geogphotos (I'm sorry I don't know your real name), it's like putting salt in someone's wound ....

Plus a bit of showing off ....

Please!

Keep on with the whine I'll bring the cheese.

Ian

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 6

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

$ 202.12
$ 100.00
$ 100.00
$ 100.00
$ 100.00

Well good for you but how does this boasting help me ?

Edited by Marb
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Marb said:

Well good for you but how does this boasting help me ?

Ah so good news is boasting.

What word do you use for a constant, constant whine about the injustices and grievances you face in the world? 

Take more photos, take better photos, take photos people want to pay good money for, and ...er..... top tip......don't put them on Suckerstock.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 2

• Alamy locked this topic