Lucky shots...

John Morrison

4 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

A picture of a pair of choughs is achievable by a wildlife photographer which I am not. For me to catch a  pair of Choughs and their shadows is luck.

a-pair-of-red-billed-choughs-at-the-most-southerly-point-on-the-llizard-peninsula-cornwall-uk-latin-name-is-pyrrhocorax-pyrrhocorax-2CTC4TM.jpg

Stay safe.🦔

Bet you were "chuffed" with that shot.😃

Allan

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

One that sprang to mind is this one. I had my lens focused on the kite. Just as I was about to press the shutter, he got mobbed by a Willie Wagtail. Very plucky bird.

It would have been a boring portrait of a bird doing nothing without the attack.

EJ6K25.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 5

Matching colours

a-woman-with-an-orange-umbrella-and-bag-

But luck, don't you make your own luck?

Actually I had forgotten about this shot, and not previously uploaded it, so thanks to John, I dug it out.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 5

41 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Matching colours

a-woman-with-an-orange-umbrella-and-bag-

Actually I had forgotten about this shot, and not previously uploaded it, so thanks to John, I dug it out.

That would be a good one for this months competition.

Allan

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yes... and no... I'm happy to take the credit when a pic turns out (more or less) as planned. But sometimes a pic is improved by something unforseeable... and I'll call that luck...

• Love 1

A person stood at the top of a lighthouse, silhouetted against a fiery sunset in Carleton Gaspesie Quebec Canada Stock Photo

Getting this shot, and the others in the series, was pure luck. The day had been grey all day and my camera kit was packed away in the back of the car. We were camping on the campsite that is next to the lighthouse. We had booked a bit late and we ended up at the site that was at the very end of the campsite, miles from the loos but, luckily for me, a quick one minute walk from the lighthouse. I was getting the dinner ready when the light suddenly started to glow - it went from grey to this in about a minute. I grabbed my camera with one hand whilst throwing the spatula to Helene with the other and managed to get in position in time. When the girl started to approach the lighthouse I did my Derren Brown and willed her to go up - I must have the gift because she did. She stayed there for just a few seconds, enough for me to get the photo. All I need to do now is license it.

• Love 4

Here are a couple of what I consider to be "lucky shots".

The seagull shadow appeared just as I pushed the shutter button.

seagull-shadow-on-a-red-stucco-wall-with

This hiker suddenly came out of nowhere and struck a perfect pose (Copper Canyon, Mexico)

hiker-standing-on-the-rim-of-the-copper-

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

Similar luck as John's hiker above, I was in the Temple of Dendara in Egypt and I had framed up this shot because of the shaft of light, coming from the hole in the ceiling, when this Egyptian man walked into the light shaft and stopped.  I got nervous because I was at 1/15 sec, hand held, and just braced myself against a pillar.  I managed to squeeze off a few shots before he walked on.....afterwards I checked my photos on my camera screen and only one appeared sharp, phew!

Africa Middle East Egypt Egyptian Ancient - Dendara House of Hathor - Man standing is a shaft of sun light inside Stock Photo

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Sitting on my patio, I had my camera on a monopod waiting for a bird to land in my crabapple tree. Nearby, this bird feeder, built with a small ledge for small birds, had a very smart bluejay figure out how to hang it’s large body to avail itself of the delicious sunflower seeds.

ABX6RK.jpg

• Love 4

On 27/10/2020 at 12:44, John Morrison said:

I had a ‘difference of opinion’, a while ago, about whether a pic I posted was more luck than judgement. No doubt about this pic, though, shot a couple of days ago. Anyone else like to share their lucky shots??

seagull-2D8037W.jpg

Check the caption, John!

There's an extra letter put in one of the words (quite important) 😉

19 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Check the caption, John!

There's an extra letter put in one of the words (quite important) 😉

You're going to have to point it out for me...

Statue on war memorial, Hull, East Yorkshire, England UK, commemorating soldiers who died in the South African Boer War, between 1899 and 1902

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

You're going to have to point it out for me...

Statue on war memorial, Hull, East Yorkshire, England UK, commemorating soldiers who died in the South African Boer War, between 1899 and 1902

John, it's quite confusing...

Firstly I got through your portfolio and when hovering over this particular photo I could see soldierts in the caption, but

now I open the photo and see soldiers. 

P.S. I hovered again and saw soldierts ...

🙄🙄🙄

I'm just too observant, I guess...

but we are still friends, right?

2 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

John, it's quite confusing...

Firstly I got through your portfolio and when hovering over this particular photo I could see soldierts in the caption, but

now I open the photo and see soldiers. 

P.S. I hovered again and saw soldierts ...

🙄🙄🙄

I'm just too observant, I guess...

but we are still friends, right?

I may have changed it after uploading.

Yes, still friends. Still going on holiday together, right?