Lucky shots...

John Morrison

I have hundreds of lucky shots and many more that were "unlucky shots" where the subject moved in just the wrong moment, the light vanished or similar. 🙂

This was more lucky than most (but still a result of preparation, not just by me but especially by the guy who rented out the hide):

golden-eagle-aquila-chrysaetos-attacking

• Love 2

1 hour ago, LarsMadsen said:

I have hundreds of lucky shots and many more that were "unlucky shots" where the subject moved in just the wrong moment, the light vanished or similar. 🙂

This was more lucky than most (but still a result of preparation, not just by me but especially by the guy who rented out the hide):

golden-eagle-aquila-chrysaetos-attacking

How did this play out?

Gareth

2 hours ago, pazmander said:

How did this play out?

Gareth

The hide is located in northern Sweden where Conny Lundström has been feeding the eagles for the last decade. The fox is not seen too often in winter (since there's not a lot of sunlight in northern Sweden in winter and the foxes prefer the cover of night) but this day it was active during the day. The eagle did not like to have the fox hanging around so it attacked the fox. I don't think the eagle tried to actually kill the fox, rather just to scare it off.

• Like 1

A search of my port with 'Royalty' and 'eye contact' returns eighteen images. I've no idea how I get so lucky.

the-queen-and-prince-philip-trooping-of-the-colour-in-the-mall-london-ETGCW7.jpg

The look on the face of the (sadly only partially visible) footman may give away my secret - the yellow mankini 🙂

• Love 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LarsMadsen said:

The hide is located in northern Sweden where Conny Lundström has been feeding the eagles for the last decade. The fox is not seen too often in winter (since there's not a lot of sunlight in northern Sweden in winter and the foxes prefer the cover of night) but this day it was active during the day. The eagle did not like to have the fox hanging around so it attacked the fox. I don't think the eagle tried to actually kill the fox, rather just to scare it off.

That’s very interesting. Thanks.

On 30/10/2020 at 15:24, meanderingemu said:

Lucky vs stubborn?  Did take note of spot, and went back 5-6 times, but this was better than I could have envisioned 

colorful-street-staircase-of-the-istrian-town-of-piran-with-2-walkers-with-jackets-matching-wall-colors-R9H2E7.jpg

Since you have some time on your hands 😁, you do know that something like this exists? Just for fun, try switching their colors.

wim

• Love 3

• 3 weeks later...

I like this thread so much and want to bump it so we get more of there great lucky shots :D

That cloud makes it look like she's holding a giant invisible spliff:

unfinished-yoga-pose-fallas-figurine-on-

A zebra crossing:

a-zebra-from-a-grazing-herd-is-crossing-

And then this happened:

a-do-not-pass-sign-on-a-decaying-bridge-

(taken in Chernobyl city of all places, and the reason that sign is there is because the bridge is rusty, not because... Chernobyl) 

• Love 1

This was a lucky/make your own luck shot for me. This Barn Owl would appear randomly, to hunt in the day, across some local fields. I made the fields part of my morning dog walk for a while and took the camera along with me just in case the owl appeared. On this morning the owl had just caught a vole and was making off with its catch.

My only other Barn Owl encounter was back in my wedding photography days when one couple had hired a local bird of prey centre to have a Barn Owl fly down through the Wedding ceremony room and deliver the wedding rings to the Best Man. That was a pressure shot..

a-barn-owl-flying-over-a-meadow-and-carr

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks. It's weird. But have to say that I like it too.

I will point out it's about surface. The textures of the surface echo the surface in the glass in the window. So many variations of color and texture on one wall.. And the shadow looks as if it could be painted on as well. So there's an uncanny tension between solidity and flight, and between permanence and the passing moment.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I will point out it's about surface. The textures of the surface echo the surface in the glass in the window. So many variations of color and texture on one wall.. And the shadow looks as if it could be painted on as well. So there's an uncanny tension between solidity and flight, and between permanence and the passing moment.

Interesting comments. I haven't really analyzed the image. It was one of those "Zen moments" that sometimes happen with photography.

• Love 1