Normally, I don't quarrel with Alamy about their pricing. Novel Use is the exception to that. I opted out of it long ago. PU sales I like. 

In the two months I spent in Puerto Vallarta, every thing I saw was worth a lot more than a dime. 

• Love 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Novel use -- i.e. exploring new markets -- sounded like a great idea to me at first, but I opted out because I couldn't understand what was "novel" about editorial licenses.

exactly.  and this is why i will likely opt out in April.  I had no issue when @Alamy had a bunch of images licensed to an organisation making AI photo review testing, that to me was novel.  But w now have had over 5 cases reported on the forum, and not once has @Alamyremotely mentioned what was Novel about these licence.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I opted out when they were including that travel website that still pays small amounts but at least more than it was under novel use. I didn't consider their use novel.

Paulette

my sales for said website have not been reported as Novel use, so these may be regular price now.  Has anyone opted out of N.U. seen any sales for said travel website? 

13 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

exactly.  and this is why i will likely opt out in April.  I had no issue when @Alamy had a bunch of images licensed to an organisation making AI photo review testing, that to me was novel.  But w now have had over 5 cases reported on the forum, and not once has @Alamyremotely mentioned what was Novel about these licence.  

I figured that novel use meant going "where no man has gone before" (or woman of course). 🛸

On 17/02/2021 at 16:19, Reimar said:

It happened.  I've had low sales but this is a record.  It's even RM.  Hopefully not a sign of things to come.  I've got enough of these at that other place:

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Editorial ;  Media: Editorial website ;  Start: 17-February-2021 ; End: 17-November-2021 ;

Additional Details: Single use across website and/or digital publication such as E-book or PDF, any size, any placement, in perpetuity.

How much you ask?  $0.25 and $0.10 to me.

That is shocking, as is you can only opt out in April, I've just noticed I am "in", which I don't remember clicking, but it was a long time ago, but it does say 70% of us are in! For me there should be a minion sale of $9.99 or £10 would be better and if anyone wants less they can opt in to such schemes, or just go down the Microstock route!

So out of interest though, has anyone had any big sales from this new marketing procedure?

Our sales teams are always looking for new and innovative ways to evolve our business, whether that’s with the next big idea or a tailored solution for a key client. The images in the novel use pool give them the freedom to explore these schemes, prototypes and trials, with a variety of price points and licenses.

70% of our contributors are opted in to the novel use scheme.

• Love 1

21 hours ago, losdemas said:

I'm a little confused as to why you have received two red arrows for this. Someone wanting to shoot the messenger?

I think it's more of a down tick for the price, I nearly did, but thought better of it

CC

4 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I figured that novel use meant going "where no man has gone before" (or woman of course). 🛸

exactly.  I could have even tolerated some reduced price if Alamy was trying to develop new markets, or new approach, for example had the above mentioned website signed that all images would be purchased from Alamy, but the refusal to even provide what is Novel about the sale really worries me  

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

That is shocking, as is you can only opt out in April, I've just noticed I am "in", which I don't remember clicking, but it was a long time ago, but it does say 70% of us are in! For me there should be a minion sale of $9.99 or £10 would be better and if anyone wants less they can opt in to such schemes, or just go down the Microstock route!

So out of interest though, has anyone had any big sales from this new marketing procedure?

Our sales teams are always looking for new and innovative ways to evolve our business, whether that’s with the next big idea or a tailored solution for a key client. The images in the novel use pool give them the freedom to explore these schemes, prototypes and trials, with a variety of price points and licenses.

70% of our contributors are opted in to the novel use scheme.

Novel Use has actually been around for many years. I opted out a long time ago. I believe that some people have reported some decent NU sales. However, most of mine were around $1.00 or less.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Novel Use has actually been around for many years. I opted out a long time ago. I believe that some people have reported some decent NU sales. However, most of mine were around $1.00 or less.

Hi John, Thanks & sorry I know it's been around for ages, I meant that the Alamy blurb says "for new & Innovating ways......." I didn't think I oped in, but it says 2011 when I joined, but I haven't looked at that part of the dashboard for a while, but thought I unticked most things as there used to be more! 

Interesting to know a dollar is the going rate!

CC

Just now, ChrisC said:

Hi John, Thanks & sorry I know it's been around for ages, I meant that the Alamy blurb says "for new & Innovating ways......." I didn't think I oped in, but it says 2011 when I joined, but I haven't looked at that part of the dashboard for a while, but thought I unticked most things as there used to be more! 

Interesting to know a dollar is the going rate!

CC

Sounds as if $1.00 might have been the premium rate.  I still like the idea of novel use, but...

P.S. If we were able to opt in to NU on individual images, I might do so with some of my dust-collectors. Too bad we can't do that.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Sounds as if $1.00 might have been the premium rate.  I still like the idea of novel use, but...

P.S. If we were able to opt in to NU on individual images, I might do so with some of my dust-collectors. Too bad we can't do that.

Premium!!

Yeah I agree and thought that John, if they had a tab upon upload to add some for Novel, we aren't as impressed with, that would be better, but possibly encouraging lower prices, when they seem pretty low anyway, but seems a better solution

CC

8 hours ago, Alamy said:

Hi All

This is a license via our novel use scheme, an optional scheme which falls outside of our normal licensing.

The images in the novel use pool give our sales team the freedom to explore different schemes and trials, with a variety of price points and licenses. These include, but are not limited to trials with new customers, prototypes/proof of concept, and high volume low unit price licences.

If you decide you don’t want to be part of the Novel Use Scheme anymore you can opt out every April by following the ‘Novel use’ link under Additional Revenue Options on your contributor dashboard.

Thanks,

Alamy

There should be an option to opt out with immediate effect, and perhaps not quite equitable to be locked into contract on yearly basis. 

Its dire considering difficulties many contributors are facing during pandemic.  

😔

1 hour ago, R De Marigny said:

There should be an option to opt out with immediate effect, and perhaps not quite equitable to be locked into contract on yearly basis. 

Its dire considering difficulties many contributors are facing during pandemic.  

😔

The system has been the in place since 2007. 

What never ceases to amaze me is that most of the complaining comes from people who quite happily sell on Shutterstock and the other micro stocks but think it is the end of the world if they get the same sort of fees on Alamy. 

Nobody is forced to supply micro stock.

Nobody is forced to sign up to Alamy Novel Use. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

"Nobody is forced to supply micro stock.
Nobody is forced to sign up to Alamy Novel Use."

No, but photogaphers have been misled into doing both. 

Tens of thousands of photographers, possibly hundreds of thousands, have signed up for micro stock. 

Most of them seem to think that they know what they are doing. 

My point is that those who are willingly suppling the micro model should probably not be the ones complaining about low fees at Alamy. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

My initial understanding was that novel use meant uses that lay outside traditional licensing models, which sounds like an innovative idea. Hate to say this, but NU seems to have morphed into a way of selling images at microstock prices without calling them such. For instance, there is nothing novel (that I can see) about the editorial website use posted at the beginning of this thread. Photo-buyers with very low budgets have plenty of other places to go to these days. Why bring them here? Or perhaps I'm missing something...

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Alamy locked this topic